PDA

View Full Version : Could I bring a studio to iraq?

Drooo
09-16-06, 03:28 AM
Just like a computer and a keyboard?Im just wondering because my hobby was producing beats..but My dream is to be a USMC..I dont wanna hear that this aint suited for me because If I have to I would drop my producing and become a Marine..Im just wondering.

FutureMarine630
09-16-06, 04:12 AM
You wont need a studio in Iraq. You need to focus on the mission, not music. Let alone worry about passing boot camp first. Cant be a Marine in Iraq if you arent a Marine in the first place.

Travis

Kildars
09-16-06, 05:24 AM
You should focus on completing boot camp before you ponder about iraq.

jcannedy
09-16-06, 06:59 AM
Talk to a local recruiter he will help you out more than we will.:)

outlaw3179
09-16-06, 07:10 AM
You can take a laptop. But quit worrying about that stupid **** , and earn the title first.

Marine84
09-16-06, 08:59 AM
OH GOOD LORD! Take a laptop to Iraq? Sure kid, take it, I'm sure your fellow Marines would LOVE for you to come up with some really good $h!t with bullets and bombs as background.

Echo5November
09-17-06, 11:10 AM
Ok, seriously. Just stay out of the Marine Corps. You haven't even earned the title, but you wanna play DJ in Iraq?? You're gonna get someone killed. Go join a frat, watch mtv all day, and stop wasting our time with bogus questions like this.

WJason777
09-17-06, 02:56 PM
You should focus on completing boot camp before you ponder about iraq.
I agree to that

Barret
09-17-06, 06:36 PM
As many Marines on this site will tell you, when asking Poolee questions, Do not put the cart in front of the horse (Don't get ahead of yourself.) You will have PLENTY of time to think about what you are going to take to Iraq, if you even get deployed. It is foolish to be writing retirement speeches in the middle of your Poolee meetings.

DaveXIII90
09-18-06, 09:35 AM
I doubt that many people would enjoy making music after they've either A.) Seen/been involved in a situation where someone was killed, B.) Killed someone or C.) All of the above.... and I would think that your fellow Marines would not be happy with what you call mixing music on the battlefield; I believe your fellow Marines may refer to it as "Sniper Bait".... Personally, when I become a Marine, If I get sent to war....Id rather spend every precious second focusing and being serious and alert, whether or not I am in a combat zone/firefight- I think many would agree with me when I say that sh*t can happen anywhere, and it probably wouldnt be too fun if your caught off guard in a war.... just my 2 cents

WhiteRabbit
09-18-06, 09:52 AM
In coming to this man's defense, perhaps he was thinking of being sent to Iraq and being in a holding station or whatever you call them. If he's not with his main assault unit, or even if he's in the rear with the gear as a mech head or tech guy, he could create music to satiate the stress and feel at ease with himself after a tough day's work.

You guys judge too quickly, even though I agree with what all of you said. Personally, I'm going for 0300 and, just speculating and pondering upon the fact that, if I do get sent to Iraq, I'd bring a small iPod or something to listen to when I'm not in any major assault or even a minor one. If the main would move up ahead, or if I'm stuck with the main, or even if I'm awaiting deployment to another sector of combat, a 3 minute song won't make a difference when awaiting orders in a tent.

Marine84
09-18-06, 10:31 AM
You would be surprised whiterabbit - if you got something stuck in your ears you could miss out on someone giving you explicit instructions. THAT will get you or somebody else killed for sure. Sing to yourself, if you have to, or STAY OUT OF THE CORPS!

SgtGorman
09-18-06, 10:41 AM
:bunny:Yeah, you should worry about earning the title first. Hahahah, by the time you become a Marine, the Operation of Iraqi Freedom is over. At that time we should face with North Korea, or Iran.

:usmc:

outlaw3179
09-18-06, 10:42 AM
White Rabbit WTF are you talking about? You sound like youve been watching too many old war movies. Dude , every Marine brings an IPOD. Thats not the point . The point is you have got to be focused on your mission. If you dont focus , its not only your dumbass that get killed but you potentially place the lives of your Marines in danger. You havent even signed the papers to go in the dep and already picking out what cool songs to listen to while "waiting to move to another sector of battle". Im telling you right now, figure out why you want to be a Marine and understand that its not some little game that you cant stop playing whenever it becomes to stressful or its not fun anymore.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-06, 10:51 AM
I think someone is a little confused about what operations in Iraq look like. This isn't a division assault on a beachhead. It is small unit patrols. It amazes me that someone would even think of listening to an IPOD when they are off the base. What you hear can be an important as what you see. You don't want something in your ears screwing that up. And, I hear that more and more people are wearing hearing protection while on patrol. That would eliminate the possibility of listening to an IPOD while on patrol. Things like the laptop or an IPOD are best used when you're sitting in your pod only concerned about mortar attacks and the like. OF COURSE, your NCOs will be in a position to keep you from doing anything too dumb, so it isn't really something to be concerned with.

