PDA

View Full Version : President Bush Pays 4TH CAG Marines and Sailors an Honorable Visit on The Night They

thedrifter
09-16-06, 07:23 AM
Thursday, September 14, 2006
President Bush Pays 4TH CAG Marines and Sailors an Honorable Visit on The Night They Deploy to Iraq

Cpl. Virginia Lawrence
Naval District Washington
NAVAL DISTRICT WASHINGTON, Washington D.C. – Marines and sailors of the 4th Civil Affairs Group (CAG) were surprised by a visit from President Bush on Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland the night of their deployment to Iraq.

After lining up outside to watch Air Force One land, the Marines and sailors stood by as he approached them to shake their hands and thank them for their service to their country.

The President thanked the Marines on an individual basis while shaking their hands. Lance Cpl. Steven G. Gillespie was honored to personally have the President of the United States of America thank him for his service.

“Look, I still have goose bumps,” said HN Jan R. Maddela after President Bush’s departure.

The Marines appreciated the surprise visit by the president on the night of their deployment.

“I think it’s great someone that important and that busy can take the time and come see us,” said Cpl. Jason Voorhees, a Marine with the 4th CAG.

“The support from the president enhanced the morale of the Marines and was an honor, giving them more motivation in preparation of their third deployment,” said HM2 JoseDaniel Perez.

President Bush was not the only VIP to visit the 4th CAG. Major General Cornell A.Wilson Jr. also made an appearance to support the Marines and see them off.

“I support them in every aspect and I want to say Godspeed and Semper Fi,” Said Wilson.

This is the third deployment to Iraq for the 4th CAG. The CAG serves as a liason between commander and the Iraqi civilians working to provide civil-military operations in the western provinces of Iraq.

The unit is made of over 200 Reserve Marines that have been activated since June 15 to deploy to Iraq for seven months to a year.

Ellie