PDA

View Full Version : Likely joining the Corps soon

The Rooster
09-08-06, 08:21 PM
I'm a senior in high school, and have been in JROTC the whole time. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. I'm thinking either military police or becoming a sniper. And no - it's not because of the movies. I know there are alot of "kids" out there that want to be snipers. It just seems like a calling to me. I know of all the training and the tests involved. I know it will be extremely challenging, but I'm up for it. I'm 6'1", 170 lbs, and in alright physical condition. I have 20/20 vision. I was hoping to get info/advice about basic and maybe some advice on how to prepare physically - I know some military exercises - should I do those? I'm meeting with a recruiter on Tuesday, but I don't think it can hurt to have a second opinion. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Marine84
09-08-06, 09:22 PM
First you have to stand at attention, tap your heels together 3 times while saying "I want to be a sniper"

jinelson
09-08-06, 09:32 PM
Ok Rooster Im sure that someone will have some good answers to your question but first:

1. You will need to fill out your profile, I sent you a private message with links to help you. While your at it read the first few sticky threads in the Poolee Hall forum they are our rules.

2. There is no such thing as basic training in my Marine Corps perhaps you got confused with the Army of One. We have a recruit training that Marines refer to as boot camp and it produces basic Marines.

3. We have all the knowlege and help you need to get you to the yellers at the MCRD's here on this site and to see if you are Marine material. Please worry about becoming a basic Marine first before a sniper, its not as easy and simple as you may think.

4. Read, Read, Read and then Read some more, here no one is impressed with your size, vision or ROTC back ground. Do yourself a favor and get to know JWG he is my fire team leader and ask him to give you some motivation.

5. Welcome Aboard Leatherneck.com Recruit Forums, I hope that you have what it takes to realize your wish to become a United States Marine.

http://www.shareaphoto.info/uploads/5e17f6172b.jpg (http://www.shareaphoto.info)

The Rooster
09-08-06, 10:33 PM
Perhaps you might have misunderstood - I was not trying to impress any of you. I was trying to give you an idea of how I should physically prepare for the Marines, and what you should not tell me. I was giving you the idea that some things in the military won't be new to me, and that you weren't talking to someone totally oblivious to military life. I know JROTC is nothing impressive. I am only in it so I can be better prepared for the Marines. And I know becoming a sniper would be the hardest thing I have ever done. That's why I want to do it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-08-06, 11:00 PM
To be a sniper you have to be selected. Look around at the forums and see how many people are trying to get those slots. It isn't an easy thing to do. You'd better be just about perfect. That means no lower than a 285 PFT, great PRO/CON marks, a willingness to go out of your way to learn (off duty education and MCIs), natural leadership ability, and of course a high score on the rifle range. Manage all of that and you'll be ready to think about trying to become a sniper.

Marine84
09-09-06, 03:23 PM
OK kid............I'll be the light one on this one (well, as light as I can be) cause I know these guys are going to tear you a new one IF you have the cajones to come back for more.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that SSGT Jinelson tells you to do - do it before you get locked out of this site like your big brother used to lock you out of the house when you would fight - except SSGT Jinelson won't be nice enough to let you back in the "house". First rule of being a Marine, kid (and you ARE just that in a lot of our eyes), is knowing when to shut your pie hole and listen up - THIS is one of them times. Nobody in here really gives a fat baby's a$$ what you may want to hear, you'll get all the knowledge and motivation you can stand but you HAVE to follow the rules and shut your pie hole. As with a Drill Instructor, if he's up in your grill telling you stuff like he ain't too dang impressed with you, you CAN NOT bow up at him and go "but I....................." - just say "yes Sir" and SHUT UP.

Now go fill out your profile and SHUT IT!

His_angel
09-09-06, 10:51 PM
Gee. You ain't too bright there are ya? Still haven't filled out that profile. Yet you've made a reply since it was explained to you earlier in this thread. Read the rules. Follow the rules. Use the search function up there. It's there for a reason. Because that same thing you asked had been asked dozens of times.

You really want to be a Marine? Then prove it. Fill out that profile already and do a search. Then come back here and post your results.

J-Ro
09-09-06, 11:36 PM
Rooster, Rooster whatever you think you know about Military lifestyles? The Marine Corps will definetly be an EYE OPENER for YOU!!!

and TRUST US, YOU!!! are not impressing any of us, whether you were trying too or not, Leatherneck.com is for Marines to gather and chat, when I see American flags under your name automatically, I know your a GUEST so fill the profile.

We live like soldiers, talk like sailors and slap the hell out of both of them.

STA0311
09-10-06, 05:23 AM
Well you might as well get the "I'm going to be a Scout/Sniper" out of your head. You dont get to decide that you will be an opearator in a STA Platoon. You are chosen after being a proven operator. I say go MP because you obviously cant follow directions...THE PROFILE, and your spotter wont want to do ALL of your work for you.