PDA

View Full Version : MOS 0321 Question

WhiteRabbit
09-09-06, 01:47 AM
Alright, well I'm sure some of you ladies and gentlemen out there have already seen threads like these and have already said their peace on the subject, however, I tried tracking down some of the previous posts on the subject but apparently I'm dumber than I thought, or they aren't there.

Now, I've always wanted to be a Recon Marine, HALO/HAHO. That is my ultimate goal, to be the best of the best, the shine of the spear itself. However, I can't seem to find good websites on the matter and, knowing the internet, it can be biased information or false, and could have changed. Anyone out there who is/was in Recon or knows someone who is, can you pass along some information for me? For example, what kind of things am I expecting once I get my ass into actual operations and how is the RIP/BRC? I know the general things about it; Run, Run, Run, Swim, Swim, Swim, Run, Swim, Run Run, Swim, you get the idea. Also any advice one can give when preparing for Recon would be most appreciated.

Here are some specifics about myself.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170 lbs
Pullups: 14-16
Crunches: 130-150 in 2m
Run: 1 1/2 Mile: 10m/ 3 Mile: 26m (Terrible I know I know.)

I'm very motivated, my brother being a Marine himself. Ever since we were kids we'd always test each other, always try and be better than the other. When he went off to become a Marine, and me still in elementary school, I looked up to him. As I grew older (18 now), I started realizing that its not just about competition but for myself. I want to prove to myself I can do it, and one-upping my brother is just icing on the cake. I want to be able to come home and say, "Look, I did this. Not many people can." Its a personal goal of mine. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to work ethics or personal goals, so I'm sticking with anything that will help me in the long run.

I'm a senior in high school, graduating next year in May. I was thinking of signing my contract into the DEP 6 months post-graduation and waiting a year for an 0321 slot to open. Also, I am taking the Recon Contract, which my recruiter has already furnished me a copy of it.

Thank you in advance,
~Wanna-Be-Marine,
Michael

FutureMarine630
09-09-06, 02:01 AM
Just a friendly reminder, just because you sign the 0321 contract doesnt mean you get Recon, all it is saying is that you are given a try at the indoc (which is before you even start training). I learned this a while back and started looking at different MOS's. I was informed that the mores years of Infantry i get under my belt the better off i would be in Recon, that is just what i am told though.

I am stopping there because that is as much as i can help at the moment. Good luck. And sorry agian Marines if i am out of place, just put me where i need to be.

Travis

yellowwing
09-09-06, 05:56 AM
3 Mile: 26 minutes. My Old and Gray Granny can do 26 minutes! Our weakest smallest WM can kick your ass on 26 minutes.

You got to get harsh on the run time. If your into weights, put on an extra 25 pounds. Generally look at your surrounding landscape. Is there a mountain in your warm safe landscape? Schedule several trips to the top of that be-yotch. That will give you the strength to break 20 minutes.

bigdog43701
09-09-06, 10:47 AM
First things first. Make it thru Boot Camp get the title..go to SOI..get the 03XX MOS and after about a year in the FMF apply.

Dude, your putting the apple cart in front of the hourse.

maverickmarine
09-09-06, 11:08 AM
I agree with what the other Marines have said and I have addressed this before. First, it is true that just because you sign up for 0321 doesn't mean you will get it. Second, when I was in you had to be a proven performer in your unit and get recommended and then go to indoc. Third, although you now can go and give the indoc a try now a days fresh out of boot, I would highly recommend focusing on earning the title and seeing if you can be a squared away Marine and an assest to my Marine Corps before you move forward. Finally, you would really need to square away your PFT to even consider the indoc.

Marine84
09-09-06, 03:04 PM
Yellowwing - try less than 10......................oh you mean run faster than him in 26 minutes. :p

WhiteRabbit
09-09-06, 05:18 PM
I understand that the contract will only give me a chance at RIP, and I still have a year and half or 2 years till I actually -sign- my paperwork. This is in order to fully prepare my body and mind for the trials ahead. My run time does indeed suck major ballsack, because I smoke. Thats gonna be a quick fix in the future anyway.

