PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty to Reserve?

trippin
08-30-06, 02:58 PM
Just wondering, my brother has a friend in his class that says he was Active duty and did 2 tours, and switched to Reserves. Is that possible? And if so how? I've never heard of such a thing before.

outlaw3179
08-30-06, 03:02 PM
I did that . As soon as my active duty contract was up I got out and reenlisted in the reserves. I talked to a prior service recruiter out of Omaha. But if your still in you can just talk to your career councilor.

trippin
08-30-06, 03:09 PM
So it is possible to still have time left on your Active Duty Contract and switch over to reserves?

outlaw3179
08-30-06, 04:46 PM
that I doubt. you have to do your 4 or 6 years then you can switch over to reserves to fullfill your full 8. I have heard , dont know anyone personally but have heard about hardship situations where it was possible to do that.

WhiskeyPapa
08-30-06, 07:01 PM
Just wondering, my brother has a friend in his class that says he was Active duty and did 2 tours, and switched to Reserves. Is that possible? And if so how? I've never heard of such a thing before.

I did my 4 enlisted years in the MARDET on USS Simon Lake and in Alpha, 1/8. Carlos Hathcock was the Detachment Gunnery Sergeant on the 'Lake".

I started college and while still in the IRR was prompted to get into the local reserve unit. Seems like I had to drop down to corporal from my active duty rank of sergeant.

In the event, a beer party was more important than the phyiscal. Later, I was in the reserves as a lieutenant and captain.

The reserves are typically dying for people. And if you are in their geographical area, they have to let you drill, no matter what your MOS, unless that has changed.

Walt

STA0311
08-31-06, 11:50 AM
Thats what I did...4 Active, then went into the Reserves. Funny thing is, I did better stuff in the Reserves than on Active. I got to be an Anti Armor instructor on Active, but in the Reserves I got to go to STA Platoon AND do Super Squad! Hard work but Good Times!!!!

FriscoTxMan
08-31-06, 03:15 PM
It called going into the AR program, Active Reserves. Had never heard of AR Marines until I got to MAG-41 in Fort Worth....

His_angel
08-31-06, 05:42 PM
FriscoTXMan:

Noticed in your profile

Favorite Duty Station:
VMFA 232, MAG 11, Kanoehe Bay HI

When I was with VMFA-212 in KBay HI it was MAG 24 there. I thought MAG-11 was in Miramar. :confused: Did they move MAG-11 to KBay when I wasn't paying attention?

Angel