PDA

View Full Version : One-Third of China Hurt by Acid Rain

10thzodiac
08-27-06, 07:56 AM
Marines, I was unfortunate enough to be in Beijing the beginning of April. On my Chinese Air (Boeing) flight from Tokyo when landing in Beijing I looked out the window and I couldn't see anything till a few feet from touch down the smog was so bad. I had a cold then and developed sinusitis and I'm still not right, going to the VA for a sinus cat scan Tuesday and presently Rx 2xD for sinus pain.

The sun during the day if you could see it looked this weird rosy color. You couldn't take long shot pictures because of the haze. There is just as many cars as bicycles. Most of the bicycles are beat up pretty bad but there is an awful lot of brand new Lexus's, BMW's, Mercedes, Volkswagens and Camry's. No American cars that I could see, but you could buy all the US military paraphernalia (new) you wanted in kiosks in the market place, wannabe a US General, they had Stars too. Huge, I mean huge banks up and down the streets, along with huge restaurants everywhere.

I saw allot of Europeans, mainly German and British, I believe I was the only American. I was with a Japanese tour group. One morning a Brit in line with me for eggs for breakfast at our hotel was ready to knock this Chinaman on his ass who butted in front of us. He growled at him to get in line and the Chinese guy ignored him. I told the Brit, well it's his country, luckily the girl serving made sure we got our eggs before him, otherwise if I read this Brit right someone was going to get a knuckle sandwich for breakfast!

Enough of my bullsh*t, the story:

Sunday, August 27, 2006
BEIJING - One-third of China's vast landmass is suffering from acid rain caused by its rapid industrial growth, while local leaders are failing to enforce environmental standards for fear of hurting business, said officials quoted Sunday by state media.
China's factories spewed out 25.5 million tons of sulphur dioxide - the chemical that causes acid rain - last year, up 27 percent from 2000, said Sheng Huaren, deputy chairman of the Standing Committee of parliament.
Sheng released a report Saturday that found pollution from factories and power plants was rising by 9 percent a year - an embarrassment for a government that promised this year to clean up China's air. The report said sulphur dioxide emissions were double safe levels.
"Increased sulphur dioxide emissions meant that one-third of China's territory was affected by acid rain, posing a major threat to soil and food safety," Sheng said, according to the Xinhua News Agency and newspapers.
Environmental protection has become a prominent issue in China following a string of industrial accidents that poisoned major rivers, forcing several cities to shut down their water systems.
Chinese cities are among the world's smoggiest following two decades of breakneck economic growth. The government says all of China's major rivers are dangerously polluted. Millions of people lack access to clean drinking water.
On Sunday, local officials said a tanker carrying 25 tons of caustic soda had fallen Friday into the Xuefeng River in China's northwest, poisoning a drinking water source for 100,000 people.
One person was killed in the accident, Xinhua said. Officials said the water quality had returned to normal by Sunday after the government dumped 10 tons of hydrochloric acid into the water to neutralize the caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide.
Premier Wen Jiabao publicly criticized officials in April after the government revealed it failed to meet most of its targets over the past five years in environmental areas ranging from containing pollution to stopping the loss of farmland. Wen said officials would be held personally responsible for future environmental disasters.
The government pledged this year to cut air pollution emissions by 10 percent by 2010.
Beijing plans to spend $175 billion on environmental protection over the next five years, up 60 percent from the previous five years, according to Mao Rupai, chairman of the parliament's environmental committee.
Lawmakers are considering raising fines for environmental violators in order to encourage companies to spend more on clean technology, Mao said at a news conference on Saturday.
Mao complained that local officials fail to enforce standards for fear of hurting businesses. He said some areas comply with as few as 30 percent of environmental regulations.
"It is true that in some areas, local governments focus more on economic development than on the environment," he said. "In the future, officials will be judged not just by their economic growth but by environmental protection as well."

10thzodiac
08-27-06, 05:50 PM
Oh, guys I almost forgot the most important part. I couldn't get over how beautiful those young Chinese girls were. At a restaurant there was this real cutie (waitress, late teens) that was helping me retrieve my dinner with chop sticks off this huge spinning glass lazy suzann in the middle of our table that sits ten diners. If that wasn't bad enough they had another cutie (late teens) assisting her partner selling purses and stuff to the Japanese women at my table. This girl was distracted and mesmerized watching a amamie of some romantic western melodiy song on the TV above me to my rear and dreamily singing along with it as her partner was doing the merchandising. At first I thought, is she singing to me but she was looking up, darn.

Heres the rub, my wife is getting p*ssed at me and I did not know it... admiring the cutie thats mesmerized and me having a good time with my waitress, so when I unsuccessfully tried to tip the waitress (I won't tell you what my wife did, it was bad). She was so mad I thought she was going to walk home from China...

Guys, forget about how you thought Chinese girls looked, these young Chinese girls looked like beautiful Native American Indian girls, regular princesses to die for.

Who said, make love not war? He's got my vote!