PDA

View Full Version : 'I feel ashamed as a Marine'

thedrifter
09-03-06, 07:14 AM
'I feel ashamed as a Marine' <br />
By Karl Stampfl <br />
staff writer <br />
<br />
At a ceremony on Memorial Day in Plainfield, Marine Corps veteran Scott Pattermann stood saluting the flag during the Pledge of...

thedrifter
09-03-06, 07:56 AM
What I can never understand is why anyone wants to boast about their career .

My thoughts are when you Earned the Title of being a Marine, that is a accomplishment all on it own..;)

Ellie

Marine84
09-03-06, 08:36 AM
That is so sad...................he should have just been content with knowing that he really did do it just not when he was saying he was doing it and the medal thing................well, that was just wrong. He must have really needed some attention in his life to do that. Too bad he has to live with it for the rest of his life. I would be ashamed to be a Marine if I did something like that too.

yellowwing
09-03-06, 08:46 AM
Man, and now his son is in aviation training. That blows finding out that your Dad - Hero is full of ****.

jryanjack
09-03-06, 09:26 AM
I agree Ellie - having earned the title is the most important thing that you can earn.

BOOGIEMAN44
09-03-06, 09:38 AM
My thoughts are when you Earned the Title of being a Marine, that is a accomplishment all on it own..

MINE AS WELL, ONCE YOU EARN THAT TITLE, YOU ARE A MEMBER FOR LIFE, THE REST IS JUST X-TRA, MAYBE I HAVE BEEN LOCKED UP IN A CLOSET, BUT I ALWAYS HERE MARINES TELL HOW THEY MADE THAT LAST HEAD SHOT AT THE 500M LINE TO GET THERE EXPERT BADGE, BUT NEVER "BOAST" ON WAR BADGES OR MEDALS.

jerryk
09-03-06, 09:48 AM
why brag about medals you can take them all to macdonalds and it will still cost you a buck for a cup of coffee

inchon
09-03-06, 09:58 AM
MINE AS WELL, ONCE YOU EARN THAT TITLE, YOU ARE A MEMBER FOR LIFE, THE REST IS JUST X-TRA, MAYBE I HAVE BEEN LOCKED UP IN A CLOSET, BUT I ALWAYS HERE MARINES TELL HOW THEY MADE THAT LAST HEAD SHOT AT THE 500M LINE TO GET THERE EXPERT BADGE, BUT NEVER "BOAST" ON WAR BADGES OR MEDALS.

You know why? Marines are riflemen first. I was a 6th award expert when I went back to civilian life. Four of those were low 220's. By the skin of a pastie!!!

Way more embarressing to wear a pizza box for a year than have only a Good Conduct medal for life.

Just my opinion.

:flag:

BOOGIEMAN44
09-03-06, 10:06 AM
You know why?

OH, I KNOW WHY, I WAS JUST PUTTING IN MY 3 CENTS...

quakerboy74
09-03-06, 10:32 AM
This is a crock. I would have to agree with all of you on your thoughts. The proudest moment of each and every day is waking up, and knowing that I am what I say I am. A Marine. There is nothing better. The second greatest feeling of each and every day.....Is when someone asks me if I was. Of course my reply is, "Not was, I still am." No bs, no imaganitive dream. We all earned that title. And we earned the right to bear that title. And I'll be d*m^ed if anybody around me ever disgraces the HONOR of being a MARINE.

'Nuff said

Semper Fi!

david43844
09-03-06, 11:14 AM
That is so very very sad.Me thinks he needs help moreso than critisism.

Its better to be a once was, than a never will be

:flag:

Rowdy1948
09-03-06, 02:18 PM
I will never forget that feeling the day we were in formation in front of the theater at MCRD San Diago the day of Graduation all you guys know what I mean. what a feeling Semper Fi.

chafas2531
09-03-06, 03:34 PM
I will never forget that feeling the day we were in formation in front of the theater at MCRD San Diago the day of Graduation all you guys know what I mean. what a feeling Semper Fi.
:marine: ....and then making a mad dash for our seabags so we could go home for a few days! SEMPER FIDELIS!:usmc:
A Heart O' Texas Marine.
ben

iamcloudlander
09-03-06, 03:57 PM
I am posting this as a question regarding wearing the uniform and medals when they weren't earned.
A few years ago I allowed my son to wear my uniform for a costume party. He asked me for permission to wear it but he took the Marine emblems off the barracks cover and the blouse. He was not pertending to be a Marine but used it only as a Halloween costume. He told everyone he was not a Marine (14 years old at the time).
Was I wrong to do this??
Also I went into the Marines never having touched a weapon in my life. At Edson Range the PMO's taught me how to shoot and I earned a Marksman Badge. I shot a 208 and to this day I have never done anything that gave me more pride. In eight subsquent re-qual at the range I never shot any higher. I still wear the Marksman Badge with great pride. As a SSGT I qualified with the pistol as a Sharpshooter.

MillRatUSMC
09-03-06, 03:59 PM
WHY?
Just the other day, I read in a post something that went like this;
Earning the title is the easy part, living what that title means will be the hard part.
One can either live with honor, even if your dirt poor.
Or live a life with dishonor.
Well, this Marine has chosen to live a life of dishonor.
He states that he did it to "HONOR" other Marines.
Why is that becoming the norm with all these wantabee?
I been kicking around an idea for an Ezine story...
It will be about all the other Marines that served in Vietnam to today.
Who were not infantry or any elite unit,
We that being the infantry aka "Grunts" would call them names,
But to their credit they did the assignment given them.
Bear with me, I'm trying to tie all this in.
Most of the times, they would never be in a sitution that might result in the awarding of medals such as the Navy Cross, Bronze Star or the Silver Star.
Yet they served and are still serving.
None of these wantabee ever pad their resumes as one of these Marines.
He should have been proud that he took part in Operation Eagle Pull, the emergency evacuation in the spring of 1975 of U.S. citizens from Cambodia, which was in danger of falling to Communist Khmer Rouge guerrillas.
How will he ever face hisMarine son after living all these lies?
That what makes this all hard to swallow being a veteran of that war.

fontman
09-03-06, 06:05 PM
I am posting this as a question regarding wearing the uniform and medals when they weren't earned. UNITED STATES CODE > TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 33 > § 704

§ 704. Military medals or decorations

(a) In General.— Whoever knowingly wears, manufactures, or sells any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

;)