PDA

View Full Version : Marine Comes Home To A Family's Welcome

thedrifter
09-03-06, 07:19 AM
Marine Comes Home To A Family's Welcome
KOTV - 9/2/2006 6:10 PM - Updated: 9/2/2006 6:25 PM

Travis Richardson put everything on hold - including college - when he felt the calling to join the Marines after 9-11. After two tours of duty in Iraq, News on Six Reporter Joshua Brakhage found he's back on the homefront, hopefully for good.

It may be the only thing that could bring OSU, OU and Texas fans together. Marine Travis Richardson is back after two tours of duty in Iraq. But it's not the rivalries, but the recipes that make this day special.

Mike Richardson: "Got a little bit of everything in there."

Travis's dad Mike has been slaving over his smoker since before dawn. His roast beef just falls apart.

Mike Richardson: "Smoked it for 3 and a half hours, then finished cooking it."

While they wait, folks munch on chips and salsa... the salsa made by the man of the hour.

Travis Richardson: "I made a case and a half of salsa this morning"

Travis started working on the family favorite at 4 am. His grandparents have catered to his culinary capabilities.

Travis Richardson: "My grandparents owned a catering business, and I learned everything from them."

Linda Richardson: "He likes to cook, he likes to EAT, but he just likes when all the family's together and he's always like that ever since he was little."

Granddad Butch was in the service, too. He and his wife Linda shared their smoky secrets with their son and grandson. But taught them no meal could be complete without a family to share it with.

Butch Richardson: "Just having him home, having him back. And you feel like a whole family again."

All the more reasons to celebrate the most important things in Marines life: food, family and freedom. Near Mannford, Joshua Brakhage, The News on Six.

Ellie