PDA

View Full Version : A Little Confused

JmikeJr88
09-10-06, 02:53 PM
Hey Marines, and fellow Poolees. I've been quiet around here just reading and learing what everyone else had to say and I just come to find out I need a little advice of my own if you dont mind. I was scheduled to leave for MCRD PI on Oct 9th but the Staff Sgt at my Marine recruit place changed it until the 23rd. Im 220 lbs and 6 ft tall, I lost 53 lbs just to make it to a poolee and now I feel as if I hit a brick wall. I cant't lose any weight and all of my Recruit Sgt's tell me to run when reality is im running all the time. I am always sounding off louder then all of the other poolees and I last without being totally out of breath at the end of our 3 mile runs. So here arises my question. My feet are badly beat up from I dont know what and it's a crucial pain when I wake up in the morning. I know that I wouldnt let that small injury hold me back in bootcamp but it's an injury I wouldn't want to have nontheless. I feel if I stop training and running hard then my feet will heal but I will gain weight and that is the absolute last thing I need. I feel if I keep running hard like I have been my feet will stay the same or get worse but my fat won't go up.. Basically what I am asking is a little advice on what I should do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Marines, and poolees.

bigdog43701
09-10-06, 03:32 PM
first thing to do is change ur shoes. sounds like u are having problems with the very small bones that comprise the foot. i might suggest NEW BALANCE...they are designed for people who weight over 200 lbs. remember...u get what u pay for so don't think that u will get by with a $39 pair. also get shock absorbing insoles to go in them, a good pair go for around $20.

JReid
09-10-06, 03:37 PM
Losing weight also deals with your diet. Not just your amount of activity.

Look at it this way.I think the max weight for 6'0'' is what?227? If you can do your PT fine right now, run 3 miles and still go for more, you have nothing to worry about. If your feet are tore up, work on your upper-body strength and give your feet a couple days. Your under the weight maximum, you sound to be good-to-go on pt, when you hit MCRD-PI or MCRD-SD that weight that your having trouble loosing now will be gone in a couple weeks.

capmarine
09-10-06, 04:47 PM
switch to other exercises-swim,bike,eliptical machine.you dont have to run all the time.give your feet and body a break

Marine84
09-10-06, 05:24 PM
All the movement in the world WILL NOT help you if you don't change what (and how much) you're eating as well. You'll be surprised - cut the fat out of your diet and you'll lose it.

SgtGorman
09-10-06, 05:30 PM
They are right... also, you need to train a littler harder, but being the smart way. Running affects the whole body, not just only your feet. If you feel pain, then switch the routine.
Monday: 3 miles run
Tuesday: Swimming
Wednesday: Eliptical Machine.
Thursday: 3 miles run
Friday: Swmiming
Saturday: Eliptical machine
Sunday: Bike or Church...lol

You should go to runner's world. http://www.runnerworld.com for more advice on running technique. In fact, you should run on your toes than heel...you know what I am talking about.

You can try to use my routine...I am training to prepare for the Officer Candidate School.
Sunday: 3 miles run plus spring interval 1.5 miles
Monday: 3 miles run plus pring interval 1.5 miles
Tuesday: Eliptical Machine
Wednesday: 3 miles run with boots and utes
Thursday: 3 miles run plus spring interval 1.5 miles
Friday: 3 miles run plus spring interval 1.5 miles
Saturday: swimming

JmikeJr88
09-10-06, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the advice because it really hasn't crossed my mind to much to do anything cardio wise other then running and the stairs at my old High School. As for eating, I am pretty routine when it comes to that. Egg whites and turkey breast omelat for breakfast with water or tea. A grapefruit for a snack with dry tuna or dry chicken for lunch and a big steak with mixed veggies to get in some carbs and alot of protein. I passed my IST for the 1 mile and 1/2 run at 11:20 and pullups with about 8 to 10 after running. My abs is my main concern and now running is my concern also due to my feet. Seriously though, thanks for the help. This site really does help, now I don't have to lay all the stress on myself so much. I have a clue somewhat of what there is to expect.

capmarine
09-10-06, 10:07 PM
keep your strength up too-weights,but dont think you have to lift a ton,either.try some bodywt exercises too-i do a pyramid once a week,along with the other stuff i do-pullups/chinups,pushups,situps and dips.do sets of these.you might try the BUD/S(SEAL)warning order or stew smith's 12 week bud/s workout(www.getfitnow.com)

J-Ro
09-10-06, 10:54 PM
I'm in agreeance with everyone else, you have too pay attention to what your eating! You can Do It! hang in their Jmike
and you'll get the Title.

