PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Ship Date...long story

Adam1988
09-13-06, 12:35 PM
Alright Marines, for some reason I feel as if I disappointed and set out a bad name for the Marine Corps by my actions. If I am wrong please tell me, but here's the honest to God truth what happened....

JmikeJr88
09-13-06, 12:53 PM
Theres always 3 sides to a story. Your side, their side, and then the truth. If everything you say is 100% truthful then the only wrong thing you did was not call the cops immediately. If you called then they most likely wouldn't be suspected being wrong. I see where your coming from though and hopefully you get a jury whos all Marines or a Judge Marine lol and you'll be just fine. Best of Luck

Adam1988
09-13-06, 01:05 PM
Yeah that's exactly what the cop told me. After explaining my story she said if I was the one to call, then this case would be flipped around 180 degrees, because 99% of the time it's the victim that calls the police.

Adam1988
09-13-06, 01:46 PM
Just made my appointment with the public defender. October 10th at 2:15PM. Big let down for me, I could of already been almost a month through boot camp.

JReid
09-13-06, 08:25 PM
Stay motivated.

FooDawg
09-13-06, 09:08 PM
Just keep your head up and keep pushing forward and overcome this obstacle and follow the mission through.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-06, 11:35 AM
A future Marine getting into trouble for fighting... bet that's never happened before.

edited to say: Don't worry about it. It may take a couple of months to get resolved, but things will work out and you'll be on the footprints soon enough. The Marine Corps won't go away.

Accord
09-14-06, 12:12 PM
So I call my recruiter. He tells me not to worry at all, it wasn't my fault and I was just defending myself. He told me he knows I wouldn't just go in swinging at 2 people 6 days before starting my life
And that's what you need to tell the judge. It makes zero sense whatsoever that you would have started this fight 6 days before beginning shipping to Marine Corps boot camp. Get your recruiter to testify on your behalf as to how high your standards of moral character are and whatnot as well. A Marine NCO in full dress blues tesifying about your high level of integrity would be very powerful in court. Tell the judge that you joined the Marine Corps because you believe in the Corps values of honor, courage, and committment and you would never in your wildest dreams conceive of ever doing something to jeopardize your chance at earning the title of United States Marine, when you were attacked you were left no choice but to defend yourself.

Sadly, after an altercation like this one, the first one's to call the police are usually the ones who get off easy, even if they were wrong. You should have called the police immediately, but hindsight in 20/20.

Good luck man.

Adam1988
09-15-06, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I need to keep the moto and it really helps!

I visited my old MSgt. from ROTC in high school. He spent several years as a recruiter. He told me it is illegal for my recruiter to come testify for me in court, something about MAAP or MAAM or something? He says it will put his career in jeopardy, and he says at this point I am DQed from joining the Corps.

That killed me. To be honest, the Marines is all I've got and the Marines is all I want. Without the Marines; I'd have nothing. Honestly, if somehow this punk disqualifies me from joining the Corps..I don't know what I would do, with life or anything for that matter. Now I'm not saying I'd commit suicide or anything, but I really would have nothing.

You can still join the Corps with a misdemeanor right? For some odd reason, I have a hinch I will be "proven" guilty in court. I'm going to attempt to counter-sue once I get to talk to my defender.

Achped
09-15-06, 04:39 PM
And that's what you need to tell the judge. It makes zero sense whatsoever that you would have started this fight 6 days before beginning shipping to Marine Corps boot camp. Get your recruiter to testify on your behalf as to how high your standards of moral character are and whatnot as well. A Marine NCO in full dress blues tesifying about your high level of integrity would be very powerful in court. Tell the judge that you joined the Marine Corps because you believe in the Corps values of honor, courage, and committment and you would never in your wildest dreams conceive of ever doing something to jeopardize your chance at earning the title of United States Marine, when you were attacked you were left no choice but to defend yourself.

Sadly, after an altercation like this one, the first one's to call the police are usually the ones who get off easy, even if they were wrong. You should have called the police immediately, but hindsight in 20/20.

Good luck man.

Exactly. Tell the Judge that why would you get into a fight 2 days before you ship with TWO guys that are older than you for no reason?

Adam1988
09-15-06, 04:45 PM
My kickboxing instructor told me to throw the words "I was in fear of my life" in court, and to say I didn't know if they had a weapon or not. Truth is; I didn't know if they had one or not, so I wouldn't even be lying.

Accord
09-15-06, 04:48 PM
In that case, forget the public defender and get a GOOD attorney. It will probably be expensive, but if the charges are dropped or he can get it so this doesn't go on your record, it will be worth...

Adam1988
09-15-06, 04:56 PM
Every attorney I've talked to (which is only 2) requires like $500 up front, which is something me nor my family has.

