PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong Pullups

FooDawg
09-14-06, 11:09 AM
Now I know this topic has been covered extensively in the past so please don't yell at me, haha. I just feel like im not really doing that much work. I just started this program this week so maybe that has a little to do with it, but still, it seems like I start and 5 minutes later i'm done. I mean, I can definately feel it later on int he day or first thing in the morning, but is it supposed to be a relatively quick routine? I don't want to hurt myself, obviously, but I want to make sure i'm maximizing my efforts and getting the most out of this program.
I feel like im failing too quickly on my sets. Like I have the heart to keep on going, but my muscles just are giving out and not allowing me to pull anymore. Am I just being a weak arse or is this common when the program is first started? Im not expecting too much since i've never had great upper body strength, but still, i'm getting frustrated.
If anyone has been doing this program for a while or in the past and wants to help answer a few of my questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-06, 11:18 AM
When you're training for one particular movement, you have to be careful that you don't "overtrain" the muscles. If you do, you will get weaker, not stronger. Thus, many people seem to think that they aren't doing enough when they are on a pull up program that is set up the proper way. Do the program for a couple of weeks. If you don't make any progress come back and I'm sure we can all help you make the needed adjustments. But, I've never seen the program not work if it is done exactly as written.

FooDawg
09-14-06, 11:37 AM
Thanks Echo, you helped ease a little of my worries. I figure it's because I just started and obviously it would be great to see instant results, but I know that isn't gonna happen and to just keep working on it. Im charting everything so i'll keep everyone updated on the results when I start seeing some and maybe I can refine it later.
Thanks again.

Accord
09-14-06, 11:52 AM
Being on the Armstrong Pullup Program for a long period of time will burn you out.

I was stuck at 9 pullups for probably 2 months, I was doing the Recon Ron Pullup Program and that didn't work, I tried the Armstrong Pullup Program and that didn't work. No matter what I tried I could not get to 10 pullups.

I took a week off and did NO pullups at all, then the next week I was doing 11 easily.

You don't gain strength when you're doing the pullups, you gain the strength when you're recovering 24-48 hours after doing pullups. Anyone can do a pullup program, but it's the rest and recovery which is the most important aspect that people don't understand because that is where your numbers will go up.

All of my gains in pullups were made by doing 3 or 4 maximum effort sets about twice a week - not 5 days a week like on the Armstrong and Recon Ron pullup programs.

Your diet will also play a big role in whether your numbers go up or not.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-06, 02:18 PM
Well we finally have someone that it didn't work for. When the Corps got rid of the kip I used both programs and they worked. I went from about 14 pullups to 20 again easily in the time between two PFTs.

FooDawg
09-14-06, 03:42 PM
Can someone quickly point me in a direction that explains recon ron? I searched for it a few times and couldn't find anything except a guy named recon ron on MSN or something, aha.

Accord
09-14-06, 03:57 PM
Well we finally have someone that it didn't work for. When the Corps got rid of the kip I used both programs and they worked. I went from about 14 pullups to 20 again easily in the time between two PFTs.
Both programs were essential in me getting from about 3 pullups to 9 pullups, but at 9 pullups the programs just didn't work anymore because I was so burned out from doing countless pullups every single day with no time for them to repair themselves.

When you work out, your muscles get torn down and then when you're recovering, they repair themselves to be bigger and stronger. When there is literally no time for the muscles to repair themselves, you won't get stronger and make gains.

Both programs are great, but if you're on them long term like I was, they'll lose their effectiveness after a while.

Accord
09-14-06, 04:02 PM
Can someone quickly point me in a direction that explains recon ron? I searched for it a few times and couldn't find anything except a guy named recon ron on MSN or something, aha.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/7099.html

FooDawg
09-14-06, 08:51 PM
Thanks Accord, guess I just didn't look hard enough.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-06, 09:26 PM
Accord, I did Recon Ron for about 18 months and ended up at 36 pull ups. It didn't have that effect on me. You are right, your gain strength as your muscles repair themselves. That is why I mentioned that over training is real issue for some people. But, I never experienced those problems with either program.

Personally, I think that Recon Ron is the better of the two, but I seem to be in the minority about that. Everyone is different and needs different things to get results. You found what works for you, and that's all that matters.

Smalcom
09-15-06, 11:44 AM
.. TRUST ME THIS WORKS... Im at 54 deadhangs now, FOLLOW IT EXACTLY HOW IT SAYS, continue to go up, overtime ive started to wear a weight belt and do it... so thats also an option.

Achped
09-15-06, 12:45 PM
When I started in mid august I could barely do one overhand pull up (and 7 chin ups) I just busted out 3 so quick it was unbelieveable. I'm on my Day5 so I'm gonna do my 5 maximum effort sets and we'll see how it goes. I have yet to see how many I max out with yet.

By the way, this is the end of my 2nd week on Armstrong's program.