PDA

View Full Version : Janesville Soldier Returns To Heroes Welcome

thedrifter
08-28-06, 12:29 AM
Janesville Soldier Returns To Heroes Welcome

After four years in Iraq, Marine Lance Corporal Chad Spangler returned to Janesville Sunday night to a heroes welcome.

But the unexpected homecoming celebration caught him off guard.

"I'm still kind of speechless," said Spangler. "You know I haven't seen this many people in support of me in a long time."

Spangler's family brought him home in a limousine to a street lined with dozens of cheering family and friends.

"There are a few people here who don't know Chad and that just proves the support the military is getting," said Spangler's mother Christine Arneson.

"I'm amazed," said Arneson. "This is the American spirit."

"You don't really know until you come back how many people are gathered together and supporting you until you come back," said Spangler.

Spangler's last visit home was on less happy terms.

He had been injured by a roadside bomb and had earned a purple heart.

Yet, his family said the Marine Corps has changed him for the better.

"Matured an awful lot since he went into the Marines because that will make or break you," said grandmother Marilyn Arneson.

"This has turned him into a man," said Arneson. "He's thinking about his future and he definitely wants to go to college."

Spangler has one month of rest and relaxation at home before he has to rejoin Charlie Company.

He's expected to come home for good in November.

He also said after Iraq, he doesn?t count on anything.

"I don?t' really make plans anymore because every time I make plans it just doesn't work out," said Spangler.

Arneson is involved in the Military Moms group in Rock County.

Military Moms offers support to families with children overseas and helps honor American Troops.

Ellie