PDA

View Full Version : Force Recon, Navy SEALS

seth220993
09-16-06, 03:40 PM
I want to be the best, you know, and I hear quite consistently that the Navy SEALS are that, and as much as I'd love to be a Marine, it just doesn't seem as challenging as BUD/S and being a SEAL. Could anyone correct me on this? I'd love to be a Marine, but only if I can be the best there is.

:scared:

Marine84
09-16-06, 04:42 PM
I'm popping the popcorn now ya'll........................

seth220993
09-16-06, 04:48 PM
I'm dying for an answer, I just wanna know what to go for. I read Old Sarg's post about military comparison ("what is this ****?"), but I think it's a little biast. Don't hold back, but be honest, guys.

STA0311
09-16-06, 05:57 PM
I am willing to put money on the fact that this kid would NOT make it to BUD/S, NOR would he make it to RIP. And though the popcorn is popping and people have some blood boiling right now, I say that it's just another WANNA BE that AINT GONNA BE.

sgt tony
09-16-06, 07:57 PM
You state that you want to be the best well a Marine is the best of the best.
We that means all of us are trained to be the best.
If you want to be a navy seal well then join the navy and when you don't make the cut you should blame youself. Very few make it in the seals.
The Marines has the recon and they match up with the seals.
But if you want to be a Navy Seal then go try it in 4 years then you can join us Marines and then you will know that we are the best.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-16-06, 10:49 PM
If you want to be a SEAL, go give BUD/S a shot. I won't say anything bad about them, most are locked on and good to go. Of course, I would question making that decision since the Navy can't even figure out why some people make it and others do not. Those that are the most fit, have the most experience, and seem to be the best candidates are not always the ones standing tall at graduation. But, if the idea of being "haze gray and underway doesn't bother you, give it a shot. You'll probably get to work with Marines from time to time... and then you can decide which is best. I have a feeling you'll wish you would have been a Marine.

marinegreen
09-16-06, 11:27 PM
Plain and simple answer to yer ?
MARINE CORPS;There is no substitute..................
Got any more ?'s to ask a Marine ?

MG

outlaw3179
09-16-06, 11:41 PM
No Seth no ones going to correct you.... You go and do whatever you think is tough and stuff. Then when you dont make the seals and your serving chow to the Marines before they go into the fight then youll know. Remember its not a job its an adventure!!!!! Yey!!!!!

Marine84
09-17-06, 10:43 AM
And I hear that their theme song is "In The Navy" by The Village People - bleh!

rktect3j
09-17-06, 11:05 AM
I was able to participate in four seperate excercizes against Navy Seals at Pendleton. We were basically holding a position given to us. I don't remember the particulars. We were doing our LAV recon thing. Scouts out and all. And we won two out of the four engagements. We got to talk to the Seals after and they seemed like really cool people. They had nothing but respect and high praise for us and we in turn gave back. Outside of Corpsman this would be the only other worthwhile job you can do in the Navy. That is my opinion. Still, I talked to those guys and I know they weren't just flapping their gums about having respect for us. They meant it. They wanted to know as much about us as we did about them. And we weren't even Force Recon. I can only imagine what that is like. I'll give the Seals this. They sure do get all the money they want for their toys. I doubt Force Recon does. Those guys are just plain tough get the job done no matter what Marines.

seth220993
09-17-06, 07:58 PM
I don't know why you guys seem to have such a problem with wanting to be the best. After all, why do you think people want to be MARINES? I just want..to..be..the..best! Why do you guys think that the Marines ARE the best of the best? By the way, who's to say I'm not "gonna-be"?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 09:40 PM
We don't have a problem with you wanting to be the best. But if you think you can come to our site and expect us not to stand up for ourselves you're crazy. If you go to a SEAL site and start talking about Marines you're likely to get the same response.

You ask why we think we're the best. Simply put, because we are. From 1775 until today, there has been no better. Do a little research on the history of our Corps and maybe you'll begin to understand.

