PDA

View Full Version : Ark Royal sails for Gulf mission

thedrifter
01-11-03, 12:26 PM
By CNN's Mike Harrison
Saturday, January 11, 2003 Posted: 1811 GMT

PORTSMOUTH, England (CNN) -- The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal has set sail for the Gulf region where it will lead Britain's largest naval taskforce for 20 years.

Flag-waving relatives and wellwishers packed the quayside as the carrier steamed out of Portsmouth harbour, on Britain's south coast, for what is initially expected to be a six-month tour.

It will first head to Scotland to collect ammunition, and will then sail to the Mediterranean to join up with the rest of Naval Task Group 03.

The flotilla ostensibly heading for long-planned military exercises in the Far East but the powerful task group is intended to underline the "clear and credible" threat of force facing Saddam Hussein if he refuses to give up his weapons of mass destruction, and could be diverted to operational status at a moment's notice.

The force, carrying 3,000 Royal Marine commandos, will comprise 16 surface vessels -- including the helicopter carrier HMS Ocean -- and one nuclear-powered submarine armed with Tomahawk cruise missiles.

Task force commander Rear Admiral David Snelson said it was the largest British naval deployment since the Falklands war and represented "one part of the jigsaw of combat power."

He told a press conference on board the vessel: "It is a classic use of maritime power.

"Having ships like aircraft carriers permits you to deploy considerable combat power on the high seas without necessarily having to bother host nations."

He added: "There is no doubt that British forces are ready if they are needed."

CNN's Matthew Chance said the ships could spearhead a large scale British military deployment in any war with Iraq.

He said: "Military officials say this is the biggest naval task force assembled by Britain for 20 years -- and meant to pose a credible threat to Saddam.

"And while officials in Washington and London insist no decision on going to war has been taken, the deployment of this British force could be a significant step."

Part of the final preparations for the Ark Royal's departure included the loading of supplies for the vessel's crew of 1,000.

Stores loaded on Friday included one million cigarettes, 144,000 chocolate bars, 2,000 cases or 48,000 cans of soft drinks and 36,000 cans of beer.

The average age of the crew is just 24, but at 18 and 5ft 1in tall Angela Scales could be forgiven for being more nervous than most.

Scales, a radar maintainer, told reporters: "I am looking forward to it. Obviously, you are aware of what is going on but no-one knows what is really going to happen and we could be back home in a few months.

"It is my first time at sea but I am not nervous."

Leading operator maintainer, Chris Kent, 22, from Swindon, will miss one of the most important experiences of his life while at sea -- the birth of first child in May.

He said: "I am quite gutted to be honest that I will not be there, but I guess that's life."

FACT BOX
The Ark Royal is the Royal Navy's biggest battleship and the service's flagship aircraft carrier.

At 20,000 tonnes and 210 metres long, she is larger than sister ships HMS Invincible and HMS Illustrious.

HMS Ark Royal is the fifth Royal Navy vessel to bear the name.

Its carrier flight deck has been strengthened to take the new Merlin anti-submarine helicopters.

She can also carry Sea Harriers capable of air defence or ground attack, RAF Harrier GR7 surface attack planes, and Sea King helicopters.

The ship is protected by a Phalanx anti-missile system, Goalkeeper defence system and 20mm close-range guns.

Sempers,

Roger

yellowwing
01-11-03, 12:34 PM
I like the 36,000 cans of beer for 3,000 Royal Marines!

3BadgeMarine
01-11-03, 12:52 PM
It has just been announced in today's Telegraph that the US congressional Medal Of Honour has been awarded to a member of the RM Special Boat Service,the Marine a sergeant led a patrol of half-a-dozen SBS Commandos to rescue a member of the CIA's special activities section from thefort at Qala-i-Jangi in November 2001.The Medal was awarded to the SBS sergeant in a private ceromony and kept quite to preserve his anonymity.The SBS are Based at the Royal Marines Amphibious training school at Poole in Dorset UK. Well done the sergeant.

3BadgeMarine
01-11-03, 12:57 PM
36.000 Cans of beer on the wall,36.00 cans of beer (Hic)

greensideout
01-11-03, 06:31 PM
Hay, 3BadgeMarine! I never remember singing more then, "99 beers on the wall"! Are you getting special treatment?

A Royal Marine receives the U.S. CMH? No news about this?

Please post a copy of the article. A hero deserves his due.