PDA

View Full Version : Wtc Ground Zero

DaveXIII90
09-08-06, 05:31 PM
Have any of you been to ground zero? I am just wondering what it is like- what it feels like to stand there- I dont have the oppurtunity to travel to NYC much, so for me I am naturally very curious. I am asking because earlier this week my school had a random drawing out of something hundred students, and picked at random I believe 20 students to take a trip to ground zero on Sept 12th this year. I was one of the students whom was selected to go. I am curious as to what the experience will be like. Thank you.

jinelson
09-08-06, 07:58 PM
Dave most of us havent had the oppritunity, you are fortunate. Create a thread and tell us of your experience when you get back.

Jim

DaveXIII90
09-08-06, 08:16 PM
I sure will

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-08-06, 11:05 PM
I am sure it will be different for every single person that ever visits there. By being alive when it happened, we would all have a different view of it that someone born 50 years from now would, just as I have a different view of the USS Arizona than those that were alive at the time do. In addition, your position of being a wannabe will allow you to see it differently than your classmates. Regardless, just remember that the ground you will be visiting is sacred. It is the location that changed our world. So pay your respects to the men and women that lost their lives in that location, think of the heroic acts of the police and fire departments, and soak it all in.

DaveXIII90
09-09-06, 10:46 AM
That is what I plan on doing. I will be sure to isolate all the other thoughts in my mind, and take a few minutes, hopefully more than a few minutes, to think about the acts of heroism on that day. Also, the group I will be going with on the trip has a plack(Spelling?) to be built into the memorial. I am sure that this will be a very unique experience, and I will be sure to remember o report the experience Ive had there once I return the following day.

LivinSoFree
09-09-06, 07:09 PM
I was there about 8 months after the fact when it was still a hole. The thing about it was not the sight of it all, it was the smell. It smelled like death- wholly and totally like the end of the line. Doubt it's still that way but...

DaveXIII90
09-10-06, 08:39 AM
I believe you. It may not smell like death when I go there, but I am sure I will feel an undescribable feeling of the horror and sadness on that day- but I will also take time to remember the many great people who helped rescue and clean up despite the trajic event on september 11th.

junker316
09-10-06, 11:26 AM
Some friends been there and there was only a hole in the ground...They placed flowers and flags around an area and prayed for the ones lost there. They were upset that even after years that the Memorial wasn't completed and the Government changes the ideas on the Memorial every third day. The one other advice I can give is not to expect to much but be happy for what you get to be a part of.