And nobody is to say you're not "gonna-be" other than you. You have a decision to make about what you want to do with your life. When you make it I am sure you will think you made the best decision and that you're a part of the best. Of course, we happen to know we are the best... everyone else just pretending.

marinegreen
09-18-06, 02:28 AM
Your not (gonna-be) neither until you've earned it ! The reason the Marines are the BEST is simple, look at our creed,battles fought and won, a brotherhood like no other,A uniform worn that lets the world know you are one of the Finest.I'm sure there are other brothers/sisters on here who have come across prior navy/army who seen the light and joined the Marines,I know of a few.

His_angel
09-18-06, 01:06 PM
DDuh!! Come to a Marine site and ask "who is best?" Yeah. Like it's really hard to figure out how that will be answered.

First off actually making it too boot or basic doesn't mean you'll really graduate.

Graduating boot or basic doesn't mean you will hack it to make SEALS or Recon.

IF you do make it to boot and graduate you will feel the Marines are the best. If you do make it to basic, graduate and eventually become Recon you could always wonder if you didn't make the right decision. Why? Take a drive on the highway one day. Count how many USMC stickers, emblems and flags you see compared to Army, Navy and Air Force combined. Want to talk about pride? There is your answer. Marine emblems outnumber all the other services 10 to 1. At least that has been my experience in most every city, county and state I've visited. Or what about the tattoo's seen on arms? Or the covers worn by veterans? Or who is partcipating in local parades? The tshirts worn by not only Marines but their Moms, Dads, grandparents and siblings?

Go Army, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard and change your mind after 4 years? You'll have to go through Marine boot camp to earn your Eagle, Globe and Anchor and the title of Marine. Most who serve Marine Corps do not have to go to other services basic training after having served. They might have to attend some kind of refresher course for rifle range or something depending on the time between services. So even the government recognizes who is the best trained from the get go.

On a side note, many take pride in their branch of service and even occupational specialty. Not all. "Once a Marine Always a Marine." Though once you are in a another service you're just an ex-whatever once you get out. I certainly haven't seen the same level of comraderie, brotherhood and sense of family from most in other services.

"Wannabe ain't gonna be." Well, everyone is a wannabe till they make it through boot. {Or basic if that ends up being your choice.} "Ain't gonna be" part of it? Well, you have to make a decision and work toward that goal. You haven't even made a decision yet. And many times when those who aren't fully committed to something "try to do it half heartedly" they usually don't succeed. You have to be wholly committed to your decision without any thoughts of "maybe I should have done the other thing instead..."

gonzokilla
09-29-06, 01:42 PM
listen man, i worked with the seals when i was in australia and trust me they are good to go but to me they are still second best. there is nothing in the world like claiming the title 'U.S. Marine'. If your looking for the toughest, both sides will give you a run for your money...

Camper51
09-29-06, 05:15 PM
Force Recon is absolutely the best at what they do, the Navy Seals are the best at what they do, Army Delta Force is the best at what they do. There is absolutely no question about that. What they all do is different yet similar operations. Only you, Seth, can choose which of the best you want to be, however, remember that ALL of these special operations persons are chosen from the best of the best, and if you aren't there you don't get considered. Being a wanna be isn't going to get you there, you aren't going to get there on your first enlistment either. They look for experience. There are many men who have tried to enter their ranks and have failed. Not because they weren't physically fit, but more likely because they weren't mentally prepared. These special operators go through training that makes bootcamp look like pre school. Their training is tough, so tough that anyone is allowed to dropout at any time and return to the ranks without question and without any repercussions. Only you can decide what you want to be, just be sure that you are amongst the best if you fail in your goal...

