View Full Version : Students plant tree for Marine

thedrifter
08-28-06, 10:08 AM
Posted on Mon, Aug. 28, 2006

Students plant tree for Marine
Fourth-graders honor pen pal Joseph Tomci
By Sandra M. Klepach
Beacon Journal staff writer

STOW - To most of the people who held umbrellas outside Fishcreek Elementary School on Sunday, Cpl. Joseph A. Tomci was merely a neighbor or acquaintance.

To Jason Tomci, 29, who let the cool rain run freely down his face, the late Marine was a brother.

But to the half dozen fourth-graders, who also stood in the rain while clasping flags, Tomci was a pen pal and a hero.

``He was my only hero,'' said Ben Koch, 8, dressed like the others in red, white and blue. ``He was fighting for us and fighting for our country. He always wanted to help people.''

Tomci, 21, was killed in a roadside bombing in Iraq on Aug. 2. The former Fishcreek Elementary student graduated from Stow-Munroe Falls High School in 2003. His funeral on Aug. 14 drew thousands.

Outside Tracy Piatt's classroom on Sunday, students solemnly tossed wet topsoil onto a newly planted white pine tree, donated by Amber Gardens in Stow and chosen by Tomci's environmental consultant father, John, to represent his late son's strength and caring.

Piatt encouraged students in her second-grade class to write to Tomci as a class project two years ago. Those students, now entering fourth grade, kept writing to him and sending him care packages until his death.

``This day, boys and girls, is to help us and to help the community,'' Piatt told the children.

Students also unveiled a stone memorial in the school garden, which is frequented by birds thanks to annual seed contributions from John Tomci. The memorial reads: ``Thank you for making the world a better place. We are so proud of you.''

``The kids can always come to see it,'' Piatt said. ``Joe will always be remembered.''

When school starts on Tuesday, the students' morning routine will be markedly different. For the past two years, Tomci's pen pals paused every morning to reflect on what he might be experiencing that day and chart his location on a map.

Zach Bindas, 9, even talked about Tomci at home, continuing to send letters during the summer ``because he was concerned that Joe wouldn't get any letters,'' said his mom, Karen. ``He may not have been Spider-man or Superman, but he was `their Joe.' ''

The feeling was mutual, said Tomci's brother.

``Occasionally when I'd get a letter, he'd joke and say, `I just got more stuff. All the other guys are jealous,' '' his brother said. ``They'd tease him, but he'd have none of it. He loved it.''

During his first tour of duty, Tomci came home briefly and visited his pen pals.

``I think it was really great that he helped people, and meeting him made me want to help people,'' said Jessica Guider, 9.

After the visit, sister and brother Lydia and Joseph Maser, both 8, contributed ``hand-held electronic games and peanuts'' to care packages, Lydia remembered with a smile.

In thanks, Tomci ``would talk to his dad on a bad phone, and his dad would come to us,'' she said.

The students' gifts motivated Tomci, said Susan Walker, John Tomci's fiancee.

``He'd say, `These second-graders, they're writing to me, sending me footballs and baseballs -- they care.' And, of course, he'd share,'' she said. ``The other Marines couldn't wait to get the mail from Fishcreek school.''

Tomci's second tour of duty was to end in two months. Jason Tomci said his brother had hoped to coach youth sports or become a drill sergeant ``to help raise the next Marines.''

Tomci's mother, Gayle Kramar Okonek, was in Bethesda, Md., on Sunday visiting Tomci's friend, Lance Cpl. Ryan Walblay, who was injured in the same roadside bombing this month.

Piatt said the students have already sent a package to Walblay.

``The kids want to do what they can. Their hearts are huge, and that doesn't end,'' Piatt said. ``They want to honor Joe. He really truly changed them. He'll be here forever.''

Donations to the Joseph A. Tomci Memorial Fund, established to aid families of fallen servicemen and women, can be made at any Huntington Bank branch.

Sandra M. Klepach can be reached at 330-996-3746 or sklepach@thebeaconjournal.com.

Ellie