PDA

View Full Version : A HEAD-UP's...15 September 2006

MillRatUSMC
09-08-06, 10:52 AM
http://www.usmemorialday.org/pow-mia-07.gif

15 September 2006
POW/MIA Recognition Day

Some places such as the VA already have the "Missing Man" table displayed.
Buildings on Federal Property are required to fly the POW/MIA Flag on the day of our recognition 15 September of this year.
It might be timely as we have a soldier in Iraq un-accounted for.
Its also being used to honor our fallen warriors.

I wish that I could say everybody will be honor or remembering our POW/MIA's.
Some have the belief that some were/are just looking to make a buck.
And give false hope to those who a family member un-accounted or Missing In Action.
To me its not about money, its about keeping the faith.
From the poem OLDER GENERATION;

Peace with honor,
That never came,
We left our P.O.W.s
Without any shame.

No the shame will come when we no longer care or remember them.

thedrifter
09-08-06, 11:05 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34383

thedrifter
09-08-06, 03:08 PM
POW/MIA 's honored
September 8, 2006

Albany -- About a dozen former POW's and family representatives for MIA's were honored at the 20th Annual POW/MIA Recognition Breakfast at Albany's Marine Base.

The second Friday in September is set aside at the Base to honor the men and women for their service and sacrifice.

Cindy Thompson attended Albany's recognition breakfast for the first time, as her father, Petty Officer First Class Melvin Thompson, a Colquitt native, was honored. Cindy Thompson said "Proud. It was very nice."

Cindy was only five years old during the Vietnam War, when her father's plane was shot down over the Gulf of Siam, on February 6, 1968. His body was never recovered, so he is listed as one of the 2583 unaccounted for from Vietnam. Thompson said "It's a good feeling to know that people have not forgotten him, and forgotten others who gave their lives."

Colonel Michael Kampsen was Deputy Commander for Task Force-Full Accounting for the Marines, the force that searches for United States military killed in wars, to bring their remains home. Logistics Command Chief of Staff Col. Michael Kampsen said "These numbers are going down because we live in a country that never forgets it's heroes."

Kampsen assured the Prisoners of War and the family of Missing in Action that they are not forgotten, and that the struggle to find fallen comrades remains to bring them home is still a priority mission.

Every year the Base sets up the Fallen Comrade Table during this ceremony. Every item on the table has a special meaning to honor those captured or lost in war.

Thompson said she will return to this annual event, to honor her father. Thompson said "Oh, yes, oh, yes, every chance I get."

September 15th is National POW/MIA Recognition Day.

From 2001 to 2004 54 American soldiers remains were recovered and identified in Southeast Asia.

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
09-08-06, 03:42 PM
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/pow_day.html

A web page I made for 15 September 2006, but since you brought up the ceremony...that part of this web page.
The poem was written by another veteran and I hope he will forgive me this once, because I'm using it to honor those who are now listed as POW/MIA.
We pray that will be clousure for many families before all the parents, wife's past...

booksbenji
09-09-06, 08:13 PM
for it so our VFW could have 1.:thumbup:

booksbenji
09-10-06, 09:53 AM
REMEMBERING THOSE WHO ARE MISSING

On September 15, 2006 Americans will be called upon to "remember to remember" those who still remain prisoners of war/missing in action from all wars and now those from Sept. 11, 2001.

For those families who lost a loved on that tragic day in September, the grim reality is more than likely their loved one will be impossible to be identified because of the nature of the deaths, despite advances in DNA technology.

This is something families of prisoners of war and missing in action understand all to well as they prepare to remember their loved ones on Sept. 15th on National POW/MIA Recognition Day. We have lived with the unknowns and lack of closure for decades. (Sept 26th will be 39 years our family received the tragic news of our loved one reported missing in Vietnam)

We agonize with the families of the missing in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, because we know well what they have gone through. Their journey of no closure is still a fresh wound, but for MIA families from Vietnam, Korea, WWII and the Cold War, and Desert Storm many years have passed and until resolution of our loved ones, there will always be an empty spot in our hearts. At least, these families from 9-11 have the peace of heart knowing where their love ones are located.

Losing a loved one is a tragedy, but one that can be overcome, and life moves on, never forgotten but dealt with from necessity. Having a loved one missing brings a sense of unending uncertainty. Despite logic, reason and common sense, without answers there is no end.

Recall for a brief moment, the scene at the end of the movie "Saving Private Ryan," when Private Ryan is attempting to thank Capt. Miller, who is dying of wounds. Miller's response cried out to all of us....."EARN THIS!"

National POW/MIA Recognition Day provides a visible opportunity to honor the unique service of American's POW/MIA's and to support their families, who have endured far to many years without answers. It is also a meaningful way to signal those currently serving that our nation stands fully behind them and if captured or missing, will take every reasonable action to return them------alive or dead----to our country and family. They certainly have "EARNED THIS" by their devotion and duty to our country for the protection so many now take for granted.

DYING FOR FREEDOM ISN'T THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN....BEING FORGOTTEN IS !

Susie Stephens
MIA USASF 67 VN
GA State & Region 1 Coordinator
National League of Families for POW/MIAs
President, GA Committee for POW/MIAs Inc.
902 Mill Ct
Savannah, gA 31419

http://www.thesquadbay.com/forum2/Smileys/default/handsalute.png

MillRatUSMC
09-10-06, 10:09 AM
Gracias, Books
For your kind words and this last posting, and its ironic that it comes just four days after 911...