PDA

View Full Version : Securing an MOS....has anyone heard of something like this??

Lepke
09-09-06, 09:08 PM
I just got back from my first Poolee meeting and it was awesome up until the end. The SSGT there told me that all the Infantry slots were full until October, and I ship in 16 days.

He then said that I will ship Open Contract, but before I ship I will come down to the RS and he will put me on the phone with someone from MCRD, who will take down all my information, and then fax over something in writing for me to sign that will guarantee me an Infantry slot when they open, which will be while I'm at Parris Island. The SSGT even said he would include the sheet that is faxed in my package. Is any of that even possible? I REALLY want to ship on the 25th of this month, but if it means I have to go open contract...I don't know about that.

Basically what I'm asking is; do any of you guys think this is possible or is he feeding me a line to meet his quota? I really like the SSGT and my Recruiter, but I don't know, this just sounds "fishy".

Thanks for the input.

Covey_Rider
09-09-06, 09:45 PM
I've never heard of this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I ship monday morning and I would think that my recruiter would have brought that up to me but I just don't know.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-06, 10:59 PM
This may be totally legit, but I wouldn't do it. I was taught that if it isn't in the contract it doesn't exist, I would caution you to follow that advice as well.

Marine84
09-09-06, 11:18 PM
Let him know you'll feel more comfortable if it's in black & white - if it ain't in black and white....................there's no such thing.

FooDawg
09-09-06, 11:57 PM
Remember, if noone else can be held accountable, then you are held accountable. Meaning, you signed an Open Contract already. If they ship you out and your contract was never 0300, you are open contract. Dont matter what funky stuff they have you sign, if it isnt a contract sheet with 0300 on it, you arent getting that I dont believe. They might try and be generous and give you first available, but what if someone else gets it instead of you, what if 15 other people before you have signed these first available things, you are the 16th person in line. Id be careful and shoot for the guarantee, at least for your own personal satisfaction and security. The Marine Corps isnt going to go anywhere in the next few months, so if it means pushing your ship date back a bit and allowing you to have a definate job, id take the push back date. But thats just me.

Good luck and let us know what you decide/what happens. Thanks.

WJason777
09-10-06, 12:13 AM
Yeah you dont want to be stuck with doing something you dont like, like Fry Cook or something.

STA0311
09-10-06, 05:12 AM
Sounds like a CROC to me...you really mean to tell me that the "fighting force" that is calling back loads of Marines doesnt have open slots in the 0300 OC Field!?!?! I think that your recruiter is up to something and if I was you I would not fall for his "I'll make a call" BS. Remember, this enlistment is for you! Make it what you want so that you may reenlist, dont go for whatever they give you and hate it for 4 years, which will make you hate the Corps and never re-up!

J-Ro
09-10-06, 08:44 AM
Yeah.. I'm going to Call BS, I wouldn't do it doesn't sound like he's being straight with you

Accord
09-10-06, 01:43 PM
You ship 5 days before the new fiscal year begins. Simply push back your ship date even just a week and you should have no problem getting a guaranteed infantry slot. If it ****es off your recruiter, so be it.

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't do it. Have them make you contract for MOS 0300, push back your ship date, and boom. Your recruiter may try and talk you out of it but do NOT do it. Remember, you are joining the Corps to do what YOU want to do, not what your recruiter wants or what even the Corps wants (to an extent). You have the power, not them.

dodint
09-10-06, 04:34 PM
I don't know Lepke or his situation, but I'm willing to bet he "really" wants to ship on that date because it's the one where you graduate on 12/22 and get to be home for xmas/new years.

I "really" wanted that date to (gradutates on my b-day, to boot) but I'm physically not ready so I pushed it back.

WJason777
09-10-06, 10:13 PM
Why should the day you graduate matters? What are you going to do when you get station overseas for xmas/new years?

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 10:24 PM
You get 10 day vacation, regardless, right after boot.