maverickmarine
09-30-06, 08:05 AM
You really need to decide if you want to be in the Navy or Marine Corps first and make it through boot camp before you give any form of special operations a shot. If you join and make it through Navy Boot and become a candlestick maker, you can go try BUDS but when you don't make it, your stuck being a candlestick maker for the remainder of your enlistment. If you make it through my Marine Corps BootCamp, you earn the title Marine, which nobody can ever take away from you, and you will always be a basic riflemen and a warrior at heart. I am of course very biased but have been in training and on JTF's with various Seal Teams and while they are squared away, they don't hold a freakin' candle to Force Recon....ooofreakinrah!!!! Get some!

cplbrooks
09-30-06, 12:11 PM
Force Recon is absolutely the best at what they do, the Navy Seals are the best at what they do, Army Delta Force is the best at what they do. There is absolutely no question about that. What they all do is different yet similar operations. Only you, Seth, can choose which of the best you want to be, however, remember that ALL of these special operations persons are chosen from the best of the best, and if you aren't there you don't get considered. Being a wanna be isn't going to get you there, you aren't going to get there on your first enlistment either. They look for experience. There are many men who have tried to enter their ranks and have failed. Not because they weren't physically fit, but more likely because they weren't mentally prepared. These special operators go through training that makes bootcamp look like pre school. Their training is tough, so tough that anyone is allowed to dropout at any time and return to the ranks without question and without any repercussions. Only you can decide what you want to be, just be sure that you are amongst the best if you fail in your goal...

Couldnt have said it better

nativedevil2061
09-30-06, 12:44 PM
I would like to thank all the DEVILDOGS who answered the clueless kid, but maybe our DEVIL-pups Should answer him. The DEVIL-pups will let him know why they are going to be MARINES, and who they think are the best of the best. Word of advice "Lost one" stop watching A&E and Discovery channel documentries.

USMCVet1992
10-25-06, 10:42 PM
Be careful about your attitude slick, there may be someone here watching who has something to say about whether you "make it" or not. As far as which one to pick, that is up to you. If you want to be in the navy slinging hash after you wash out of BUD/S, go for it. You can have the best can do attitude on the planet, that doesn't mean a training accident won't wash you out, or the instructors just decide that you don't have what it takes and decide to drop you. As far as becoming one of the best, in the Marine Corps, you have to earn all of it. You may make it into a Recon Bn, but then you MIGHT be given the opportunity to go Force after you have done 4 years in. So, yeah, Marines are the best on the planet. And dont mistake this as a dig on the SEALs, nothing but respect for all of them. You dont just get to be the best, you have to EARN IT!

ParaFrog8654
10-27-06, 05:10 AM
Seth, I Would go join a Ranger Bn. If I was you. I heard those guys are SICK!!

FistFu68
10-27-06, 01:13 PM
:usmc: Being the Son of a US.ARMY SPECIAL FORCES lifer!I made the Choice of becoming a MARINE! I Earned my JUMP WING'S the hard way,in a class of 347,GREEN-BERET'S-RANGER'S,AIR FORCE PARA RESCUE;& SEALS.At FORT BENNING,they instantly made the MARINES (STICK LEADER'S) just us 5 MARINES on TDY,from 2d. FORCE!What an Honor.The life of a FORCE RECONNAISSANCE MARINE is Hell week for a Whole Career.We had a saying back then,SEALS are a lower form of MARINE life~lmao!!!(LONG LIVE FORCE):usmc:

ParaFrog8654
10-27-06, 04:08 PM
Hey FIST, When were you with 2d Force??

Camper51
10-27-06, 04:19 PM
Just remember that if you join the Navy and go through basic training, and then you want to join the Marines, you will have to go through Boot camp.

If you join the Marines then decide you want to go Navy, no basic training. EVERY recruit goes through boot camp in the Corps (if you are enlisted) but former Marines do NOT go through basic for any other service.

Tis a priviledge and proof that the Marines do their job right and are the best, in my opinion...

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-27-06, 04:34 PM
I am forced to think about Major Bruce Norton when I think about this issue more. The man was a Corpsman with Force in Vietnam- and became a patrol leader without being a Marine. After the war, he went to college and went on with life. This former Sailor then decided he wanted back in the military. He didn't decide to go become a Navy Seal officer, he became a Marine officer. He clearly knew where he wanted to be, and he had a chance to see both sides of the coin while he was enlisted. (He also wrote some pretty dang good books.)