Accord
09-15-06, 05:16 PM
Every attorney I've talked to (which is only 2) requires like $500 up front, which is something me nor my family has.
Once you set foot on the yellow footprints, you'll be making guaranteed money every single month until you EAS. Any good attorney would realize this and be willing to setup a payment plan with you.

You need to talk to more than just 2 attorneys. Open up the phone book and start making calls.

Adam1988
09-15-06, 05:37 PM
Will do. <br />
<br />
New news: Sexual harassment charges have just been filed on him for verbally and physically by a 15 year old girl (keep in mind he's 18.) This should severely mess him up, and I've...

Accord
09-15-06, 05:41 PM
That's good to hear, even if he doesn't drop the charges this will damage his credibility.

Adam1988
09-15-06, 05:47 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean he's 18 and still in high school and sexually harasses little girls. What are they not seeing here?

WJason777
09-16-06, 11:41 PM
I hope the best for you. All i could say is start preying!!

Kildars
09-17-06, 05:20 PM
I remember the day before I went to hotel for MEPS I got in a fight with some kid at a dance club I was at, I messed him up pretty bad. The security guys pulled us apart and they told us to wait for the police. None of them had my ID so I wanted to make a break for the door because I was worried about the same thing that's happening to you, happening to me.

Well anyways my best friend, who actually is a LCPL (He was a poolee too) at the time, acted like a witness and didn't act like he knew me told the police the same story I told them which was that he pulled be down by shirt ripping it and kicked me in the head to get it started, I had a mark on my head which was consistent with his and my story, so he got arrested -- not me thank god.

I wish you good luck, I am waiting for medical waiver to come back now to see if I come back, unfortunately a good attorney can't help me on that one ;).

Good luck Poolee.

Accord
09-17-06, 05:52 PM
A word of advice, it's probably not a good idea to advertise this publicly on the internet, it would be wise to delete it.

Kildars
09-18-06, 12:57 AM
Well I can not delete it now, but it has been over a year and a half since that day -- so I am not worried about it now.

Lepke
09-20-06, 03:38 PM
You DEP'd in a year and a half ago?

Adam1988
09-20-06, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the good lucks, I'll need it.

devildoghopeful
09-20-06, 04:10 PM
Stay moto Adam! If the court has any common sense they'll throw the charges out the window - That was before the harrasement charges put against the punk-a$$ kid who attacked you. Now, they'll...

Adam1988
09-20-06, 04:44 PM
Question though (Because I got arrested for this in the WRONG county)

If I am "proven" guilty, will this misdemeanor disqualify me from joining the Corps?

If so, my dreams will be shattered (might sound lame but it's true)

If not, yessss.

Brass
09-20-06, 06:17 PM
I am more than sure there are waivers for misdemeanors.

Kildars
09-20-06, 07:09 PM
You DEP'd in a year and a half ago?
Yes -- I attempted to DEP in a year and a half ago, I was DQ'd for hearing, and I'm still trying to get my waiver passed.

Adam1988
09-27-06, 12:52 PM
So I get a letter in the mail today from Xenia Municpal Court. (YAY.) The other kid in the whole assault charge bull**** has now pressed assault on me as well. <br />
&quot;DID, knowingly cause or attempt to...

Accord
09-27-06, 01:08 PM
You really need to get a lawyer and a good one.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-27-06, 02:01 PM
Hope this seves as a lesson to other wannabes out there.

Brass
09-27-06, 07:16 PM
Hope this seves as a lesson to other wannabes out there.

Well, assuming his story is the absolute truth, what else could he have done? If two guys wanna kick your ass for no better reason then you were walking down a sidewalk, then what are you to do?

Should he have layed down on the side walk and let them pummle him? Or should he have ran away, leaving his girlfriend there?

If his story is the truth then he doesn't have anything to fear. Tell it like it was, and use his DEP status for credibility.

He had no motive to take on two strangers by himself, in the middle of the day for all to see. Let alone knowing that any altercation with the police would put quite the hefty spot on his record and f**** with the rest of his life. Assuming that a conviction would, in the least put his future plans on hold.

I suggest you sell your car or do what ever you have to do to get the best damn lawyer you could possilbly afford in the 'off' chance the truth doesn't pan out in your favor.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-27-06, 11:36 PM
What else could he have done? He could have retreated from the situation. He could have called the police as soon as the incident happened. He could have been more aware of his surrondings to try to...

WJason777
09-28-06, 05:54 AM
i agree, he could of just ditch the girl when he saw thoses two guys coming. I am sure they wouldnt of rap her or anything like that

Brass
09-28-06, 06:21 AM
Anymore smart alleck questions?

I don't know if you misread, or read too far into my post, but that wasn't Smart allecky in the least, I never intended it to be taken that way. If you think it was, then I apologize for the wording.

jryanjack
09-28-06, 07:36 AM
i agree, he could of just ditch the girl when he saw thoses two guys coming. I am sure they wouldnt of rap her or anything like that

Echo was not suggesting that the girl be ditched and left to fend for herself - what he was saying was that there were options that were better then the one chosen, and then provided some good advice to all.

