PDA

View Full Version : Marines come home to waiting families

thedrifter
09-07-06, 01:45 PM
Marines come home to waiting families
Michelle Mitchell
The Desert Sun
September 7, 2006

It's the little things that Marines returning home from Iraq said they missed. Things Americans take for granted - electricity, freedom and living without constant fear of attack.

"It's great," said Cpl. Hector Gomez, whose 13 family members welcomed him in customized welcome home shirts. "It's good just being home."

About 146 members of Marine Wing Support Squadron 374 returned to the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center on Wednesday after a seven-month deployment to Iraq. The crew provided ground support for aircraft in the war in Iraq.

Many family members arrived at the base before sunrise, expecting their Marines to arrive between 5 and 7 a.m.

They continued to wait patiently as the arrival time was pushed back several hours.

"It comes with the job," said Delinda Giles, who came to the base around 5:30 a.m.

It's the second homecoming for Giles' husband, Jason, but this time was different because he would meet his 5-month-old daughter for the first time.

John and Donna Davidson's son, Lance Cpl. Will Davidson, returned from his first trip to Iraq and Donna said they weren't sure what to expect after his first experience overseas.

The Davidsons came from Virginia with their son's fiancé, Tracey VanHelden.

"I'm just ready for my best friend to come back," VanHelden said.

Busloads of love
With every announced update, the crowd and the excitement grew: The buses are in Morongo Valley, Joshua Tree, the front gates.

Then, about 10 a.m., someone yelled, "There's the bus!" A short cheer erupted from the crowd and soon the reunions began.

"It was love at first sight," Staff Sgt. Jason Giles said after meeting his daughter.

"He held her and she didn't cry," Delinda said, as her other two children jumped around, talking excitedly.

"She knew it was her dad."

'Making a difference'
David Lynch, another proud father, drove from North Carolina to meet his son, Lance Cpl. Christopher Lynch.

"I'm just so glad for him to be home and safe," Lynch said. "So many of the guys aren't so lucky."

He threw an arm around his son and his eyes filled with tears as he explained how Christopher helped a poor Iraqi man whose old sandals had practically worn away.

"My boy went and bought the man some shoes," Lynch said, his voice breaking with pride.

Christopher Lynch said that, regardless of individual opinions of the war, Americans need to know the military is "definitely making a difference."

"It's going to be worth it in the long run," Lynch said.

The Marines have four days off and then return to work on the base.

Ellie