View Full Version : Back Home Again

thedrifter
08-27-06, 07:51 AM
Article published Aug 27, 2006
BACK HOME AGAIN
Marine returns home after tour of duty in Iraq
By KIMBERLY DICK
Advocate Reporter

NEWARK -- As a blue Camaro with "Welcome home Lance Cpl. Justin DeVoll" written on it drove down an American flag-lined Londondale Drive, some people cheered, while tears filled the eyes of others.

More than 25 of Justin's friends and family members, including his 8-year-old son and 11-month-old daughter, stood on Londondale Drive awaiting his arrival Saturday afternoon.

Justin held his daughter, Nevaeh, as family members took turns hugging him. He then grabbed his son, Austin, who is nearly as tall as he is, and picked him up in the air.

Justin, 25, returned to California Aug. 18 after nine months in Iraq. He is spending his 30-day leave with his wife and two children in Newark.

"Makes you tear up, doesn't it?" Justin's father-in-law, John Shumate said. "To finally see him makes it so real."

Shumate said not knowing if Justin was safe or not is the most difficult aspect of having him overseas.

His mother, Sharon DeVoll, said she felt relieved last week when she found out he was in the country.

"It's hard to be a Marine," she said. "But it's hard to be a Marine's mother, too."

Justin left for Iraq in January with his unit, and he most likely will return anywhere from seven months to a year from now.

"It feels real good to be home," Justin said. "I missed fresh air, the green trees and, most of all, my boy."

Justin said he plans to spoil his son while he is home. Justin spent little time with his daughter before he left for Iraq, and he had a hard time putting her down Saturday.

Justin said getting shot at was the scariest part of being in Iraq, but he spent time trying to have fun with other Ohio Marines.

He said having to help his good friend who died in Iraq was a life-changing experience.

Justin told his mother on Mother's Day 2005 he had joined the armed forces.

"I didn't want him to go to the Marines," she said. "I tried to talk him into going into the Navy."

Justin said he joined to try to make a difference in his family's lives and to serve his country.

John DeVoll said his brother always wanted to be a Marine, and he has the personality and discipline for it.

"He ranked up because he's strict," John said. "That's why he became a lance corporal so quickly."

Rachel DeVoll said having her husband home is a miracle.

"I'm overwhelmed. I'm speechless," she said. "I'm very proud of him. He's the best husband anyone can ask for. I'm a lucky woman."

Ellie