PDA

View Full Version : VFW post uses male strippers for fundraiser

thedrifter
09-05-06, 01:53 PM
September 11, 2006
VFW post uses male strippers for fundraiser
‘Hot August Night’ event relocates after town officials question decency

O’FALLON, Ill. — Fran Harris considered it thinking outside the box by the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post — male dancers stripped down to their G-strings to raise cash for GIs.

The 49-year-old federal worker gladly plunked down $18 for a seat to the all-ladies “Hot August Night.”

Tickets to see the “Men of the USA” beefcakes sold quickly, raising what three months-worth of fish fries would have generated for VFW Post 805 in this St. Louis suburb.

Under pressure by city officials, the show was called off. But here’s the naked truth: The entertainment went on Aug. 26 — just not here.

O’Fallon administrators had questioned the decency of the event, causing the VFW post to cancel it to head off a potentially costly legal fight or the possibility that the post could be fined or lose its liquor license.

But on Aug. 23, the post commander, Vietnam veteran Chip Shaffer, learned that the Oz nightclub in Sauget, about 18 miles from O’Fallon, had agreed to host the show.

“I’m proud to see other communities have stood up to help us out,” said the 52-year-old retired Navy veteran, who heads the roughly 300-member post in this town in the shadow of Scott Air Force Base.

Shaffer told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the event raised $2,000, with 127 of the 148 ticket holders making the trip to Sauget.

The money will go to U.S. service members overseas for supplies, and to their families needing help with bills, Shaffer said.

“One of the things I’m proud of is the fact that no matter how this was perceived, attention was brought back to the troops that are deployed and the families that have been left behind,” Shaffer told the newspaper. “To me, that is very important.”

Nice idea, but not here

While appreciative of the VFW, O’Fallon City Administrator Walter Denton said the city’s opposition to the event was about what’s appropriate — not about what’s patriotic.

“We have no problem with the VFW and their mission of supporting the troops,” Denton said, noting that the city for the past three years has covered shipping costs of care packages the post has sent overseas.

“We just felt the show was inappropriate and in violation of our ordinances.”

Shaffer said the VFW canceled the event Aug. 22, just days after receiving a letter from the city saying the show would violate codes regulating “illicit dancing,” “sexually oriented” businesses, and alcohol sales or consumption within certain distances of a school.

Denying the show would have been obscene or too risque, Shaffer said the VFW had been exploring whether dancers could wear less-revealing Speedo-style garments instead of G-strings in O’Fallon — an option he said city leaders also turned down.

The event sold about half of the 300 available tickets despite “low-key” advertising, Shaffer said — signs were up at the post, but not around town.

The best seats fetched $20, with each woman promised champagne and a rose.

A wonderful visit to Oz

Oz’s operations chief couldn’t resist volunteering his club and staff for the three-hour show.

“I’m caught up in the whole troops business just like everyone else,” Richard Donald said.

“I realize just how much they do for us, and I’m glad to do this.”

Shaffer was left shaking his head, wondering what all the fuss was about.

“We didn’t mean any harm,” he said.

“You could go to any public swimming pool and see more than you’d see at this show. After this week, I’m still trying to figure out what country we’re in. This would have never gone over in the 1950s or ’60s, but this is the 21st century.”

— Jim Suhr, The Associated Press

Ellie

Us girls can never have fun...;) :D