PDA

View Full Version : When should I leave for Boot Camp?

YMPfcDeremer
09-16-06, 10:51 PM
I found out the other day that I can graduate a semester early if I get 28 credits, and if I graduated then I would probably go to Parris Island in December. I was wondering if any Marines had suggestions on wether to go in December or wait until June when I would normally go.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-16-06, 10:56 PM
Enjoy your time in HS while you can. The Marine Corps will still be there, but the memories you have your senior year are a once in a lifetime deal. If you miss out now you can't make it up later.

WJason777
09-16-06, 11:12 PM
i graduate from High school after this semester too. Right now i have 25 credits. I am not going to stay from graduation in june. I just wanna leave and do something new. So I suggest if you are tired of the everyday life and you just cant wait until June then I would say go for a January ship date like me.

J-Ro
09-17-06, 12:26 AM
I'm with Echo4, stay their as long as you Can... and hold on!
Don't worry about rushing into the Corps, you'll be a MOTIVATOR!!! soon enough.

No better friend...
No worse enemy<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

FooDawg
09-17-06, 01:50 AM
Seriously, I am 23 years old, was sick with cancer at 14, graduated form HS at 16, and regret skipping my senior year every day. I wish more then anything I could go back to high school. I know right know it sux and all, but honestly, you all got it good. Take your time to grow up and make future decisions. The Marine Corps will always be there as they have been for over 200 years. ENJOY YOUR LIFE so you DONT regret your decisions. Im now 23 going in and can't be happier about waiting until this age.

WJason777
09-17-06, 02:39 PM
I dont think I am going to regret joining the Marines in january. My high school is not all that good. For me I think it will best to leave asap.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 02:52 PM
WJason, that is your decision to make. But, we've all been there before and know from experience that what you think sucks now is something you will look back on in the future and love. I thought high school sucked, now I miss the times of no real responsibility and no real concerns.

Kildars
09-17-06, 05:07 PM
I dumped my junior year down the drain, I spent more time fighting with kids and in the principals office then I did in class. I spent more days suspended than I did in class. Now needless to say I only got 1/2 a credit that semester, so I was a year behind when I went into my senior year, I busted my ****ing ass. I took extra classes, did extra credit **** to make up credits. I was there until 2 minutes the cutoff time to turn in grades to qualify for graduation -- trying to graduate. I did, I walked and got my diploma on time. I still regret to this day throwing away the memories of my JR year, and I skipped every single assembly my senior year, which I also regret.

Go to school man, take 1/2 of what you need this semester and 1/2 of what you need next semester. You'll be more happy, don't miss your prom.

/shrug that's just my opinion.

Now that I am out of high school I miss it totally.

LEADEROFMARINES
09-17-06, 05:52 PM
Not to stir the pot but I graduated early and shipped straight to bootcamp. I missed my senior class activties, graduation, and the summer and I don't regret any of it. I was 17 when I left for bootcamp. I figured my Marine family would be prouder seeing me walk across the parade deck rather then the graduation stage. The choice is entirely up to you. Yes, the Corp will still be here but what would you be doing after you graduate? You have to ask yourself questions like that. I say leave in December if you have the chance but this is "YOUR" decision. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Stay moto! :iwo:

Achped
09-17-06, 08:40 PM
Go in December?? Aghhh....:(

I'm from Florida, and I'm used to 98* and 100% humidity. All the poolees who've graduated as Marines say the same thing "If you live in Florida, you can hack the heat..."

I'd wait the extra 6 months just to ship when I don't have to wear an extra 10 lbs of Arctic gear while doing pull ups ;)

I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold man, 50 degrees is stay-inside-as-much-as-possible weather to me haha.

But aside from that, definitely finish your senior year. You only have one. Think about 10 years from now, you go see a movie and it's about a class party before graduation, everyone's there having a good time. You never got to experience that.

Your senior year lasts 180 days, but the Marine Corps lives forever :)

Now I'm gonna sit back and wait for someone to insult me for not liking cold weather.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 09:35 PM
You'll be amazed at how well you can adapt to cold weather. From snow in NC to summers in the desert... it just took a couple of days to adjust and everything was fine.