With this kind of smartass attitude you will never make it in my Marine Corps. What's with the poolees giving attitdue to Marines?

Achped
09-28-06, 10:37 AM
With this kind of smartass attitude you will never make it in my Marine Corps. What's with the poolees giving attitdue to Marines?

I have no idea, but if I may, I do ask that you associate him with himself only and not all of us poolees.

I'm not even at the base of the totum pole in Marine Corps heirarchy, I know that and as such you will never hear me, nor any of my poolee buddies, disrespect a Marine.

cplbrooks
09-28-06, 10:50 AM
Adam, you should press assault and battery charges against them as well. Make them pay for defense attorneys too and then they will think twice about keeping this going. If all sides have charges...

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-28-06, 12:41 PM
Cpl Brooks, the police/prosecutor would have to file the charges. All that he could do is file a police report on the matter. Since it has been decided that he was the aggressor, he is probably out...

yellowwing
09-28-06, 01:37 PM
"...not being a rich kid...", So I'm guessing that you folks are not prominent local business owners.

Talk to your recruiter about appearing with you before the Bench. Your Recruiter standing tall beside you in uniform will have weight.

drillinstructor
09-28-06, 01:43 PM
XENIA???? He Ha I grew uo in Xenia Ohio... Anyway once this is behind you there will be no problems in you joining. the recruiter will help you out in many ways. stay in close contact with him. <br />

cplbrooks
09-28-06, 02:57 PM
Sorry to have to disagree, but any citizen can go to the local magistrate or court commissioner to file a charge against somebody. You tell them the facts of the case and if they believe you then...

JmikeJr88
09-28-06, 03:08 PM
I thought that it was illegal to have a Marine in uniform to stand behind somebody in the court of law. Not sure but I dont believe that would be the smartest thing to do.

Adam1988
09-28-06, 08:26 PM
Ok, well where do I go and what do I do to file these charges? The same place he went to file on me? (Xenia Police Dept.)

Adam1988
09-28-06, 08:27 PM
XENIA???? He Ha I grew uo in Xenia Ohio... Anyway once this is behind you there will be no problems in you joining. the recruiter will help you out in many ways. stay in close contact with him.

Yes good ol Circle Drive in Xenia Ohio...oh the memories.......

Circle Drive! I know exactly where you are talking about. Such a small world.

cplbrooks
09-28-06, 08:40 PM
either the police department or the court house

Adam1988
09-30-06, 04:08 PM
Alright I will try to get that done ASAP. I'll let everyone know how it went.

Christiansen
09-30-06, 09:55 PM
I stepped in the same pile of dung a month ago.(First/last time being charged with anything in my life and actually got the &quot;joy&quot; of spending almost 2 days in the county hilton:mad:) -pretty big...

Adam1988
10-01-06, 04:44 AM
This is also the first time for me getting charged with anything :/

Adam1988
10-03-06, 07:39 PM
So the second guy pressed charges and my hearing for that is on October 18th, one day after my pre-trial for the first guy. This is ridiculous, I'd be 2 weeks into boot camp right now. All I want to...

Accord
10-03-06, 07:42 PM
Good luck man.

Adam1988
10-03-06, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone is showing me. I'll let you know how the meeting went on Oct. 10th! And if you have any advice, please feel free to IM me at DC Adam DC or my e-mail redskins937@gmail.com . thanks

Kildars
10-03-06, 07:47 PM
You have to be patient, you will learn that though being patient might be harder -- it will get you farther, trying to rush the court system will only lead you to saying something you didnt mean, not...

Adam1988
10-10-06, 04:55 PM
Talked to my attorney today, all he really said was to get a copy of my enlistment papers for the USMC and have my recruiter write a letter on my character, and get the 3 people that I know seen it to fill out statements. He is guessing the prosecutor will either plea out or offer me hell of a bargain.

devildoghopeful
10-11-06, 02:18 AM
Stay Moto Brother!

Adam1988
10-16-06, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice and support. The big day is tomorrow..we'll see.

Adam1988
10-17-06, 10:50 AM
Not much of a big day at all.

The prosecutor was not willing to make any offers.

I'm currently awaiting trial, I'll get the letter in the mail talking about my date.

alexpw62
10-18-06, 01:56 PM
Remember that while our judicial system is the best in the world, it is nowhere near perfect, and mistakes can still happen. Unfortunately, innocent people are often convicted simply because they lack adequate legal counsel; don't be one of these people. Public defenders are over-worked, under-payed, and many times of little help; you really need to consult a good attorney. Good attorneys are expensive because they are DAMN good at what they do; but this is one of those unfair situations that life throws at you that you have to bite the bullet and deal with. You will be guaranteed a check on the first and the fifteenth of every month that you serve in the Marine Corps so work out a deal with an attorney to pay the legal fees in installments. Most attorneys will be very accomodating about payment as long as they know you're good for it. Good luck with everything!

