PDA

View Full Version : Many Legionnaires lash out at protests

thedrifter
08-30-06, 05:48 AM
Many Legionnaires lash out at protests
United front: They say troops need to know they have the support of folks back home
By Christopher Smart
and Heather May
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune

U.S. soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines fought so Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson could march, protest and shoot off his liberal mouth.

But veterans attending the American Legion's national convention in Utah's capital don't have to like it.
"He has his right to voice his displeasure," said Navy veteran Bob Shalala of Philadelphia. "But he is the mayor of Salt Lake City, and he should represent the city in a better way. And it won't fly with the veterans."

The Democratic mayor is "out of line," according to Vietnam War veteran David Sharber of Mount Vernon, Ind. "It's the mayor's prerogative, and there are men and women dying every day to give him that option."

But not all Legionnaires have a problem with Anderson heading up a demonstration at City Hall today against the Iraq war and President Bush's policies.

"That's what we're all about - free rights," said Korean War veteran Burt Tiemersma, of Whiting, Ind.

Unlike during the Vietnam War, anti-war fashion these days dictates supporting the troops, but not the war. But many attending this week's convention argue you cannot have one without the other.

Not Tiemersma.

"I support our troops 1,000 percent. But I don't support the war," he said. "I don't think we have any business being there.

Those people have been fighting each other for 2,000 years."

Nonetheless, many vets fear that not supporting Bush's policies on the war undermines the troops.

Men and women in the battlefield need to know the country is behind them, Shalala said. "I'm worried about those kids. And I don't want to send a bad message."

Demonstrations against the war in Iraq can be troubling for those who support the troops, explained Elaine Clancy, Humboldt, Neb., a member of the Legion's auxiliary.

"If they're protesting, are they really supporting our troops?

" she asked, wondering rhetorically if the protesters send troops "goody bags" like Legionnaires do. "People ought to still congratulate them [troops] for fighting - even protesters."

Many Legionnaires, including Minnesotan Frank Holmgren, a Navy vet who served during Vietnam, cannot relate to the demonstration. He called protesters "fools" for protesting against the wrong thing.

"If they want to protest, protest against taxes. The war, I think, is a good thing."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice assured Legionnaires Tuesday that protesting is a legitimate form of political expression. But she, too, sees anti-war demonstrators as misguided.

"I do hope that as people protest that they realize that they're protesting a war that actually has given people in Iraq and Afghanistan a war that liberated people from tyranny. There's something ironic in that."

Rice also criticized protesters who question Bush's integrity.
"President Bush did not go to war easily or lightly or eagerly," she said. "Those who want to say it was cavalier or lacked integrity or honesty - that crosses a line."

csmart@sltrib.com
hmay@sltrib.com
---
Tribune reporter Rebecca Walsh contributed to this story.

Ellie