There are a few hills I can run up and down around my immediate area, I might start doing that. Also, were you meaning 25 pounds in muscle mass or 25 pounds on ankle/wrist weights?

yellowwing
09-09-06, 07:17 PM
Running up and down those hills will do miracles for strength. In two years we can have you running a freakin Marathon.

Achped
09-09-06, 08:42 PM
I hate Florida, the only hills here are on bridges :(

yellowwing
09-09-06, 08:47 PM
I hate Florida, the only hills here are on bridges :(
LOL
63 billion on Infrastructure, sure go ahead and run up and down those clover leafs. :yes:

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-06, 11:04 PM
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170 lbs
Pullups: 14-16
Crunches: 130-150 in 2m
Run: 1 1/2 Mile: 10m/ 3 Mile: 26m (Terrible I know I know.)

Do us all a favor, spend some time to get into shape, and then come talk about being Ricky Recon. With those numbers, it simply won't happen. You're going to need a 285 on the PFT, so you need to fix the run and pull ups. Once you've done that, I'm sure we can get you all the Recon info you could ever want.

FooDawg
09-09-06, 11:39 PM
I understand that the contract will only give me a chance at RIP, and I still have a year and half or 2 years till I actually -sign- my paperwork. This is in order to fully prepare my body and mind for the trials ahead. My run time does indeed suck major ballsack, because I smoke. Thats gonna be a quick fix in the future anyway.

There are a few hills I can run up and down around my immediate area, I might start doing that. Also, were you meaning 25 pounds in muscle mass or 25 pounds on ankle/wrist weights?

2 years till you actually sign your paperwork? Im confused, your telling me they are gonna hold an 0321 slot for you for 2 years? Dood, your DEP only lasts 1 year and can only be pushed back for up to a year. Your ASVAB scores have a 2 year expiration as well. Every 03XX Marine gets the oppurtunity to try Recon Indoc dont they?? You dont need to sign a contract, they just ask everyone who got a 295 on the PFT or better (295-300, haha). Youll have to run 3 consecutive 6min miles to get 100 on the running. 20 pullups and 100 crunches in 2 min. Get there first, then get through boot. If you persevere though, you can do anything you want. If its something you REALLY want, prove it to yourself, but I wouldnt recommend taking the shortcuts getting there.

Just like Army SF contracts, Its a nice thought, but cmon, you need to make sure you even like military life first.

Hopefully everythign works out for you though, Goodluck.

STA0311
09-10-06, 05:18 AM
Just another friendly reminder...these 'boots' that are going into an 0321 contract in boot camp and DO make it to the INDOC, are NOT being treated very well by the guys at Battalion. So be prepared to get some serious crap...they earned their 0321 status and feel that all others should too the old fashioned way...by being selected and proven...not by it being handed out as an incentive to up the low recruiting numbers.

MillRatUSMC
09-10-06, 10:27 AM
:usmc:
From my own experience after serving in 1st and 3rd Recon Battalions.
Duty with the 1st Recon Bn.
We made a small trip towards Cuba in what now is known as the "Missiles of October" in 1962.
Duty with the 3rd Recon Bn, was from 1963 till April of 1965.
On arriving on Okinawa after leaving K-Bay for South Vietnam.
Many of the line-infantry companies.
Found themselves short of Non-Commissioned-Officers (NCO's).
Seeing that I was a Corporal, the needs of the Corps,were greater than my needs.
I got orders to report to India 3rd Bn 4th Marines.
I was assigned to an infantry platoon as a Squad Leader.
Just three days before sailing to South Vietnam.
I stand in awe of what my fellow Recon Marines,
Did in South Vietnam.
And what they suffered and endured while serving as Recon Marines.
That has laid the foundation on what's to follow.

