PDA

View Full Version : Mecep

MackMaster
09-17-06, 02:05 PM
Can someone on here please tell me about the MECEP program? I have done a google search and talked to a recuter but I am geting mixed information. I know that it is a program that lets Marines go to college and become an officer. But I heard...
1. You must be an E-4 and 20 years old, but these can be waivered
2. You recieve a minimum of E-5 pay
3. You are commisioned as an O-2
Is this true?
How hard is it to get accepted into this program?
What do they look for when you apply?
Any info would be appeciated.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 02:13 PM
If you're thinking you're going to enlist and the go right off to MECEP you need to think again, it isn't a plan for HS kids to go to college. They will look at your grades from high school and any college you have done, your performance as a Marine, and the overall "you" as a person. As for how hard it is... it isn't real easy but people do it every year. How hard it relies on what you bring to the table. Other than that, you seem to be pretty much on target.

The Sandman
09-17-06, 03:13 PM
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0/fafd940586ee59618525677c006bfe0e/$FILE/MCO%201560.15L.pdf

Echo5November
09-18-06, 07:30 AM
If you're wanting to become an officer right off the bat, why not just go to college first, then join? Or would that make too much sense?

SgtGorman
09-18-06, 10:36 AM
Can someone on here please tell me about the MECEP program? I have done a google search and talked to a recuter but I am geting mixed information. I know that it is a program that lets Marines go to college and become an officer. But I heard...
1. You must be an E-4 and 20 years old, but these can be waivered
2. You recieve a minimum of E-5 pay
3. You are commisioned as an O-2
Is this true?
How hard is it to get accepted into this program?
What do they look for when you apply?
Any info would be appeciated.

New MarAdmin for MECEP program requirement for FY2006 at: http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/d50a617f5ac75ae085256856004f3afc/fa2c2aa1a2c2283c85257141007b2b03?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,mecep

1. You can apply to the program as a PFC, must be at least 21 when commissioning
2. You'll receive pay as E-5 for (E-1 to E-5), Unless you are SSgt or GySgt
3. You are Commissioned as O-1, unless you are a lawyer (O2 or O3)
4. It is about 10% are selected to the program
MECEP is the same as BOOST program; except that BOOST is fore Marines want to go to the Naval Academy.
The two keys they are looking for are physical ability, and leadership.

I recommend you go to college and choose the school that have NROTC..join them to get free scholarship. The become one of the Marine Corps Officer once you are graduated.

Good Luck,
Semper Fi

What doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-06, 11:11 AM
The NROTC option is a great one that people don't talk about here much. I have known some Marines that were involved in running NROTC programs and they left their future Marine Officers with some great knowledge.

Zippo
09-18-06, 12:13 PM
If you're wanting to become an officer right off the bat, why not just go to college first, then join? Or would that make too much sense?

Well put.

If you want what I did (originally, before I changed my contract to active duty)-- just anxious to be called a Marine, then you can always join the Reserves and begin going to college. I had a few buddies in boot who planned on that. This way, you will have earned the title, and you can work towards becoming an Officer at a much quicker pace than trying for MECEP or any of those programs. Plus you get the "full college experience". Trust me, that's worth it.

I leave for MCT in a few hours so this will be my last post for a while-- atleast until NBC school at Leonard Wood! :flag: --Semper Fi

His_angel
09-18-06, 12:15 PM
Might help if you filled out your profile per forum rules. To show you can follow directions and do what is expected.

LivinSoFree
09-18-06, 03:47 PM
Or go 92-Day reservist and do PLC- that's a good one to take with a better selection rate. Don't do it for the money though.

Barret
09-18-06, 05:46 PM
Hey, want to say hello to another hopeful Marine Officer. Now, I do need to tell you a few things that I have learned, from experienced Marines:

Being enlisted is NEVER a "stepping stone" on the path to becoming an Officer. One of my favorite quotes about Marine Officers is: "Officers eat last" Simple, but effective. It means that you are not there to fight personally, your main job is taking care of the men/women under your command,and to get the Mission completed succesfully. Every single MOS in the Marine Corps is designed to support the enlisted infantryman, Including Infantry Officers.

I would love to be an enlisted guy, and many times get excited thinking about going into the reserves while I go to college. But, my goal is to become an Officer, not an Enlisted Marine.

It's your choice, I know many Marines that have gone through the reserves in college, and then gotten their commision. They all say they would not trade their enlisted experience for the world. But, if your TRUE goal is to be an Officer, dont spend 4 years enlisted, just for the experience.

I may be completely wrong, however, so if you want to enlist, go for it. Just please take what I tell you and try to learn from it.

MackMaster
09-18-06, 06:32 PM
Thanks alot for all the info. My dream is to become an officer in the USMC. Im interested in the MECEP program because I would like to experiance the enlisted side first so I will have more respect for the position of the men and women under my comand when I do finally become an officer.
But at the same time I would really like to get my college over with as soon and quickly as possible.

I'm currently a high school senior and by the time I graduade I will have 18 college credits. I'm in great shape and I know I will most definetly get 300 on my PFT. I'v been shooting all my life and I should get expert with the rifle. I think my leadership is outstanding as I am the president of the chess and drama club at my high school. I got an 85 on the ASVAB although I didnt study and guessed on all the mechanical and electrical quesions. Im going into the 0200 MOS (Intel) My recruter sayes I should submit my MECEP package as soon as I get to my first duty station. Do you guys think this is to soon? He sayes he has seen at least 20 people apply and he's never seen someone be turned down. He's a great guy and I really respect his opinion, but I'm interested to hear what you all think.

(Sorry about the profile, all better now)

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-19-06, 12:37 AM
He has seen 20 people apply and none were turned down? I do believe he is trying to make the situation seem a little easier than it is. Of course, there is no reason for you not to try. If they let PFCs into the program there is no reason not to apply. I may not agree with it (they just spent a TON of money training you to do your MOS. Letting you out of it before you even get started seems stupid to me.) but I don't make the rules.