PDA

View Full Version : Officer-Enlisted Marriages...Help

semperfi05m
09-06-06, 10:51 AM
Hey everyone. Well, here's my situtation. My boyfriend (who's pf I am posting this from) just left for boot camp on the 21st of August. So, he will then be an enlisted Marine. But the thing is, I am applying for the United States Naval Academy and if I get accepted, will be leaving next June. I am still in high school right now so I have never served in the military or anything yet. If I do get accepted to this, when I graduate, I will become an officer. I know while you are at the Academy you can't be married, but when I graduate I'd be able to. I guess my question is, if I am an officer in the Marine Corps or Navy and my boyfriend is enlisted in the Marine Corps, are we able to get married? Any information you have would be highly appreciated. Thank you!!

:usmc: Christina

outlaw3179
09-06-06, 11:06 AM
Hey Crhistina I know you didnt know but before someone bust your chops to bad, make sure you open your own acct. up. as far as your question Im almost sure there wont be any problem but lets see what some of the other members say.

Mike McIntyre
09-06-06, 11:12 AM
My Niece is an 0-1 up for O-2 in the Navy. Her husband is an E-4 on a boomer (Sub). It can be done but there are limitations. She was in NROTC in college and he was going to get out after 4 years. He reenlisted and that changed things. Here is an option:
First: You must be married before you get commissioned. My niece had a civil wedding the day before her commissioning.
Second: You need to prove that you were dating before you enter the Academy, NROTC, OCS etc. My niece was engaged two years before her commission.
Last: He cannot be in your command. My niece is in Pensacola and her husband is stationed out of Kings Bay, GA.
It works for them because he is out to sea and then has extended leave but it is NOT easy.