WJason777
09-17-06, 10:09 PM
what are the temp. like at Pairis Island during January?

jackson07
09-17-06, 10:59 PM
I am graduating this year, Jan. 12th, and I ship out Jan. 22nd. I hated my junior prom and believe I will be more proud of becoming a Marine than being handed a piece of paper. I would tell you to go in December if you feel you are ready. The choice is yours. Try making a pro and con list for staying and going. That might help you out in your decision making process.

SgtGorman
09-18-06, 11:00 AM
what are the temp. like at Pairis Island during January?

The temperature at Parris Island is the same at your hometown (Savanah, Georgia). :iwo:

His_angel
09-18-06, 12:29 PM
We have obviously all had a wide range of experiences. I did my senior year of high school. I only "needed" 2 credits to graduate. However our school didn't have any half day type programs. Nor did we have "early graduation" that I'm aware of. Do I look back at high school with fond memories and think, "Gawsh. I'm glad I didn't miss that."? Heck no!! Our school like many others was "clickish." And I never really fit into any one click. Though I was on friendly terms with most. I didn't play sports because I worked. In the summer I usually worked 2 jobs. There were no slumber parties, parties with booze, or even great memories of the jr or sr proms I attended.

College? I went to college for a year. Have some great memories. But I hated being in school yet another year. It had been everyone else's goal for me to go to and graduate college. Not my goal. All the classes I took in high school were geared towards my going to college. Only one fun or lax class which was student teacher. I never even took study hall like most of the other kids.

I didn't even want to go to graduation. I just wanted to be gone from that cesspool that I was forced to go to for 3 years. I went because it was required. Sat out in the hot sun on a football field wearing my Sunday best under a friggin hot polyester graduation gown with that goofy hat on my head.

Some folks have wonderful memories of high school. Others miss the memories they didn't make. Some still went and it was bearable at best or they hated it. The point is not to do something you'll regret later in life. Realize there will be activities and functions that won't be in your memory banks if you leave early. Though sometimes it's hard to know now if you will regret something 5, 10, 25 or 50 years down the road. You might regret not staying. You might regret staying and not moving on with your plans when you first had the opportunity. Only you can best make that decision based on your feelings, experiences and the knowledge you have up to now.

Best of luck with your decisions!!

Angel

ZMielens
09-18-06, 01:27 PM
during the winter it will be cooler but have more buggs. during the summer it will be hot and humid and youll wish you went in the winter.

boomer0351swife
09-18-06, 04:38 PM
Winter beats the HECK out of summer here on PI. You will be cold, but at least you won't be hot and have to deal w/ the bugs, snakes, etc.....

outlaw3179
09-18-06, 06:46 PM
If you did graduate early would you be able to come back to your graduation and walk and receive your diploma in blues? .....now in my opinion that would be pretty damn cool. Talk about being a chick magnet. Just something to think about. Just like theese other Marines told you , it is your choice. Think about it, but if you know that you hate school and you think that it would be a better choice to leave early than go man. No need to sit around looking for trouble, trouble will find you when it wants to .

Pialphamu
09-19-06, 01:41 AM
I graduated early and skipped my high school graduation, I still wish I had gone. It would have been nice to walk across that stage and get my diploma instead of getting it in the mail. Why choose one when you can have both?

WJason777
09-19-06, 01:49 PM
If you did graduate early would you be able to come back to your graduation and walk and receive your diploma in blues? .....now in my opinion that would be pretty damn cool. Talk about being a chick magnet. Just something to think about. Just like theese other Marines told you , it is your choice. Think about it, but if you know that you hate school and you think that it would be a better choice to leave early than go man. No need to sit around looking for trouble, trouble will find you when it wants to .

Yeah thats what i am going do as soon as i get back from Boot Camp. I am going to stop by at a military store and buy some dress blues get them washed and dry clean, then stop by at my school and see hows the class of 2007 going.

outlaw3179
09-19-06, 02:00 PM
Pick them up at cash sales. on visitors Thursday. Thats what I did. Mine needed very little tailoring and its not like I had a huge stack to put on. The only difference was my buttons were not anodized but no one besides a Marine is going to know anyway.

WJason777
09-19-06, 10:30 PM
How much did you pay for them?