His_angel
09-18-06, 12:39 PM
Droo,

You're putting the cart before the horse. Right now you need to be preparing yourself physically and mentally to go to boot. And even though you have a ship date that doesn't mean something won't happen between now and then to change that. Nor does that guarantee you will even make it through boot. You're worried about a laptop in Iraq? Some units may "allow it" and yet other units may forbid it. You aren't even with a unit yet. Heck. You haven't even been to boot yet.

I can see why you got some of the answers you did. And I'm trying to keep my reply civil. Some may indeed see that your asking about a laptop means you have your priorities misplaced. If the "studio" is so important you may want to rethink your choices and options. And either go to college where you can concentrate more on your "studio" or focus your attention on going to boot and preparing for that.

Angel

ZMielens
09-18-06, 01:24 PM
get your mmind right.

DaveXIII90
09-18-06, 01:51 PM
One more thing- remember to use noise cancelling earphones ok buddy? What could go wrong ?

ZMielens
09-18-06, 01:58 PM
i'd recomend the new BOSE noise cancelling head phones there only 5 hondo. i dont know if they'll block out the rpg blasts but the should cover the ak47 shots.

DaveXIII90
09-25-06, 09:51 AM
Ive already said this, but I think its important that I make it VERY clear:
There are snipers in Iraq. Not just our snipers, I am talking about the enemy. Yes, there may be times where you are not in a combat zone, where you may think it is safe to listen to music. But, please, use your head. Do you think that an enemy sniper needs to be near you to take a shot? He could be anywhere. Lets say that you are wondering round outside with headphones in your ears, and BOOM someone gets hit. By the time you realize what happend, it will be too late- Any intelligent sniper will use oppurtunities like this for a perfect shot: If I was a sniper, and I saw an enemy doing something that would prevent him from hearing outside noises, and I saw that there were only a few people near him, what do you think I would do? I would pick off the others that are not in view of eachother, and then quickly take out the person with headphones, because that way, the only one who can report the situation(HEadphone guy), would not notice it, and when hes hit, no one can report the incident until it is too late, and the snipers location will not be identified as well. Yes, this seems like it wouldnt happen to any of us, but it does. And this is war- it will happen to someone every now and again, and it may just be you. I can live without music for 8 months at a time, and I sure as hell can live without it if it meens staying safe. Im sorry that I made this so long- But, since I used to always want to be a sniper, I have gotten an idea of what a sniper may do, what he may use as an advantage, to take out an enemy. And I realized how dangerous this could be to any of us. I just had to point it out.

HopefulGrunt2Be
09-26-06, 02:44 PM
droo....ask your drill instructor that question when you get to boot camp :D , im sure he would have some good "advice" for you. but seriously, i think you need to focus on the task at hand, and thats getting through recruit training, then focus on mct or soi, then you can start to think about what you are going to do with any free time you might have in iraq. i agree with everyone who said its a bad idea. i think it would distract you from whats going on around you. what if you were out on a patrol and all you could think about was what you were going to do at your studio later, thats got disaster written all over it. all it takes is you unfocused for a split second and bam. thats my advice, if you do make it through boot camp and you do get deployed to iraq, leave the studio at home and worry about keeping you and the Marines around you alive. then after you return to the states safely, then go make all the music you want. good luck with whatever it is you decide to do, if u have any questions about boot camp let me know. i just graduated on the 22nd, so everything is still fresh in my mind.