J-Ro
09-10-06, 10:44 PM
hey poolees, and Marine Friends,
After you Graduate Boot Camp you'll still be undefined Marines! You'll get your 10 day Boot Leave and then you'll ship out to MCT Marine Combat Training either camp pendleton or the east coast and then you'll go to your M.O.S. Military Occupational Speciality Schools. So regardless of whether you go overseas or not your going to go with an M.O.S. So, WJason the graduation date Does not matter because you'll still be in training after boot camp.

Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

WannabeDevildog
09-11-06, 12:00 AM
I would definately NOT go open contract. I know it's a totally different branch, and the Air Farce to boot, but one of my friends was an electricians apprentice before he joined. He went open contract thinking they'd definately make him a spark chaser because of his background. Now I'm gettin' e-mails from him whining about the crappy job he got. Just wait till you can get the MOS you want WITHOUT QUESTION.

iamcloudlander
09-11-06, 02:31 AM
The first lesson you should learn in life is never sign an open contract with the terms to be filled out later or with promises of what will happen. First and foremost the Marines needs will be met by all open contracts your desires will not matter. Second if you are given one of the MOS' that no one in their right mind would want you are just stuck with it until you can ship over and hopefully get the one you want. As in any contract remember Caveat Emptor--let the buyer beware!!!

cplbrooks
09-11-06, 08:50 AM
DO NOT GO OPEN CONTRACT. You will end up in Bulk Fuel or something really bad like cleaning out sh itters or something. Push your ship date back. Your recruiter is taking care of his needs not yours. Probably needs x number of open contracts to make his mission for the month or something. You wont see him again but you will be stuck with the crappy job for four years. If you go open contract they will stick you in a job that people are not picking by choice.

Lepke
09-11-06, 09:50 AM
Thank you all for your helpful replies

I've decided to just wait until I can get an Infantry slot, because 10 days of happiness isn't worth the 4 years of potential unhappiness.

I don't know Lepke or his situation, but I'm willing to bet he "really" wants to ship on that date because it's the one where you graduate on 12/22 and get to be home for xmas/new years.

I "really" wanted that date to (gradutates on my b-day, to boot) but I'm physically not ready so I pushed it back.

Hey Gess! It's me man, Godfather03 from the Wannabe Forum. Isn't that some ****, man? Both of us really wanted that shipdate and neither of us are going! Oh well, good luck whenever you do leave.

Why should the day you graduate matters? What are you going to do when you get station overseas for xmas/new years?

That's exactly why I wanted to be home THIS Christmas, because I know I'm going to miss the next three.

Korling
09-11-06, 10:35 AM
<<< Went Open Contract...BEST MOVE I EVER MADE! Glad I decided not to wait. Ended up as a 2673 Cryptologic Linguist Korean and loved every minute of it!

Mike McIntyre
09-11-06, 10:44 AM
Either wait for the new fiscal year or get your recruiter to shop around to the other duty station for open slots. The Marines at MEPS do it all the time. It sounds like your recruiter is taking the easy way out.

Marine84
09-11-06, 11:33 AM
I was open contract and got Ordnance - WHAT A GOOD TIME THAT WAS!!!!

IYAOYAS! :banana:

Mike McIntyre
09-11-06, 11:38 AM
Remember,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The Corps will put you where they need you.

Lepke
09-11-06, 01:42 PM
Wel I am glad you all were pleased with your decision to go Open Contract, but I am interested in Infantry and only Infantry.

Thank you for your input.

jaxson
09-11-06, 02:12 PM
No slots for 0311? Well that motivates me!

Open contract on the other hand does not motivate me...

YOU are ultimately responsible for watching your behind when you sign your contract. Hard to imagine having a ship date without already signing something. My daughter's teacher son left last week for PI and has 0311 in his contract. Keep us posted.

0311 was never an option for me, so I had to marry one! (My MOS 2531)

Achped
09-11-06, 02:28 PM
I am currently open contract but I ship next June.

I am talking to my recruiter and she keeps saying "encouraging" things such as "Don't worry, I'll take care of it" when I ask "I don't know what MOS I should pick."

I know I made a commitment, but I *will not* ship without an MOS in my contract.

Lepke
09-11-06, 05:09 PM
No slots for 0311? Well that motivates me!

Open contract on the other hand does not motivate me...