"No better friend...
No worse enemy"

His_angel
09-10-06, 11:37 PM
Count calories and fat grams. You need to determine how much you need for your physical activity and to lose weight. Eat 5 or 6 times a day. With small portions and lots of fruits and veggies. Citrus fruits tend to burn calories faster. Grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, etc. Don't have a lot of white or yellow veggies like bananna's, squash, and potatoes. They tend to be higher in calories and don't have as many benefits as green veggies or other colors of fruits and vegetables. Remember lean cuts of meat and limit quantity. A regular serving size is 4 ounces. Despite what gets served in resturants these days. Make sure any breads are whole grain and not flour. Cut back on starches. Drink plenty of water. Not just to stay hydrated but it will help flush crud out of your system. Oh. And stay away from processed meats and those boxed or preprepared meals. Use fresh ingredients when eating. Not any of that boxed egg white stuff, canned veggies or fruit juice with sugar. Get fresh meat, fresh veggies and fresh fruit. And cut out refined sugar or sugar substitutes. In other words no saccharine, soda's or other junk type foods.

Maybe see a nutritionalist. They can help you best determine what you need to eat and how much to reach your goal. And so you can do it in a healthy manner. Don't fall victim to any fad diets.

iamcloudlander
09-11-06, 02:47 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...marinejobs.htm
I posted this site to another poolee today with the same question about height and weight. This site will tell you all kinds of answers you might have in regards to MOS' availibility and which MOS' are hiring,uniform regs,weight to height requirements plus much much more.
The weight to height is not so much an issue as is the body fat content.
My grandson in Feb 05 tried to join the Marine Corps and went through the PT training locally and was declared fit to join. When he took his physical he was not allowed to join as his body fat content did not meet Marine Corps requirements. For 5 months he did everything he could to lower it but was still denied. He subsequently went into the Army in 10-05.
In regards to your feet if they hurt now they will kill you in boot camp. See a doctor that specializes in sports they will be your best bet on making sure that your feet are in as good a shape as the rest of your body. Remember the Marine Corps lives on their feet.

iamcloudlander
09-11-06, 02:59 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/l/blintweightmale.htm
This link will take you directly to the chart and it explains the body fat retention.
Also you are only 5 lbs over the max limit for your height and there are waivers available if you (you said yes) that you passed the IST.

JmikeJr88
09-11-06, 07:38 AM
Again, thanks for the help. Like I said before, theres no way I'm going to just let my feet stop me in boot camp. I don't care if they are broken. I swear to god I will die before I give up on this. I just can't wait for the first few weeks to be over because most people shed weight like it's nothing, or so i hear. My feet feel alright today and as I previously stated, it's a minor problem when it comes to the opurtunity to fulfill my dream. As for my eating, when I lost 50 lbs. or so to even be called a poolee I ate very right, basically as I stated in my other reply on this subject, I know what you mean by the boxed egg whites I think but it wasn't that or any of the other stuff, it was all very healthy, I lost that weight in 3 months. Somebody told me it could be because my body has grown immune to the way my body diets, so I switched it up a bit and am now eating the six small meals, with tuna, egg whites, chicken cutlets, one meal with just a cup of mixed steamed veggies. We'll see how this works and thanks again for the time you took to read this and the advice you provided to help.

Dennis Kleitsch
09-13-06, 04:51 AM
"cut the fat out of your diet and you'll lose it."

I must disagree.

Having recently read about 200 books on diet, health, and nutrition(and lost 190lbs), I must say no.

When you stop eating fat, your body thinks you are starving (well, you are, aren't you?), and you will stop loosing weight. It's a survival mechanism. Long term low fat diets damage your gall bladder (been there, done that).

