PDA

View Full Version : When did the Corps allow WMs to have visible tattoos on their legs?

fontman
09-08-06, 04:14 PM
When did the Corps allow WMs to have visible tattoos on their legs?

Below is a photo from the Women Marines Association Reception and Banquet held Sept. 6th snagged from the CMC's Photo Gallery.

http://www.thefontman.com/wm_convention_tattoo.jpg

Back in my day, if they had tattoos, they had to be cosmetically hidden when wearing skirt/dress.

Please enlighten me...

Echo5November
09-08-06, 04:35 PM
Forget the LCpl with the ankle tat, who is that smokin motivated Sgt shaking the commandants hand? Hopefully she has "Get" tattooed on one buttcheek, and "Some" on the other.

fontman
09-08-06, 07:02 PM
Now I know we have some active duty WMs aboard here.

So, any answers to my query, please?

;)

booksbenji
09-08-06, 09:15 PM
any tat's!!! Oh now I see it, ankle one. i know in the 60's and 70's it was a NONO :evilgrin:

MillRatUSMC
09-09-06, 12:50 AM
All I could find was this and its very vague in nature;

b. Tattoos or brands on the neck and head are prohibited. In other areas of the body, tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also prohibited.

Now that open to interpretation in any manner that one might desire.
Must the PC of recent times, my 1st Sergeant in Bravo Company 3rd Recon in 1965 would never get in the door of the Marine Corps of today.
As I remember, every part of the 1st. Sgt. body that could be covered by the uniform had a tatoo.
Also I seem to recall that he had a tatoo of a ball and chain, the chain started around the 1st. Sgt. neck and the ball was square in the middle of the 1st. Sgt. chest.
One does not fight with a tatoo and to me this all about nothing.
Than to read that they turned away an idividual because he had eight tatoo's, everything else was what the Corps was seeking in a recruit.
Much to do about nothing.
My 1st. Sgt. was a veteran of World War II , Korea and I think he saw service in Vietnam.
Oh! I forgot to say my 1st. Sgt. fought in the German Army as a youth, maybe that why they waved everything having to do with his service in Germany.
Sitting here remembering one morning when I had to go the office for something or to sign something on being promoted to Corporal.
I walked in and extend a greeting to my 1st.Sgt. "Good Morning 1st Sgt."
Well that was returned with some harsh words, I think he was a bit hung over as Marines of those times were known to do.
Well, I exited and came back in; being a wise Alpha, Serria, Serria, I than said "Lets try that again 1st. Sgt, Good Morning 1st. Sergeant his last name."
I think he must have said to himself "if this idiot can see something funny in all this, I will go alone.
He bust out laughing and told to sign the papers that clerks had produced.
What a different Corps we had back than, and I still remember some of the Marines I served with, they were highly motivated and dedicated Marines.
My Platoon Commander was 1st Lt. Frank Stanley Reasoner USMC.
I was not aware of the caliber of the Marine Officer, fate had place me in his command.
Events and his death in Vietnam were to prove to me those facts.
We had plenty of tatoo's as Marines of that time, seems that every chance we had, some would get a tatoo...
Been rumbling but trying to remember all that about tatoo's

MetalManiac
09-09-06, 06:36 AM
Forget the LCpl with the ankle tat, who is that smokin motivated Sgt shaking the commandants hand? Hopefully she has "Get" tattooed on one buttcheek, and "Some" on the other.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A.D.I.D.A.S

J-Ro
09-11-06, 02:23 AM

:cool: lol

yellowwing
09-11-06, 02:31 AM
A double tatoo of a pair of handles would be sufficient. :banana:

candi
09-11-06, 08:32 AM
Like with men getting tat's on their forearms...it is 'suggested' that if you get a tattoo that you put it where it will be covered by your uniform..
For guys, this is above where your short sleeves would fall...
For the ladies...same deal...and the uniform skirt should cover the tats.

Keep in mind these are 'suggestions' and not a MC order...they want to 'encourage' Marines to maintain a professional look..however some smart person decided not to make that an order-we all know Marines love displaying their Marine Corps pride with a tat!

V65racer
09-11-06, 09:24 AM

At first I was wonder what Tat we were talking about. Who was that wonderful Sgt.............

Oh, Tat's? If she had it when she enlisted I believe it's a non issue, but when I was in they would have to be covered.