YOU are ultimately responsible for watching your behind when you sign your contract. Hard to imagine having a ship date without already signing something. My daughter's teacher son left last week for PI and has 0311 in his contract. Keep us posted.

0311 was never an option for me, so I had to marry one! (My MOS 2531)

They give you a shipdate when you enlist at MEPS. The contract you sign at MEPS is an Open Contract, and you sit down with your recruiter on a later date and sign another one that has a job in it. So I had already signed something when I got my shipdate.

Your daughter's teacher's son must have enlisted as a reservist, because Active Duty poolee's can only enlist for an MOS field (such as 0300), while reservists can enlist for a primary MOS (such as 0311). This is due to the fact that reservists are enlisting into a specific unit, so they are filling a specific billet. Active Duty recruit's can go to any unit, so their primary MOS is dictated by the Corps.

Thank's for your input and good luck to the future 0311 that you know.

FooDawg
09-11-06, 05:29 PM
<<< Went Open Contract...BEST MOVE I EVER MADE! Glad I decided not to wait. Ended up as a 2673 Cryptologic Linguist Korean and loved every minute of it!

That sounds cool. Im real into cryptology and would love to learn another language like korean. What kinda code stuff did you learn that you can discuss (if any)??

jaxson
09-12-06, 10:02 AM
They give you a shipdate when you enlist at MEPS. The contract you sign at MEPS is an Open Contract, and you sit down with your recruiter on a later date and sign another one that has a job in it. So I had already signed something when I got my shipdate.

Your daughter's teacher's son must have enlisted as a reservist, because Active Duty poolee's can only enlist for an MOS field (such as 0300), while reservists can enlist for a primary MOS (such as 0311). This is due to the fact that reservists are enlisting into a specific unit, so they are filling a specific billet. Active Duty recruit's can go to any unit, so their primary MOS is dictated by the Corps.

Thank's for your input and good luck to the future 0311 that you know.

Thanks Lepke for updating me, been along time since I was TAD on recruiting duty, 1982 to be exact. As much as I hate to admit, things have probably changed a bit since then. BTW married the 0311 in 1975. He was so gung ho that I joined in 81. LOL we split up when I got out and he stayed in.:iwo:

Lepke
09-12-06, 10:36 AM
Thanks Lepke for updating me, been along time since I was TAD on recruiting duty, 1982 to be exact. As much as I hate to admit, things have probably changed a bit since then. BTW married the 0311 in 1975. He was so gung ho that I joined in 81. LOL we split up when I got out and he stayed in.:iwo:

Anytime ;)

Static_Sky25
09-12-06, 03:36 PM
was convinced to sign "open contract" so he could be a Hospital Corpsman... yeah, didn't happen for him

dodint
09-12-06, 06:55 PM
Hey Gess! It's me man, Godfather03 from the Wannabe Forum. Isn't that some ****, man? Both of us really wanted that shipdate and neither of us are going! Oh well, good luck whenever you do leave.

Hey man, glad to see you did the right thing and waited for whats best for you. It's really itching at me not to get to go exactly when I want too, but you'll be better focused on being the best recruit you can be if you're not constantly wondering what MOS you're going to end up with.

If you end up getting Oct 16th, get in touch because thats when I'm supposed to go. I'm also waiting until Oct 1st to get my job nailed down too, because Intel and Aviation Ops are both closed this late too.

Lepke
09-12-06, 07:05 PM
Hey man, glad to see you did the right thing and waited for whats best for you. It's really itching at me not to get to go exactly when I want too, but you'll be better focused on being the best recruit you can be if you're not constantly wondering what MOS you're going to end up with.

If you end up getting Oct 16th, get in touch because thats when I'm supposed to go. I'm also waiting until Oct 1st to get my job nailed down too, because Intel and Aviation Ops are both closed this late too.

Yea man I know what you mean about it itching at you. I really wanted to leave on that date too. Oh well, your right, not having to constantly worry about what MOS you'll get, or getting recycled and missing Christmas (for you, Christmas AND your birthday if I remeber correctly) will give us more room to focus on the task at hand.

I'll definitely get in touch if I get 10/16/06. Good luck with your job. Take care man.