PDA

View Full Version : Mom with son in Marine Corp boot camp writes newspaper

thedrifter
08-29-06, 08:39 AM
Mom with son in Marine Corp boot camp writes newspaper

Got another letter from Lisa Barbour of Arcadia. She's the mom with an 18-year-old son, Cody, who joined the U.S. Marine Corps after graduating from DeSoto County High School in June.

"Just a short letter to say, thank you. (I wrote a column about her situation from the first letter she sent me some weeks ago).

"Well, Cody has been at boot camp for almost three Mondays. Steve, (her husband), goes online to find out what is happening up at Parris Island. The Marines post something every day to help parents stay informed, very glad about that.

"I have written Cody eight letters so far. Oh it's been hard. Steve and I just walk around the house looking at one another. I keep all Cody's clothes in one spot. I wear a necklace and bracelet he wore before he left.

"I sound pretty nuts, but it's all pure love. Now I wish I would have had one more child. Just kidding. I got it right once. I might not have had such luck twice.

"I will tell you one more thing, Cody wants to be 'Honor Man,' like his father was. (This is a distinction awarded the most outstanding Marine in each training cycle.)

"Steve told him, 'Just make it through.' When Sep. 8 comes around we will see how it all turns out."

In Lisa's original letter to me, she explained that her son has always wanted to join the Marine Corps. When his high school friends found out he was going to sign up for "the Corps," they tried to talk him out of it. Cody would have none of it.

She closed her initial letter by observing: "Well, as you can tell I love Cody very much. I can't tell you how much I will miss him. Who knows what the future will now bring. All I know is that he is living a dream.

"The proud mother of a future Marine.

"Lisa Barbour"

Contact me

If you're a vet with a story or you have a friend who has a tale to tell about his part in any war or veterans' activity, give Don Moore a call at 941-681-3000, or 1-877-827-6204. You can also e-mail: moore@sun-herald.com, or fax: 941-681-3008. To send a letter, write: Englewood Sun, 167 W. Dearborn St., Englewood, FL 34223.

Ellie