PDA

View Full Version : Three sons served after 9/11

thedrifter
09-11-06, 07:37 AM
Donna Cranmer: Three sons served after 9/11
September 11th / Five years later

Monday, September 11, 2006

Donna Cranmer, 47, of Brentwood, is the mother of seven children, including three sons who served in the Marines or Air Force after Sept. 11. First Lt. Wesley Cranmer Jr., 27, is an Air Force electronics officer who can't tell her where he flies or what he does.

Lance Cpl. Thomas Cranmer, 25, was repeatedly activated but never shipped overseas before finishing his stint with the Marines Sept. 1. Sgt. Michael Cranmer, 23, joined the Marines just before Sept. 11, 2001. He was deployed twice to Iraq and was wounded in the leg by shrapnel in 2004.

Here's her story, as told to Post-Gazette reporter Cindi Lash:

We supported them all in the service. But it was difficult after Sept. 11 because we didn't know where they were going or exactly what they were doing.

That's all they wanted since they were young. My husband was a Marine. His brother served, his dad was an Army officer, his aunt and uncle served in the Army during World War II. My dad and my uncle served in the Army during World War II. So it's a military thing here.

Was I scared? Was I nervous? Somewhat. But knowing that they had to go, and going with our support and blessings, made it easier on all of us.

If our military backs down when we get attacked, we're not safe. Oh my gosh, I would be so angry if our president didn't do something to respond to Sept. 11. He's supporting our country by using our military.

Life here at home with the other four was quite restrained because they were limited on where they could go, what they could do. We wanted to be at home to hear from the boys. We were always on top of where everyone was.

Thomas got called up six months after 9/11. He'd be packed and ready, he'd be on call, then he'd stand down. That was the mother's power of prayer. I don't know if I could've handled two over there at the same time.

The only thing that really, really scared me was when Michael got wounded. But yet I had a peace about the scare. I knew he would be home. Call it whatever you want, but it's mom's intuition and knowing in your heart.

Oh yeah, I got a lot closer to God. I've always thought prayer was important, but praying more for others is how it's changed.

Total strangers come to me by way of a friend. I'll talk to them. I talked to people before but there was stuff I wouldn't tell you. Now I know what other mothers are going through. People will call me and ask, "Will you pray for this mother?" or "Will you talk to this mother?" Of course I will.

Do I think it's changed the people of the United States? Do I think people are nicer? Are more flags flying? I see all of that. These terrorists who think they're destroying the United States, they're just making us stronger.

Ellie