You must eat the correct amount of protein to maintain your lean muscle mass, no more, and no less. If you eat less, your body will start eating its own muscles to get what it needs(more on how to determine protein requirements later).The fat calories must be equal to the protein calories. There is no medical need for carbohydrate(this is in the literature if you care to dig for it). Fiberous vegetables are good to keep things moving.

Which has more carbohydrate(trick question)?

Two pounds of broccoli and califlower?

One small McDonalds hamburger bun?

I eat a pound and a half of red meat per day, and three pounds of green beans, califlower, and broccoli. I am completely sedentary, and still loose about 14 lbs a month. I do some stretches from 'The Egoscue Method' (by Pete Egoscue, Vietnam era Marine), I cannot praise this book enough.

If you are active you could eat more than this.

How do you determine how much protein your body needs?

The easiest way is to look it up in 'The Zone' (by Barry Sears, a consultant for sports teams, and a bio-chemist with several drug patents). The only real problem you will have here is being honest with yourself about your activity level.

Sears fills in what I mentioned above, and more. The currently popular 'South Beach' diet has the induction phase from Atkins(a cardiologist), an on-going weight loss phase, and then transitions into 'The Zone'(more-or-less).

You will get sick if you don't eat enough protein.
You will get sick if you don't eat enough fat.
You will get sick if you loose weight too fast.

14 lbs per month is about the maximum most people can handle without problems.

When you get close to your ideal weight, get weighed under water to determine your lean mass. One you reach your ideal weight then you can add carbs until you find your 'set point'(both Atkins and Sears discuss this).

For most people Sears is the best way. If you need to lose faster, then short the carbs, now you have transitioned into the Atkins.

P.S.

If the label says 'low fat', don't eat it. Whole eggs and cheese are part of your daily protein requirement. My only question when I make a whole egg omlette is, four or six eggs? Colby or Swiss on top? For most people, when you reduce carbs in your diet, your cholesterol will go up for about a month, and then go down and stay there. Mine runs 110~120, no dangerous and expensive drugs needed.

I don't own a television. I read, a lot. I agree with Pete Egoscue, if you need to see a legal disclaimer, or the letters M.D. after the author's name, read no further. Health care starts with personal responsibility, but Marines already understand personal responsibility, don't they?

dodint
09-14-06, 04:50 PM
What do your books say about Ketosis? :thumbdown

Brass
09-20-06, 07:02 AM
I suggest you NOT follow the above post. I don't know what that guy is on, I would hope more than 3 pounds of green beans.

His_angel
09-20-06, 11:42 AM
Remember I mentioned "avoiding fad diets"? Sears, South Beach and Adkins are nothing more than just that.

Dennis Kleitsch
10-25-08, 09:05 AM
Ketosis is bad.

Using Ketostix and following Atkins or Sears and you will not see the sticks change color.

"Remember I mentioned "avoiding fad diets"? Sears, South Beach and Adkins are nothing more than just that. "

Atkins devised his diet to improve the health of his cardiac patients, weight loss was not the main goal.

Sears is a well respected diet consultant to professional sports.

Real about four books from each and we can discuss specific points from them that you feel to be incorrect.

jrhd97
10-25-08, 09:37 PM
You need to burn more calories than you take in to loose weight.
Cut all soda's / soft drinks and candy bars, m&m's ( junk along those lines ). When snacking, snack on veggies, fruit ( fresh or dried ) and nuts. Instead of 3 large meals, break them up into 4 - 5 small meals through out the day. If you are eating 1 -2 meals you are tricking your body into thinking it is starving. It will start storing up what you put in, making it much harder to loose weight.
Good running shoes are critical, especially for some one your size. Runners world has a good review of shoes.
Rest your feet for a few days and do other cardio mentioned. Swimming is most productive. It's a full body work out.
Instead of power lifting, try endurance lifting. A lighter weight at 4 sets of 20 reps with 20 seconds rest between sets. Throw in body weight exercises.
Be careful of diets like Atkins. When you get to boot camp you can not stay on them. The sudden change can make you sick.