PDA

View Full Version : Miramar Marines, sailors depart for another deployment

thedrifter
09-08-06, 07:10 AM
Miramar Marines, sailors depart for another deployment

By: JOE BECK - Staff Writer

MIRAMAR ---- The first gray streaks of light at Miramar Marine Corps Air Station on Thursday fell over a bittersweet gathering of Marines and sailors and their friends and families.

After more than three years of war, here it was again: The beginning of another deployment to Iraq, this one for 230 members of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.

The troops greeted the buses that pulled up to bear them away with faces that reflected a range of emotions ---- pensive, bored, relaxed, confident, worried, rueful, stoic, determined.

Few showed any signs of grogginess, despite beginning their day in the predawn darkness.

"It's my job, so I do it," said Sgt. Charena Lafayette, of Pine Bluff, Ark., bound for Iraq for the third time.

Lafayette was traveling with a special accessory: A white teddy bear attached to her backpack that she received from one of her two children.

Lafayette's seven-year career in the Marine Corps has included time on the island of Okinawa, which decades ago was the site of some of the bloodiest fighting involving American forces during World War II.

Her latest deployment to Iraq is scheduled to last seven months, about the same as her earlier stints, barring any extensions ordered by the Pentagon.

Like other parents, Lafayette said it was hard to leave her children. But she was also confident that her fiance would take good care of them in her absence. In the meantime, she is committed to doing her best in Iraq.

"It's a very interesting job and very challenging," she said. "That's why I do it."

Lafayette's unflappable attitude, common among the Marines and sailors, was harder to find among the friends and family members who gathered to say goodbye. Many made no effort to hide their pain and worries.

"None of us want him to go," said Judith Razutis, grandmother of Lance Cpl. Matthew Razutis of Kuna, Idaho. "We want him to have a nice, cushy job. I want him to stay safe."

Cpl. Chris Lamm of Vega, Texas, said it was tough leaving behind a toddler daughter and a pregnant wife due to deliver in October.

"The hardest part is leaving my family," said Lamm, who is a welder on his third deployment to Iraq. "My daughter, Iíve already missed a large chunk of her life."

Some sailors and Marines weren't afraid to admit at least a little trepidation. Lance Cpl. Aldo Rodriguez of Lompoc was among those headed off on his first overseas mission. He learned he would be going about a year ago.

"Iím more worried than excited," Rodriguez said. "But we do what we have to do."

His mother and stepfather also have military experience, but Rodriguez's mother, Ramona Ross, said it was different when she was in the Army Reserves during the 1980s.

"There was no war on the horizon," she said.

The arrival of the buses signaled it was time for the troops to line up and go. One last exchange of hugs and teary kisses with loved ones and they were off, carrying backpacks, military hardware and a mix of emotions, bound for Iraq.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at (760) 740-5426 or jbeck@nctimes.com.

Ellie