View Full Version : Loss tightens Marine's family

thedrifter
09-16-06, 08:24 AM
Loss tightens Marine's family

FUNERAL SERVICE IS TODAY
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/16/06

BY MARGARET F. BONAFIDE
TOMS RIVER BUREAU

DOVER TOWNSHIP — The stream of mourners was constant, but Terri and John Frassetto greeted each visitor, even consoling many, who filed past the flag-draped casket of their son, Marine Pfc. Vincent M. Frassetto.

While people lined up outside St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church waiting to pay their respects, Sgt. John P. Frassetto said he could not believe the goodness of the people who came to express condolences for his younger brother.

"People we don't even know," Sgt. Frassetto said. "And all the flags are at half-staff."

Private First Class Vincent M. Frassetto, 21, a 2003 graduate of Toms River High School North, was killed Sept. 7 by a roadside bomb in Iraq's Anbar province.

Among the visitors were U.S. Rep. H. James Saxton, R-N.J., Gov. Corzine and Dover Township Mayor Paul C. Brush.

Terri Frassetto, addressing the afternoon service, said her son is at peace, and the family believes that his death would have happened no matter where he was. Her son could have been stricken with illness or had other devastating outcomes which would have been even worse than what his fate turned out to be, she said.

"Our son's life was short, much too short," Terri Frassetto said.

His love for life and his ability to live life to the fullest was unparalleled, she said to several hundred mourners.

Vincent Frassetto had a bright spirit, brilliant smile and lovable attitude, agreed those who knew him and spoke at the church.

Marc Lockwood, 21, of Dover Township was Vincent Frassetto's best friend. His memories of the good times they shared will be the substance of stories he hopes to someday tell his grandchildren.

"I will never forget the kid, ever," Lockwood said. "This is ridiculously hard."

Holly Senff, 21, who graduated from high school with Lockwood and Vincent Frassetto, said though Frassetto had joined the Marines and was away, he remained a constant in her life, calling every day. They had a platonic relationship, she said.

"I was really close with Vinnie," Senff said. "He would call just to wake me up because he knew I could sleep."

Tom Faone, 25, of Dover Township said his life was changed when he met the Frassetto boys.

Faone is the best friend of Sgt. Frassetto, with whom he graduated in the class of 1999 from Toms River High School North.

"I can't believe this happened," Faone said. "It is like it happened to my own brother. When Vinnie and Johnnie came over to my house, my parents treated them like their own sons."

"Vinnie was a best friend to whoever needed him. He always kept you going," Faone said.

Said Nancy Wolf, a close family friend, "Vinnie taught us to be selfless and help others."

Sgt. Frassetto was accompanied by dozens of other Marines. In a ceremony in front of the casket, which was guarded by a Marine on each end, Frassetto was presented with a Purple Heart for his brother from the Marines. Frassetto gave the medal to his parents.

Ellie Conenello of Montvale, Terri Frassetto's mother, has been by her daughter's side since learning of the tragic news. The family has come together in a show of strength, and her daughter is a pillar, Conenello said.

The elder John Frassetto's brothers, Anthony and Joseph Frassetto, came to support the family, and both are forever sorry that they missed the last opportunity to see Vincent Frassetto before he left for Iraq at a family party for both Marines.

The men admired their brother's strength and family values.

"The whole family is tight," Joseph Frassetto said.

"Vinnie really enjoyed life," Anthony Frassetto said.

The Frassetto daughters, who share their brothers' bright smiles, wore a pendant with St. Michael because they believe their brother is in his company.

Gina Ortiz of Orange, Calif., Vincent Frassetto's older sister and Alyssa Frassetto of Dover Township, said they believe the horrendous rain storm on Friday was God's way of getting bad weather out of the way in preparation for the services.

"As soon as people started coming the sun came out," Ortiz said.

Frassetto joined the Marines in August 2004 and was serving in the 1st Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Camp Lejeune, N.C.

In Anbar province in Iraq, where Vincent Frassetto had served for only two weeks, some U.S. troops were moved to Baghdad because quelling sectarian violence in the capital is a higher priority, authorities said, though the insurgency in Anbar remains strong.

Margaret F. Bonafide: (732) 557-5740 or bonafide@app.com

Ellie