PDA

View Full Version : living on base

coolkev87
09-12-06, 04:48 PM
I just recently changed my contract from reserve to active and I leave for Parris Island this coming Monday. I just wanted some information about the active lifestyle. What is the housing like? Will I most likely be roomed with one other person or will I be in the barracks with a lot of other Marines? If I'm stationed at Camp Legune which is not too far from home will I be able to drive home on weekends? If there is any other information you have that you think would be helpful to me please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-06, 12:30 AM
I'm not positive, but I think Richmond is out of bounds for normal weekend liberty (if not, it would be close) meaning you would need to get a special liberty chit to go home. Of course, if being home is that important, you should go back to the reserves. You may be quite busy on the weekend and not have time to go anywhere. Of you could be in the field. Of course, that is when you aren't deployed. If you don't have duty or work responsibilities you will be able to get home for the 96's, which is about the only time most Marines go home without taking leave.

On base you will have a room with one other Marine when you are in the fleet. You may share the head with your neighbors, which means its four people to a bathroom. You'll have a twin bed, a secretary, and a wall locker in your room, and maybe a few other things. When you are in MOS school you may have more room mates. If you go infantry you'll live in a squad bay while being taught how to be a steely eyed killer.

SgtGorman
09-13-06, 08:39 AM
Not all base quarters are the same. Some places, such as the Infantry unit; there are some Squadbase, and some opened barracks. Most of the time that squadbase for new fleet Marines....The opened barracks are still available at most of the base installation. I used to live at those places until I requested BAH own right when I was promoted to Corporal. There are many different choices that you can have your own place. Such as getting married, Officer, or request BAH own right due to some reasons.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-06, 11:12 AM
The last grunts I can remember living in squad bays was 2/1 back in 98 I think. It could always happen, but they try not to make people live in there.

coolkev87
09-14-06, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your info. It helped a lot.

SgtGorman
09-16-06, 01:45 PM
The last grunts I can remember living in squad bays was 2/1 back in 98 I think. It could always happen, but they try not to make people live in there.

Actually we still have Marines live in those Flattops. It is designated for new Infrantry Marines, and or Reserved Units. In the early this year, they distroyed 2 flattops; but some were converted into offices or guard shack. SgtMajor Estrada tried to build all the barracks, and no more flattop (squad bay) by 2008. Hopefully, it is true.

HAPPY HORNO!

coolkev87
09-17-06, 06:39 PM
thanks for all your info. I have one other question. What are the rules about bringing your own vehicle on base? I read somewhere that people new to a base arent allowed to bring their own vehicle until they've been stationed there for 6 months.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the correction Sgt. I guess I'm just out of the loop somewhere, because I had no idea. Funny enough, Sgt. Maj. Estrada was the Sgt. Maj of 2/1 when they were stuck in them.

Did anyone ever mention to the powers that be that the famed "Pocket Mouse" lived in those squad bays? That should have been enough to keep Marines out of them, but it never seemed to come to light.

SgtGorman
09-18-06, 10:03 AM
thanks for all your info. I have one other question. What are the rules about bringing your own vehicle on base? I read somewhere that people new to a base arent allowed to bring their own vehicle until they've been stationed there for 6 months.

Usually Marines are not allowed to have vehicle on base while on MCT, ITB, or MOS school. You are allowed to have your vehicle on base when you are in the fleet. Must meet the requirement such as vehicle registration, auto insurance, Driver Improvement Card (DIC), Driver License, and must register with base JRC or whatever you want to call that.

Did anyone ever mention to the powers that be that the famed "Pocket Mouse" lived in those squad bays? That should have been enough to keep Marines out of them, but it never seemed to come to light.
EFBravo,

Nah, nobody said anything about that...what's the story behind it?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-06, 11:17 AM
They thought the mouse was extinct... but then it turned up on Pendleton, at least in the Horno area, if not on Horno proper. Later it dawned on people living in the squad bay that was the type of mouse they were having problems with. As far as I know nothing was ever done about it, but there were at least concerns that they would end up being forced to move out of the barracks because of the mouse. Clearly that didn't happen.

coolkev87
09-18-06, 11:54 AM
Thanks yall. Well I'm off to the hotel now, then Parris Island tomorrow. Wish me luck!

outlaw3179
09-18-06, 02:21 PM
Good luck poolee. Semper Fi.