David Jameson
09-27-06, 12:40 PM
Give me a ****ing break .Sure you can bring your studio,its not like you"ll be on duty all the time .If you make private they will ship your car over over there for free that way you can take a spin up to the Syrian border on weekend liberty and take some pictures,have a few beers with the guys up there. I don"t no why nobody thought of this before. Now remember ,wait to you get out of boot camp before you send home for it ,and be sure to tell your first shirt as soon as you get to your first duty station so he can get you a parking space and storage.Good Luck and thank you for your interest

Repectfully ,David (I don"T have a clue ethier) Jameson

Born Invincible
09-28-06, 04:19 AM
yes you can bring your laptop yes you can bring your keyboard... depending on how you get to Iraq. The Marines on this board are a little too self absorbed. The mission always has down time. War is not constant action and in most cases is alot of hurry up and wait. if you are going to be an 03 then you will be on the move alot but not so much you can't enjoy a hobby. i suggest you focus on completing boot camp, your MOS school and joining a fleet unit before u ask questions like this. But FYI yes u can take that stuff... if you can carry it with all your required gear taking priority.

BigCat1
09-28-06, 02:23 PM
Ok, seriously. Just stay out of the Marine Corps. You haven't even earned the title, but you wanna play DJ in Iraq?? You're gonna get someone killed. Go join a frat, watch mtv all day, and stop wasting our time with bogus questions like this.

I couldn't agree with Echo5November more....Stay the hell out of my Marine Corps....We don't need people like this! You.....never mind.....

Camper51
09-28-06, 02:37 PM
yes you can bring your laptop yes you can bring your keyboard... depending on how you get to Iraq. The Marines on this board are a little too self absorbed. The mission always has down time. War is not constant action and in most cases is alot of hurry up and wait. if you are going to be an 03 then you will be on the move alot but not so much you can't enjoy a hobby. i suggest you focus on completing boot camp, your MOS school and joining a fleet unit before u ask questions like this. But FYI yes u can take that stuff... if you can carry it with all your required gear taking priority.

Self absorbed??? it seems to me that the one who is self absorbed is the one asking if he can bring his "studio" along with him into a war zone when he hasn't even made it to bootcamp yet!!!

I would think he would be more interested in asking questions like "What can I do to ensure that I am the best Marine I can possibly be and help out my fellow Marines?"

David Jameson
09-28-06, 02:40 PM
I am .So what ?Can I get money for that?

Marine84
09-28-06, 02:50 PM
Yeah Camper - there's that "self absorbed" phrase again...............WTF? That must be some newer term for these politically correct Marines running around in here.

cplbrooks
09-28-06, 03:15 PM
I have to agree with Born.

Camper51
09-28-06, 03:41 PM
I have no disagreement with Mr. cplbrooks or with Mr. Born Invincible. We are all entitled to our opinions.

We all know that any Marine can take ANYTHING with them to Iraq as long as it is not forbidden. However we all (and I speak including both of you) know that not everyone makes it through bootcamp for many hundreds of reasons. In fact many who do make it through will never see Iraq and this potential Marine may well be one of them, in which case his question is a moot point.

His Angel has pointed out that Droo is putting the cart before the horse and in doing so he is way ahead of himself. Kind of like asking how to get the water to a fire when you aren't a fireman yet, if you ask me.

Asking questions is an excellent thing to do when the questions relate to what potential recruits are looking for, such as "what is bootcamp like?", "what do I need to do to prepare for bootcamp?", "what is such and such a base like?" or "what is such and such an MOS all about?". However questions like "can I bring my studio to the war?" are a bit assinine and presumptive and are not in line with finding out about the Marine Corps and how to succeed in the Marine Corps

Born Invincible
09-30-06, 01:09 PM
Many of the statements that are made by Marines (past and present) are rediculous. Telling a Poolee that he should not become a Marine because he asks a question is stupid and childish. Let his recruiter then his cadre of DIs determine if he can make it in the corps. TV shows Marines, sailors, airmen and soldiers doing all types of non combat things in Iraq. Marines, and Soldiers have made rap, rock and country albums while in country. The Marine Corps Times newspaper has shown many Marines playing instruments like bag pipes, guitars, etc during down time. So for a poolee to ask that why is he unfit for the Corps? Why is he not fit for the mission yet these warriors that came before him are. War is a unit "excersize" that is not based on what you bring in your personal seabag.

Accord
09-30-06, 02:04 PM
I printed this thread out and showed it to my recruiter, who then showed it to the SNCOIC and now it's one huge joke at my RS, haha. They really got a kick out of this.

Marine84
09-30-06, 03:10 PM
Accord - tell them they should visit the site and get in on it

Accord
09-30-06, 05:19 PM
Accord - tell them they should visit the site and get in on it
Will do.