PDA

View Full Version : Devil Dogs??

RLeon
09-14-06, 01:51 AM
Anyone else come across this.
In doing some reaserch about WWI, I came across this tidbit:
That apparently the name Tuefelhunden being attributed to the Marines is considered to be an unsubstantiated legend.
http://german.about.com/od/culture/a/germyth13.htm

iamcloudlander
09-14-06, 02:24 AM
I wrote an email to the author of this article and asked him why after 88 years he felt the need to question the term Devil Dogs. Almost anyone that was there is long dead and any records of it probably were not kept or were archived somewhere just not available.
As I told him that it would be an easy mistake to not get the proper usuage especially during the hell of WWI and if it was a mistake it would have to be an honest one.
Besides the Marine Corps would not have continued the title if it wasn't true don't you think so to?
I say the author is just looking for anything he can find to start an arguement that most possibly can never be substantiated.

Zulu 36
09-14-06, 07:23 AM
He is being kinda nitpicky over the German spelling, etc. Who cares? People can't agree over the proper spelling/pronunciations/definitions of English words, let alone German.

Applying the common sense test to this, I would suspect that some German soldier or two DID refer to Marines as Devil Dogs after being taken POW and some Marine or two overhearing thought it was a pretty cool name and repeated it to someone else with a flair for PR. The rest is history.

I'd say the author is just some liberal trying to grind his axe over this particular point of no significance to anyone with a brain.

candi
09-14-06, 07:41 PM
People like him need to be ignored..they spew nonsense for attention...(IMO):cool: