PDA

View Full Version : Milford in mourning

thedrifter
08-28-06, 07:27 AM
Milford in mourning
Fallen Marine remembered for dedication, drive
FRANK JULIANO fjuliano@ctpost.com
Connecticut Post Online

MILFORD — The "forget-me-not" drive held by the local chapter of Disabled American Veterans on Sunday seemed particularly appropriate as the community struggled with the loss of one of its own in combat.

DAV members wore black armbands as a tribute to Marine Cpl. Jordan C. Pierson, 21, a 2003 graduate of Foran High School, who was killed by hostile gunfire Friday while on foot patrol in Fallujah, Iraq.

"This is somebody's child, and someone who grew up here,'' said Mary Beth Sistrunk as she accepted the paper flower for her donation. "It's very sad.''

Sistrunk was one of several people who specifically mentioned Pierson while making a donation, said Michael Coplan. Coplan and Lawrence Chadbourne took part in the long-planned drive at the Super Stop & Shop on Bridgeport Avenue.

"I was in Vietnam, and my father told me then as more people from our community are injured or killed, everyone will become more cognizant of the burden they carry. The difference between that war and this one is that these [troops] are volunteers.''

Pierson's parents, Eric and Beverley, and his 11-year-old brother, Ethan, remained in seclusion at their Whalley Avenue home. At their request, a city police cruiser was parked in front of their beige, vinyl-clad house with green shutters, and an officer shooed away the curious. Two SUVs were parked in the driveway.

The Milford man, who had put his plans to attend the University of Connecticut on hold to enlist, had talked about joining the Marines in high school, said Salvatore Follo Jr., the Foran High security director. "He was a good, respectful guy, and joining the Marines was his goal,'' Follo said. "I can't believe it. There are a couple of others who went through the Milford schools and are over in Iraq now.''

Kevin Leydon, commander of the American Legion Post here, said the Piersons live on the street behind his, above the city's Point Beach section. "He was a typical good young man,'' Leydon said. "He'd hang out with his friends at the Davenport Avenue Park and he'd always wave.''

Pierson said on his MySpace.com profile that he likes the music of Elton John, Hilary Duff and Britney Spears. He wrote "Marines 4 Life'' at the top of the page and listed his staff sergeant as a hero. "I think I'm cooler than you,'' the young Milford man wrote. "I'd like to meet cute girls.'' Mayor James L. Richetelli Jr. said the family met Sunday with U.S. Marine Corps representatives; funeral plans have not been finalized. "I anticipate that Jordan's body would be brought home to Milford, but I don't know that,'' the mayor said. Although he does not know the family, Richetelli said he joins them in their grief. "That Jordan was able to make the courageous decision to put off what others in his peer group were doing to volunteer to serve his country speaks volumes about his character.

"Most people won't have that kind of courage and conviction in their entire lives, and he had it at 19,'' the mayor said.

Joseph DellaMonica Jr., a police sergeant who chaired the city's 9-11 Memorial Commission, said Pierson was motivated by a love of his country to postpone college, enlist in the Marines and fight in Iraq.

"You want to make sure that you preserve what we hold closest in our hearts, so that our kids can go to school and outside to play without worrying about suicide bombers or car bombs,'' said DellaMonica.

"If you have to go somewhere else in the world so that the everyday frailty that exists in other countries doesn't come here, you go,'' said DellaMonica, who himself did a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Tim Chaucer, co-chairman of the local group Americans Concerned For Our Future, said he joins Pierson's family and friends in mourning the young man's death. Chaucer's group drew more than 75 people to the Green for a protest rally in March.

"We are losing too many brave young men and women in the war in Iraq, which purposes have shifted like the windblown sand in the faraway land and culture,'' Chaucer said Sunday. "I fear that the insurgency has more to do with the Iraqis' territorial instinct than with our well-intentioned experiment in democracy,'' the retired teacher said.

Frank Juliano, Milford bureau chief, can be reached at 878-2130.

Ellie