PDA

View Full Version : Pull-ups

Midnightsoul
08-28-06, 04:25 PM
well after pulling my head out of my *** i have been working as hard as i can on getting pull-ups, but i still can't seem to get them down (or up i guess). ive been going to the gym 6 days out of the week for 1.5-2 hours working on my entire body but mostly my upper body using:

Lat bar at 130 pounds (with supinated grip) --- 10 reps 4-5 sets
Lat bar at 105 pounds (with pronated grip) --- 10 reps 4-5 sets
Tricep press/Seated Dip at 105 --- 15 reps 4-5 sets
Arm Curl at 50 pounds --- 15 reps 4-5 sets
Low Row at 100 pounds --- 10 reps 4-5 sets
and a few others i might be forgetting...

I have also been doing push-ups and some negatives as much as i can and i use a bar about 3.5 feet off the ground and i put myself at an 45 degree angle (or so im guessing) and do 4 sets of 15 reps on that. (i read somewhere thats how people who can't do pull-ups start...not sure if it really works)

(not sure if it matters but im 6'1" at 200 pounds with 19% body fat)

i don't know what else i can do and im hoping to do 1 before setember 11 any help or ideas?

ChiefUSMC
08-28-06, 06:40 PM
Keep doing what your doing, you should see results in a month. Most important it must be continuous. In my five years out here I have seen recruits go from 0 to 7 before bootcamp. It takes heart and lots of motivation. Do exactly what you did give yourself goals once you accomplish that goal, set another.. Good luck.

AThames
08-28-06, 10:07 PM
Man i went from 15 to 20 in boot. the best way to increase pull ups is to just do them. Pull yourself until you think you are about to literally die. Also getting quarterdecked probably didnt hurt me much either.

SgtGorman
09-10-06, 03:47 PM
well after pulling my head out of my *** i have been working as hard as i can on getting pull-ups, but i still can't seem to get them down (or up i guess). ive been going to the gym 6 days out of the week for 1.5-2 hours working on my entire body but mostly my upper body using:

Lat bar at 130 pounds (with supinated grip) --- 10 reps 4-5 sets
Lat bar at 105 pounds (with pronated grip) --- 10 reps 4-5 sets
Tricep press/Seated Dip at 105 --- 15 reps 4-5 sets
Arm Curl at 50 pounds --- 15 reps 4-5 sets
Low Row at 100 pounds --- 10 reps 4-5 sets
and a few others i might be forgetting...

I have also been doing push-ups and some negatives as much as i can and i use a bar about 3.5 feet off the ground and i put myself at an 45 degree angle (or so im guessing) and do 4 sets of 15 reps on that. (i read somewhere thats how people who can't do pull-ups start...not sure if it really works)

(not sure if it matters but im 6'1" at 200 pounds with 19% body fat)

i don't know what else i can do and im hoping to do 1 before setember 11 any help or ideas?

If you want to do something, then get out there and practice. I got 4 pull-ups before shipping, and I got 17 when I left boot camp. When I came to the fleet I got 12 pull-ups. My GySgt forced the whole platoon to do 2 max sets everyday...after four weeks for PFT... Most of us increased from 4 to 8 pull-ups.

The best bet that that you have to do pull up everyday, it doesn't matter how many you can do. As long as you try it.

Even though I am off active duty, but I am doing pull up everyday 'cause maybe I am leaving to OCS soon. THerefore, I need to train myself daily. You can download the work-out schedule that is designed for Marine Corps Officer Candidate's preparation at http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/New_Web_Format/Candidate_Information/WorkoutPlan_files/Male%20Workout.doc

Good Luck..

His_angel
09-10-06, 04:49 PM
Your first post was a thread started about failing the IST. Which you did have a 2nd post asking another question after the original one here.

I was wondering what happens if you fail a part of the IST. I have no problems with my run time or with my Sit Ups, but I have always had a problem with my upper body strength and I can barely do 1 pull up and im leaving for boot on Aug 14.

Ive been doing push-ups and going to the gym to work on my upper body, but im not feeling any improvment over the 2.5 weeks ive been working out at the gym and im concerned about what will happen if i fail.

Your 3rd post was "I LOST ALL MOTIVATION."

Well after a year or so of waiting for boot camp and being delayed and delayed again, I find out 2 days before I leave that I can't do two dead arm pull-ups, so I can't go. Ive lost all motivation. I feel like I have failed myself and the Corps and I don't know what I can do anymore.

{blah blah blah more blah blah blah ....}

I don't know whats left...I don't want my old life style of getting high and partying all the time with some low paying job getting no where in life, but at the same time i don't want to wait another 4 or 5 months to ship to boot camp again, I have waited too long to just wait and wait again

The *THIS* post. With 2 weeks left to go when you came back yet again. About the IST, PFT and pullups questions. TOMORROW is the 11th. As of the first post you'd already had a year? You should know each and every single friggin day how many pullups you can or can not do. Period. Because you should be trying every day. Did you put a pull up bar somewhere that you can practice each time you pass it? In a doorframe, between 2 tree's, or something free standing outside. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN DECIDE IF YOU CAN OR WILL OR WILL *NOT* DO THE PULLUPS. I bet the recruiters office has a pull up bar. Bet there are schools or public parks nearby with pullup bars or even monkey bars that you can try to do pullups with. I don't think I had ever done a single pullup before visiting the recruiter. I know I'd never done a flexed arm hang. I had about 2 months {give or take} to meet my minimums. We didn't have all the poolee meetings or even websites to visit and get info. I worked my @$$ off because I wanted it. I wanted it more than anything.

I figure either
A. You do NOT want it.
B. You do NOT want it enough.
C. You are here just yanking our chains, wasting the recruiters time, giving a half hearted effort while you figure out what you're really going to do.