PDA

View Full Version : MOS Curiosity

Dainslef
09-08-06, 07:24 PM
Hey everyone. I'm due to attend bootcamp on Sept 18th. I chose Infantry as my MOS. However, my g/f and I would like to get married one day, so my recruiter asked me if I was sure that I wanted Infantry. Out of curiosity, I asked him why he would ask. He told me that a young corporal recently got divorced because he was in the infantry (due to his constant deployments). He also explained that he'd seen 'quite a few' divorces in the Corps. He informed me of other MOS's that would allow me to possibly see my g/f more often. Is this true? I'm looking into Logistics... and I was curious if anyone on the forum is in or knows someone that is in logistics. Thanks.

Achped
09-08-06, 08:40 PM
I'm speaking from what I've heard, as I'm obviously not a Marine, but logic would tell you a Marine doing infantry would see less of his family than a Marine with a "9-5 desk job."

My buddy is a LCpl (Craziest rank in the service for anyone who doesn't already know) and a few of his boot camp buddies when to SOI and are in Okinawa now. Even at your duty station, if it isn't Iraq, youll be in the bush ALL the time, 0700-1700 M-F no matter what, rain or shine, you're in the bush.

You try having a family life in those conditions...sad but its the truth.

Marine84
09-08-06, 09:05 PM
Jesus! Another one?

cplbrooks
09-08-06, 09:28 PM
you are only 20. Dont get married at all during your first hitch. I was 21 when i got married and was divorced by 23. This is too young for any couple to get married but coupled with the circumstances of Marine life, divorce is almost certain.

L3532
09-08-06, 10:07 PM
Your g/f is going to have to take a back seat for awhile kid, and damm the MO, they'll put you where they need you after boot. If you don't go over and get your feet wet you'll regret it the rest of your life.
Semper Fi

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-08-06, 10:31 PM
First, grunts aren't in the field (or bush as it was put) every day of the week. There are plenty of grunts in garrison at any given time.

Now, the infantry may be a little worse than some jobs when it comes to marriages, but none in the Marine Corps are particularly healthy, especially for a first term Marine. There is simply too much going on around you, and your family just cannot come first all of the time. You will be deployed, you'll have duty, you'll have to prepare for CGI inspections, and time away from home will be common. Unless you're involved with a very special woman that can deal with everything that comes with being a Marine wife, you're setting yourself up for disaster.