Adam1988
10-19-06, 01:57 AM
I'll contact some more attorneys...but all the ones I did talk to said $500 up front or no deal.

Christiansen
10-22-06, 11:36 AM
I actually have my trial tomorrow. I've been feeling sick to my stomach for about two days because of it...havent gotten much sleep either. I talked with a few lawyers myself and all wanted about the same price. Mostly all said it would almost surely be removed with THEIR help.

The only thing my public defender did really with me was to read out the statements to me and answer one of my questions before telling me to "stay out of anymore fights" as he walked me out of his little office...yea, that was really good for the ego. So, I guess I'll give you an update tomorrow and hopefully that will help.

WJason777
10-22-06, 06:00 PM
good luck man

Accord
10-22-06, 06:10 PM
Good luck, i'm sure everything will turn out fine!

Christiansen
10-23-06, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the support guys...I really mean that.

Got dropped to disorderly conduct. Our town likes to over prosecute to nip stuff in the butt so to speak before it becomes a problem... After reading your story, you don't have anything to worry about...except getting in shape for boot. IMO

Keep the faith.

- Christiansen

jackson07
10-23-06, 07:03 PM
Hey man.. that is better than the original charges. Glad to hear everything didn't turn out to bad.

Adam1988
10-25-06, 10:22 AM
Word. I said screw the defender and I got me a lawyer..

www.gumplaw.com (http://www.gumplaw.com)

He has a really good reputation around here, and has already done way more than that public defender did (in only one week!) I personally know some one who was supposed to get 25 to L, and gump got him 2 years.

Things are finally looking on the bright side :)

He said since I'm joining the Corps he won't require any money up front and I can start making payments the day I graduate boot.

jryanjack
10-25-06, 11:32 AM
Wow Adam!

That's great! Glad to hear that you are in good hands.

Christiansen
10-25-06, 11:47 AM
Excellent adam.

Keep looking forward, man.

devildoghopeful
10-25-06, 12:16 PM
Awesome! Things are looking up!

Thank God you didn't lose hope, way to go buddy!

:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Adam1988
11-01-06, 10:57 AM
The jury trial isn't until JANUARY 25TH, 2007

I can't believe this :( All I want to do is get out of here!!

Someone help cause I'm losing motivation...

devildoghopeful
11-01-06, 11:00 AM
Stay strong buddy! It's not like you can't join the Corps, it's just been delayed for a while.

Keep your chin up and smile, it'll all work out fine.

London supports you!

Adam1988
11-01-06, 08:18 PM
Thanks...ever since I heard this though I haven't got the urge to go run or do anything productive really. aaahhhhhhh

Adam1988
11-01-06, 08:28 PM
I DEP'd in February 24th, is this going to come back to haunt me? Like everytime I talk to my recruiter he asks me the date I signed up, do they kick you out after a year or something? What's up?

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-06, 11:02 PM
You have a year to ship once you enter the DEP. I know it can be extended, but I don't know if that means you have to start over, or if there is a way that they can just fix it up for you.

Adam1988
11-01-06, 11:27 PM
Alright, as long as it can be extended, whew.

devildoghopeful
11-02-06, 08:22 AM
Don't forget, you're gonna be fine, just keep a good attitude and a clear head and focus on getting through this.
It probably doesn't seem like it, but this bull**** will end!
Many would have given up by now, you however, are seeing this through, and for that, I am proud of you. To me, your persistence in this matter shows dedication and is worthy of utmost respect.

Keep on truckin' brother!

oneshot649
11-03-06, 10:52 PM
i'm a CJ major and i've talked with a lot of my professors and family (cops and lawyers) and they said that considering your reputation (DEP) versus the other guy's (sexual harassment) you'll hand...

Christiansen
11-03-06, 11:24 PM
Did you go to the cleveland MEPS too or is there one down south there; like in Columbus?

Adam1988
11-06-06, 11:18 AM
Redskins 22, Cowboys 19:thumbup: <br />
<br />
Watched it with quite a bit of cowturds fans...ahahaha. <br />
<br />
Anyway, I can't file counter-charges. I tried. The prosecution office won't take it until after this...

oneshot649
11-06-06, 06:24 PM
yeah, i forgot to mention counter-charges follow afterwards....but yeah, can't believe they pulled it off. Cowboys fans are like hookers, they just go to the car with more bling..

Wolfman07
11-06-06, 07:23 PM
From a Cowboys fan's viewpoint I am highly offended by those statements. JK... damn redskins o well T.O. always puts on a good show by acting like a dumb***.