FistFu68
10-28-06, 12:49 PM
:usmc: YO~FROG,I STARTED DOING PULLUP'S FROM THE TOP OF THE WATERTOWER AT CAMP GEIGER;WITH 2d.FORCE IN MAY OF 1968!HOW A'BOUT YOU?:usmc: :thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-28-06, 02:35 PM
Outstanding. Never did a pull up from the water tower, but I have been on top of it. Glad to know that it has a colorful history.

Aloya
02-19-09, 08:42 PM
You say you want to be the best. "United States Marine Corps". There is your answer. No question about it, no doubt. You obviously don't know because you're not a Marine. It's ok. It's the branding of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor in our heart that no one could ever possibly know or understand to the fullest extent of what it is to be a United States Marine and what's behind the title unless you've really earned the title yourself. We are the best at who we are and what we do. Being a Marine isn't just a label we wear or a title we claim, it's also a way of life. A pride that we carry from the moment we become Marines, to our grave; something that all Marines exemplify and has done/carried out over the years and continue to do so. Whether we're active duty, reserve, retired and out of the Corps, in uniform or not, WE ARE MARINES FOREVER.

Yes earning the title United States Marine is something beyond special; you want to take it another level, suck it the hell up and put out everything you have and then some and earn the title Recon Marine. I have mad respect for SEALs, but as for Recon, we're just a whole other breed and level. You think you have what it takes, you want the best, you tell it to the Marines.

Semper Fi

ParaFrog8654
02-22-09, 01:22 AM
roger that FIST. I didnt get in the water till 90.

S/F brother

ParaFrog8654
02-22-09, 01:23 AM
Sup Bro

sparkie
02-22-09, 05:57 AM
Amazing,,,,, This thread lays around here for 3 years, and picked up like it's shiny new. How 'bout a new batch of popcorn, 84?

DocGreek
02-22-09, 06:42 AM
HEY SPARKIE!! How come FROGGY, and the newbee, haven't filled out their profiles?? In that case......I'm a SEAL, with a Navy Cross, MOH, and 8 P.H.'s!!!!.....POSERS????......DOC

sparkie
02-22-09, 06:49 AM
Doc,,, We all know you're posin as a human,,,,,,LOL. Check the age of this thread. It's so old, we may as well turn it into a playground.

SgtThrasher
02-22-09, 07:18 AM
Amen Sparkie,but I can't hold back commenting.This young man first has to join the navy and go through their boot camp and enter into a contract with the navy and then apply for the seal program. In Vietnam in 68/69 I hadn't heard of a seal,although, I'm told they existed in that era. I didn't see any seals at places like Khe Sanh either, so I can't compare their training with our , post boot camp.I'm sure the seals are a fine group and if he wishes to join the Navy,then best wishes and anchors away.

DocGreek
02-22-09, 08:34 AM
SPARKIE AND THRASHER....check page 3, of this post, then apologize to "the non-human"!! AND....YES, a MARINE can be a SEAL......BUT....HE knows to keep his mouth SHUT!!.....DOC

Quinbo
02-22-09, 11:26 AM
No comment except LOL

joecoul89
02-22-09, 01:17 PM
I dont' know if anyone saw the U.S. Army poster for recruiting, but it said "Sometimes the best soldier for the job is a U.S. Marine." They were trying to recruit prior service Marines for the Army...even they acknowledge that we are the best...

whisper07
02-26-09, 11:32 AM
I have seen Navy Seals and I am currently with a recon unit. Just to make things clear The Navy Seals are the best at what they do and no one can do it better, same goes for the Marine Recon and Force Recon they are the best at what each does pertaining to their specialty. So depending on what type of action or training you are looking for it does not matter what branch you sign up with they are special forces in their respective area of expertise.

