PDA

View Full Version : Specific examples of Leadership

MetalManiac
09-08-06, 12:05 PM
The 3 biggest traits senior Marines look for in their junior Marines are 1. Leadership, 2. Initiative and 3. Attention to Detail. I organized them in that order because its easy to display...

mrbsox
09-08-06, 12:41 PM
Spread the Praise !!

As a (long ago) retail store manager, I got put over a failing store operation. They were good people, but had lost a great manager. I had to bring the store back on line.

To me, the solution was pretty simple since the TEAM was capable of doing it, just needed the drive. After a couple of months, we 'made the numbers'. When the store made the numbers, I made a bonus. I COULD NOT have made that bonus without my people, the TEAM.

I ALWAYS shared the bonus with them (while keeping a portion for myself/family), and reminded them that THEY were the store, not the parts on the shelves.

They soon started checking and making sure we made the numbers.

MetalManiac
09-08-06, 12:47 PM
ah yes....

Leadership: Praise in public, reprimand in private

Not Leadership: Chewing someout out in from of his peers (well actually there's a time and a place for everything), but this is a last resort for a stubborn Marine. Or if your a SSgt, never chew out your Sgt's in front of your LCpl's. Youre basically telling your LCpl's that you have zero faith in that particular Sgt and that he is a piece of ****.

MillRatUSMC
09-08-06, 01:08 PM
First a little sea-story here; When I was working in the steelmills of Northwest Indiana.
A co-worker used to slip out before the shift was done, to insure that he was one of the first out the gate.
Well, management in all their God given wisdom made this man a supervisor.
He had been a member of the U. S Army, not that it matters.
His favorite saying to those under his supervision was "Make Me Shine".
Well the NCO in me, saw the falsity in that type of thinking, because we were always taught from day one in boot camp, it was your job to make others "shine".
The concept of going from the "I" to the "We" that way everybody was shining.
I was a supervisior on a different shift, and I knew all my co-workers watched how you did your job and conducted yourself, when you was worker just like them.
Sometimes what you did in the past, can come to bite in in your A$$.
If this is out there someplace, I hope that I have stolen it.
T - Total team
E - Effort
A - Assures
M - Maximum performance

Not bad ideals to live by.
As a Marine NCO, we were guide by our Leadership Principals.
Any NCO worth his stripes will ALWAYS put those who command have placed in his care first.
Common sense should guide you.
Living your Marine Corps Core Values should take care of anything remaining.
Live your Marine Corps Values
Or they just might become Bantered Words
On Bannered Walls...

What drove as a Marine and what drives me today,
As a father and grandfather...

outlaw3179
09-08-06, 01:09 PM
Priorities of work. One of my biggest pet peaves. If its chow time and you still havent cleaned your weapon, set up correctly in the defense, or done whatever various things need to be done beforehand....then guess what...you dont get chow. Your Marines may hate you but theyll understand why later when their weapon fires correctly when they need it to.

MetalManiac
09-08-06, 01:25 PM
yes, definately, priorities at work. Ive been an MSG for over 3 years now and it is an independant duty. Once word is passed and tasks assigned, get them done, use time management. And do them well, I hate when Marines strive for the absolute minimum.