View Full Version : Marines, runners gung-ho for charities

thedrifter
09-17-06, 07:44 AM
Published - September, 17, 2006
Marines, runners gung-ho for charities
Annual 5K has largest turnout, raises $34,000

Ryan Clark
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

Minutes after finishing the 23rd annual Marine Corps Aviation Association 5K, more than 2,200 Marines dropped for push-ups in the middle of East Government Street.

Earlier, the Marines were joined by more than 800 participants in the Saturday morning race to raise money for three Northwest Florida charities: the Escambia Westgate School, which helps disabled children in pre-k to high school; the Miracle Baseball League that provides baseball for children with illnesses; and New Horizons of Northwest Florida to help disabled foster children.

Race supervisor 2nd Lt. Brian Van Hoose said the turnout was the largest in the event's history and about $34,000 was raised. Over the last two decades, the race has raised more than $215,000.

The first person to cross the finish line was University of West Florida cross country coach Matthew Dobson in 15 minutes and 4 seconds.

"I try to pick and choose a race that makes a difference because I am getting older," said Dobson, 37. "And this race makes a difference when you look at the charities it goes to."

Joining Dobson in the winner's circle was former Pensacola High runner Jennifer McGranahan, the first female finisher at 18:24.

McGranahan, an assistant with the cross country team at UWF, trained with her team to prepare for the event.

Although the race started at 8 a.m., the Marines started 10 minutes later, jogging through Seville Square to the cadence of different chants.

Leading the pack was Col. Chris "Caveman" Holzworth, who founded the race in 1983 to raise money for the families of the more than 300 people in French and U.S. barracks bombed in Beirut.

"I came back here 20 years ago and a girl told me she went to college off that money," Holzworth said. "In the Marine Corps, we nurture service to our country by fighting wars and our community, by helping out and being a part of it."

Ellie