PDA

View Full Version : The Reverend Sydney Smith on WAR

CoffeeHead20
09-05-06, 11:48 AM
The greatest curse which can be entailed upon humankind is a state of war. All the atrocious crimes committed in years of peace -- all that is spent in peace by the secret corruptions or by the thoughtless extravagances of nations -- are mere trifles compared with the gigantic evils which stalk over the world in a state of war. God is forgotten in war -- every principle of Christian charity is trampled upon.

... Sydney Smith (1771–1845)

Mike McIntyre
09-05-06, 12:15 PM
Though I am not in favor of war and constantly pray for those who protect my freedoms, I am amazed at those who portray the Christian mind set as ALL loving and weak!!!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
My God is a loving god but he is also righteous and just, with justice comes punishment and if necessary WAR.
<o:p></o:p>
Reread your Old Testament. God not only condoned War he commanded it.

jinelson
09-05-06, 01:47 PM
Well CoffeeHead20 since your profile says that you are not only Sky Pilot but also a medical consultant you may understand this parable that I will quote from an earlier thread posted today "Mistakes George Bush Didnt Make";

Let me tell you a small parable, if I can call it that.

Imagine that I am sick. I go to see Dr. Neo Con, who says, "My friend, I am sorry to tell you that you have cancer. You have a large tumor. It is well advanced. And it is malignant."

"What," I ask, "Can we do?"

"Well," says my doctor, "We can do surgery and get the tumor out, or most of it. Then we can do some radiation therapy to get as much of the rest as we can. And then we can do chemotherapy to kill off the cancer cells that have metastized throughout your body."

"And will do that do the trick?" I ask. "Will I live?"

"I certainly hope so," replies Dr. Neo Con, "Your cancer is fairly advanced, and I may not be able to save your life. But, I may. I am hopeful. Let's put it this way, if I treat you very aggressively, you have a fighting chance. If I do not treat you aggressively enough, or not at all, you will certainly die soon. I wish I had better news. I wish I had a magic wand. I wish I had a good option. But I don't. I'll do the best I can."

"No! You can't do that!" cried his assistant, Dr. Demo Crat. "You're going to hurt this patient! You're going to cut him! Then you're going to radiate him! Then you're going to pump him full of toxic chemicals! He will suffer! He may die! Stop!"

"Well, Dr. Crat," replied Dr. Con, "You are right. He will suffer. He may die. But if we don't do what is necessary to eradicate this cancer, he will certainly die. And if we do treat him, however much it may hurt him now, he may recover, and he may live."

Yes war is horrible, but if we were weak and afraid as the liberal left would have us we would have ceased to exist many years ago as a free nation!

"He died to make make men holy and he died to make men free." Have you ever heard or thought about that?