PDA

View Full Version : Yuma troops still helping to fight war on terrorism

thedrifter
09-11-06, 07:44 AM
Yuma troops still helping to fight war on terrorism
BY JAMES GILBERT, SUN STAFF WRITER
Sep 10, 2006

Yuma Marines have repeatedly been on the front lines on the war against terrorism and continue to do so as the country observes the five-year anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001.

Maj. Guy Berry, a Harrier pilot for VMA-513, said despite the violence still prevalent in the country, Marines serving in Iraq now are doing so mainly in a peacekeeping role.

"It's very much a defensive mindset instead of an offensive mindset," Berry said. "We are no longer looking for someone to engage. We are trying to keep the peace so the Iraqi government can take control of its own country.

"They are doing their best to keep warring groups apart and reduce sectarian violence. Then, at the same time, they are searching for terrorists who are trying to kill them."

Like many Americans, Berry vividly remembers the day of the attacks. He was on a commercial flight from Washington, D.C., to San Diego when planes flew into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field. Berry's plane had to be diverted to Atlanta.

"It took me three days, a train, two buses and a rental car to get back to Yuma," Berry said. "I thought the country was at war so I told the rental car agent if all he had was a golf cart with three wheels, I would take it if it was capable of moving."

Five years later, Berry said he still thinks about what would have happened had his flight been one of those hijacked.

"I'm hopeful I could have helped in some way even by doing just some little thing," Berry said.

Berry's first deployment was in December 2001, about three months after the terrorist attacks.

Assigned to VMA-211 at the time, Berry said half the squadron deployed to the Arabian Sea aboard the USS Bonhomme-Richard, flying combat missions against targets in Afghanistan, while the other half was deployed to Japan in support of combat operations in Southeast Asia.

"At that point, we really didn't know the breadth and depth of al-Qaida," said Berry, who was part of the squadron that went to Japan. "We were supporting some Operation Enduring Freedom missions in the Philippines and Southeast Asia."

The major's second tour of duty in the war against terrorism was February 2003 to June 2003. Once again, Berry was aboard the Bonhomme-Richard, eventually flying missions for Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"Shortly after we got there, the war in Iraq began," Berry said. "Prior to that, I was flying missions enforcing the no-fly zone.

"Once the war began, we were flying ‘deep air support’ missions targeting primarily Iraqi armory and artillery before our ground forces got to them," Berry said.

Berry, a 12-year Marine Corps veteran, just recently returned from his second deployment to Iraq, which began in February and ended earlier this month.

"I'm the maintenance officer for the squadron, so I came back to (inspect) the hangar and airplanes. There is going to be another deployment in early spring and another one next summer. The entire squadron will be deployed in less than a year."

Berry said he thinks the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 showed the country it doesn't take a superpower to strike a blow against the United States.

"Regardless of our military technology and superior forces, 10 to 12 men with boxcutters brought the country to a standstill for several hours."

A self-professed student of history, specifically military history, Berry said he felt it was only a matter of time before the U.S. was drawn into a war in the Middle East.

"I think in my mind I always knew it would eventually happen."

Berry said he is very proud of the men and women serving in Iraq and the country should be as well.

"I'm really proud of the enlisted Marines and maintenance Marines in VMA-513," Berry said. "Everyone I know who is serving — to the man or woman — has nothing but the best intentions for Iraq."

James Gilbert can be reached at bwells@yumasun.com or 539-6854.

Ellie