MOS 0321, Reconnaissance Marine

What Recon does;
The classic mission of Battalion Reconnaissance is in support
of the Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF), conducting
clandestine surveillance and battlefield intelligence missions to
assist the MAGTF commander in the protection and position of his ground combat element.
Force Reconnaissance units differ in that they literally are a Force asset, operating at the Marine Expeditionary Force level
and utilized as a strategic asset of the theater command.

Reconnaissance is considered an intelligence collection asset.
But because of their extensive training and ability to operate
clandestinely in small units, Reconnaissance Marines take the
lead in raids, in extremis and hostage rescue, and other
designated special operations.

It will require that you complete the Basic Reconnaissance

Course (BRC)

PURPOSE:

The primary purpose of BRC is to qualify students for assignment of the MOS Reconnaissance Man (0321).
The course also trains members of the U.S.
and allied armed forces units having an amphibious reconnaissance mission
in basic skills required to perform reconnaissance and surveillance operations in support of an amphibious operation, if school seat availability exists.

SCOPE:

The course provides the student with a basic knowledge of
reconnaissance doctrine, concepts, and techniques with emphasis on amphibious entry, extraction, beach reconnaissance, Combat Rubber Reconnaissance Craft (CRRC) operator skills and patrolling. The course combines lecture, demonstration, and practical application in communications, land navigation, supporting arms, rough terrain skills, patrolling, information reporting, M18A1 claymore mine, nautical navigation, coxswain skills, scout swimmer and physical training. Upon successful completion of the course, Marine students are qualified for assignment of the MOS 0321.

REQUIREMENTS OR PREREQUISITES:

1. Entry Level (Pipeline) Marines are first screened
while at the School of Infantry to attend the Basic Reconnaissance Course.

2. Marine and Navy (Corpsman) personnel from other Military
Occupational Specialties must be volunteers.

3. General prerequisites for all Marine students to attend the
Basic Reconnaissance Course.
The Marines Temporary Additional Duty orders to attend the Basic Reconnaissance Course.
Must have a statement certifying the Marine meets the requirements of subparagraphs b, c, d, e, f, and h.

a. Must have a GT score of 105 or higher.

b. Must possess a 1st class swimmer qualification, per MCO
1500.52. Entry-level Marines may enter the course with a
CWS-2 qualification, pursuant to passing the swim screen test.

c. Must obtain a 1st class score of 225 on the Physical Fitness Test (PFT).

d. Must have 20/200 near visual acuity or visual acuity not to exceed 20/400 with a completed PRK eye surgery candidate consult. Normal color vision is recommended, but not required provided the Marine can complete a vivid red and vivid green recognition test, per P117 Medical Manual of the Navy and
Army AR 40-501.

e. Must have completed the a Marine Infantry Rifleman
Course of appropriate Managed On The Job Training (MOJT).

f. Must be a U. S. Citizen.

g. Must be fluent in the English language. International
Military students must score an 80 on the English
Comprehensive Language Test.

h. Must be eligible for a secret clearance.

i. Must be medically and physically qualified to participate in
arduous physical activities and training. (It is strongly
recommended, students report free of any upper respiratory
infections, ear, nose, throat disorders, or any other medical
disorder that precludes exposure to salt water.)

These are just the physical, I think of greater importance.
Is the mental make up of a person.

Recon has for a motto "Swift, Silent and Deadly"
But it should also include;

1. Endurance
n.
1. The act, quality, or power of withstanding hardship or stress

2. Perseverance
n.
1. Steady persistence in adhering to a course of action,
a belief, or a purpose; steadfastness.

3. Dedication
n..
1. Selfless devotion.

4. Motivation
n.
a. The act or process of motivating.
b. The state of being motivated.

Because those will have to be called on day to day,
in the life of a Recon Marine.

Swift does not translates on how fast one runs
but on how fast one can complete an assigned duty.
Times I've wondered, where were we led astray.
What I mean by that, if we look to Marines from our historic past,
some would never make it into the Marine Corps of today,
but their deeds are what has made the word Marine,
Have meaning and respect world wide.
Times, I wondered;
Has this place more value on the lean and mean,
and place more stress, where stress is not needed.
Those who have large bones and body mass.
They almost have to starve themselves to make requirements.