FistFu68
02-26-09, 01:00 PM
:usmc: Sum of tha best Punchout's I've seen were Between Atlantic versus Pacific "SEALS" Little Creek Vs. Coranado :beer: :yes:

usmcfarrar
02-26-09, 03:59 PM
I am stationed on NAS Pensacola. I am a student marine, we have plenty of sailors here, who went to BUDS, and failed. They nearly didn't even make it through the first couple of weeks. if you want to be the BEST then i would say join the core. The sailors told me, nearly 85% of the class fails out. I wouldn't not want those odds.

sparkie
02-26-09, 08:25 PM
"core.",,,USMCFARRAR,,,,, Welcome the hell aboard, Marine, Glad to know ya,,,,, But work on yer spellin on the word "Corps",,,,,LOL.

Pete0331
02-26-09, 08:58 PM
The sailors told me, nearly 85% of the class fails out. I wouldn't not want those odds.

For those interested watch the documentary US Navy SEAL Class 234.

0231Marine
02-27-09, 06:42 AM
"core.",,,USMCFARRAR,,,,, Welcome the hell aboard, Marine, Glad to know ya,,,,, But work on yer spellin on the word "Corps",,,,,LOL.

And capitalize the word Marine!

As for the SEAL's, I respect them a lot as well but I've seen them in action in Ramadi for 2 years and I have to tell you, they did not impress me too much. Talking with them, they're very cool guys, laid back as you would kind of expect but in an urban environment, they acted like "cowboys" and their HKT's weren't anything impressive. 3/8 Marine sniper teams had more kills than they did and the SEAL's almost blew one of our mission's up by shooting an insurgent 30 minutes before we kicked off a Bn size operation.

Bottom line is that they are very good, but sometimes reckless and all in all, I think our Marines are better suited for urban combat. Throw them in the water though and I'll pick'em everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

DocGreek
02-27-09, 08:23 AM
Gentlemen, please do not be fooled by TV "stories", and SOME action viewed by Marine Line Company's. SEALS, use every situation, to convey specific, and appropriate responses. Hidden, classified intent...is NORMAL. " A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing!" The LESS you know....the better!....DOC

Quinbo
02-27-09, 08:56 AM
Went on libbo in Australia and the order was everyone will go on libbo in their service uniform. That meant Marines wore their alphas or blues and sailors wore their cracker jacks. Go rampaging the town and theres the seals dressed like they are back on the block cool rayban sunglasses and flip flops. What are you special? Yes we are.

DWG
02-27-09, 09:03 AM
Went on libbo in Australia and the order was everyone will go on libbo in their service uniform. That meant Marines wore their alphas or blues and sailors wore their cracker jacks. Go rampaging the town and theres the seals dressed like they are back on the block cool rayban sunglasses and flip flops. What are you special? Yes we are.

They was "undercover" dude! :marine:

Quinbo
02-27-09, 09:28 AM
Ok DWG you cracked me up LOL

Even the force Marines had to wear their uniform and everyone in the MEU knew who the seals were but nooo not them cause they was too cool to wear a uniform.

0231Marine
02-27-09, 11:43 AM
Keep in mind that those Trident Pins are pretty good target identifiers and that Marine Force Recon has no such distiguishing marks in Alpha's or Blue's.

Quinbo
02-27-09, 11:56 AM
I suppose you are right, although pretty hard to not see those gold jump wings and scuba bubble.

0231Marine
02-27-09, 12:09 PM
True enough!

DeadDog1234
07-08-10, 09:36 PM
Just look at your question, do you want to be in a special outfit (seals) or do you want to be one of us (Marines) where all of us are special.

CQB0316
07-08-10, 10:56 PM
Just look at your question, do you want to be in a special outfit (seals) or do you want to be one of us (Marines) where all of us are special.

Did you really have to revive a dead threat with your first post? Do I dare ask which "special" your refering to Marines as? hahahaha

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:45 PM
Good gravy, way to bring back the dead. Closed.