PDA

View Full Version : GOOGLE, APPLE use U.S. Marine's Constant Mission Improvement!

thedrifter
09-06-06, 06:14 PM
GOOGLE, APPLE use U.S. Marine's Constant Mission Improvement!

Posted Sep 6th 2006 2:01PM by Sheldon Liber
Filed under: Management, Internet, Blogs, Rants and raves, Competitive strategy, Google (GOOG), Microsoft (MSFT), eBay (EBAY), General Electric (GE), Time Warner (TWX), Starbucks (SBUX), Intel (INTC), Home Depot (HD), Netflix (NFLX), Toyota Motor Corp. (TM)

Most of what I write about draws on my experience as an investor over the last four decades, and my investment company interests. However, my role as an architect has taught me many valuable lessons as well. One of my most cherished lessons comes from the United States Marines Corps.

Constant Mission Improvement
The concept of Constant Mission Improvement was presented to me in early programming and design meetings for an aircraft maintenance training facility at the U. S. Marine Corps Air Station, Camp Pendleton, CA. There is nothing complex about the concept. Simply stated, everything shall be reviewed on a constant basis for potential improvement, and if something can be improved then strive to make it happen. This means that each team member, owners representatives designers, engineers, managers and the rest shall be on the look out for ways to make the project better all the time.

Think of Jack Welch's adoption of the Six Sigma program; disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving towards six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process.

Think of what eBay (EBAY) should be doing and is not.
Once upon a time they seemed to be using a form of Constant Mission Improvement, taking feedback from buyers and sellers on a constant basis to modify the company's systems. eBay strove to be better with each passing day. It seems to have lost its way based on the seller feedback I have been receiving.

The Internet creates the opportunity to make this process much more robust than ever before. This in essence is how Linux was envisioned, and for the most part how it evolved. It demands the ultimate in cooperation.

One for all, and all for one! Think of the Marines as the "Three Musketeers" times 10,000. The Marines are the ultimate team players. I think we were practicing Constant Mission Improvement already when we came upon the term but it added clear definition to our thinking. Clarity of mission is a related aspect of the process. How are you supposed to solve a problem or accomplish a goal if it is not clearly defined? So defining the mission is the first critical step.

Among our BloggingStocks companies, I think Time Warner (TWX) with its multitude of enterprises has the greatest problem with clarity of mission. Carl Icahn seems to want to help management with this. From an investor's point of view, don't you feel like they have been trying to figure things out for the past eight to ten years, even pre-merger with AOL? It probably was one of the factors that lead to the fiasco of a merger in the first place. Mr. Icahn sees the company as worth more in pieces because he rightly knows that focus and clarity will add value. It will allow investors to have a better understanding of the mission and its potential.

If Microsoft (MSFT) does not watch out it could, too, end up in a very muddled place. I think it has been heading in this direction as management searches for the next big thing and tries to sustain its market position in the mean time.

Can-Do Attitude: It seems to me that Google has implemented some form of Constant Mission Improvement. Google (GOOG) and Apple (AAPL) apear to be the most focused of our BloggingStocks companies at this time, and they have seen the greatest reward in recent history-- Go Eric, Go Steve! Federal Express (FDX), Southwest Airlines (LUV), Starbucks (SBUX), and Toyota (TM / ADR) come to mind as well. There are many, and success can be fleeting so the word constant is not to be understated. Dell is similary focused; but it may have been focused on the wrong thing for a while.

GM, Ford, Home Depot, and eBay are companies that seem to lose their way at times. Home Depot may be on the road back sooner than the others. They are in the process of redirecting their efforts. Just give me a call, folks I think I can help you with this! Or maybe it's "time to call in the Marines" (used to be the Calvary)...or the children's version-- I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...choo choo!

Joy at BloggingStocks.com: Our editors Amey Stone and Sarah Gilbert have been terrific at facilitating our story ideas. We work as a team to present ideas, and the challenge of being relevant and interesting while always polishing has been rewarding so far. I give credit also to those with some wisdom to add in their comments from time to time. They keep us sharp and more focused and also spark additional ideas to ponder for future posts...so keep it coming. I'm not always great at accepting criticism but I do enjoy making things better.

Everyone should practice Constant Mission Improvement I have worked with every branch of the Departmentof Defense but the Marines were the best. From my experience they are as special as they present themselves; The Few, the Proud, the Brave.

Disclosure: I currently own shares of Time Warner (TWX), Federal Express (FDX) and Starbucks. I hold no position long or short in any of the other companies mentioned.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-06-06, 06:15 PM
Ebay sellers turning into pit bulls?

Posted Sep 6th 2006 4:51PM by Sheldon Liber
Filed under: After the bell, Management, Internet, Blogs, Rants and raves, Competitive strategy, Google (GOOG), Apple Computer (AAPL), eBay (EBAY)

Today I posted a story focused on business strategy GOOGLE, APPLE use U.S. Marine's Constant Mission Improvement! and giving credit to Google (GOOG) and Apple (AAPL) for having a clear one, similar to what I perceived the U.S. Marines Corps would do. I mentioned many other companies too. First comments back came from eBay sellers. Seems no matter what the story, eBay sellers will relate it back to eBay and won't let go. I have noticed this with almost all of our posts. Should we start an eBay forum at AOL nicknamed 'Pit Bulls of the Web'?

I have written numerous articles about eBay from different perspectives and been supportive of the seller's point of view, but a question still remains for 'sellers'. If eBay has lost its magic or is just plain lost, why not just move on and find another avenue to sell your wares? It you think it's the only game in town (monopoly), then have you petitioned the FTC, SEC, Justice Dept., not individually but collectively?

Have you assembled a group of sellers that are also shareholders to collectively approach the Board and other shareholders to propose an initiative for the next shareholders meeting? Have you tried to contact institutional investors or large shareholders about your grievances?

eBay shares closed at $28.21, higher than at just about any point since my previous eBay posts. It has actually outperformed most other BloggingStocks companies during the period. What gives sellers, people are still investing? The market has a positive view of the company; has everyone been fooled? When will they wake up?

So now I have given you an appropriate forum dedicated just to eBay sellers! Educate us! And stay focused Gary....we still love you! Any new insights folks?

Disclosure: I hold no position in eBay (EBAY), Apple (AAPL) or Google (GOOG), long or short. We all have a stake in the USMC.

Ellie