The requirements of each individual Marine should include;
Dedication
Motivation
Perseverance
Endurance

These have been the rumbling of an old but at times a witless Marine.
:usmc:

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 10:29 AM
I understand guys and thanks for the feedback. What I ment by the 2 year thing was that I am not going to ship off until 2 years, so after I graduate high school, I will enter the DEP, and then wait a year before I ship off. I'm not worried about my ASVAB score, I'm fairly intellegent, however, it is indeed my physical fitness I need to worry about.

I do agree that I need to get the run time and pullups much much better, but since I have 2 years to do it in, I might as well say to myself I will be able to do it.

As far as being yelled at and harassed by the other Recon guys, so be it. Its something I wanna do and no one will ever stand in my way. This is something I'm doing for myself, not anyone else. Also on that note, why should merit of advice be given simply because I won't be able to make it into Recon right now? I know I cannot make it into Recon now and I've made peace with that. I simply have to work harder. All I asked was for a little bit of information to get me going into the right direction, so while I am training, I can have everything squared away and good to go.

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 10:33 AM
MilRatUSMC, Thank you very much for the insightful post and the information. Much obliged, sir.

MillRatUSMC
09-10-06, 12:10 PM
WhiteRabbit,
I stand humbled by your very kind words directed my direction.
We wish you the best in anything that you do now and in the future.
Thanks God, I had some mighty fine Marines as friends and my Commanding Officers.

MillRatUSMC
09-10-06, 12:33 PM
James H. Webb Jr. rarely mentions on the campaign trail his efforts to clear the name of a black Marine convicted of mass murder in Vietnam. <br />
But the incident tested his sense of leadership, justice...

Accord
09-10-06, 01:35 PM
I understand that the contract will only give me a chance at RIP, and I still have a year and half or 2 years till I actually -sign- my paperwork.
It does not guarantee you a chance at RIP, it merely gives you a chance to take the 1-day long indoc. Nothing more.

His_angel
09-10-06, 02:23 PM
Don't have mountains? Run up and down some stairs. Get on one of those running machines where you can adjust the tension and grade. Beaches and running in sand. Put some weights on your ankles. There are all sorts of tricks to make the running more challenging and to help improve your times. Go ahead and start with any of these. Then when you run on flat land, without weights or whatever then it'll be easier thus helping improve your run time.

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 03:40 PM
I'll have to try that His_Angel, thanks. I have a community center card where they have treadmills that have incline as well as stepper machines for resistance. I'll do both whenever I can, since I work and go to school. I'll definately fit them in somehow, though. Also, I live in Missouri, so I don't have any beaches around me unfortunately.

I was under the impression RIP was the Indoc for Recon, but I may be mistaken. Things like this is why I joined leatherneck.com, to become fully aware of what I am getting myself into and the proper step-by-step procedures that I have to endure before I can truly hold any title, weither it be Marine or Recon Marine, doesn't matter.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

iamcloudlander
09-10-06, 04:00 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blmarinejobs.htm

Go to this site and you will find out just about anything you wish to know about any MOS.
SSgt Nelson gave it to me and it is fantastic as it contains not only MOS information but uniform regs,awards and even tells you if an MOS is hiring or not.

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 04:13 PM
Thank you very much iamcloudlander!

WhiteRabbit
09-10-06, 11:33 PM
I've decided to go into 03XX for 2-3 years and then volunteer. I think this would help me be a better Marine, first and foremost, and also strengthen my body better than I could've dreamed.

JReid
09-10-06, 11:57 PM
Good choice I believe.

FooDawg
09-11-06, 05:20 PM
Good choice WhiteRabbit. I'm sure youll be happy with your decision.

WhiteRabbit
09-11-06, 05:47 PM
Yeah. I hope I get 0311 but I know the Corps will put me where I fit best. Hell, if I'm in Iraq, and the **** starts hitting too close to comfort, I will always have a rifle handy.

"Marine a rifleman first." or something to that effect. :)