PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question

TheBandit
08-26-06, 10:19 PM
I have a question about getting married before boot camp and housing allowances. My girlfriend and I set our date, which happens to be on our anniversary, about a week before I leave. I am taking a fairly large pay cut and I am worried how she is going to get by. My recruiter informed me that she is entitled to nothing while I am gone and that I should wait to get married after I graduate. We have two children to support, they are not technically mine but became mine over time. I did some research and found out that she and the boys CAN get support from the day I start boot. I am not sure whether to believe it or not because it was mainly an article I read this in. I don't know if I should talk to the recruiter about it cuz I don't want him to bs me as it appears that he already has. I would appreciate any info I can get from you guys on this subject.

Marine84
08-26-06, 10:47 PM
Oh God! Not another one..................

I got the popcorn again ya'll......................

WJason777
08-26-06, 11:09 PM
Oh God! Not another one..................

I got the popcorn again ya'll......................

ha ha ha

ChiefUSMC
08-27-06, 12:13 AM
I just wanted to get you this answer if no one has already. If you get married and you have a family of 3 you will be alright. If you have 4 dep. then you will be disquailfied permanetly from the Marine Corps. so you might want to wait till you get out of bootcamp.

TheBandit
08-27-06, 09:28 AM
Thanks alot, exactly the info I needed.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-06, 01:27 PM
If your recruiter told you that they will not receive anything while you're in boot camp, you can believe him. I don't know all the rules, but I do know that I never heard of anyone getting anything for their dependents until they were out of boot camp. You have to make a decision, and it may not be easy. But, if you enlist there will be times that things aren't easy, this appears to be one of those times.

iamcloudlander
08-28-06, 04:17 PM
TheBandit
I think that before you do get married with the intentions of joining the Marine Corps my advice to you would be to take a trip to a base (any military that has dependent housing) and talk to the junior enlisted men and their wives. You will then be able to make a more enlightened decision about marriage and the military. Your future wife could talk to the other wives and get the straight scoop on what being a military wife entails.
I do know that the military--when it comes to married personnel--treat them the same as the single men. Any orders that are given ie:Permanent Change of Station,school tad's or oversea assignments do not take into account dependents,that is up to the individual to make any arrangements for the dependents.
When they called up the reserves in my area the people around here all pitched in to help the dependents of these men and women. They received almost no help from the military (all branches).
The Marine Corps theory as to married dependents is
"If we had wanted you to have a wife (husband) we would have issued you one"'
As this is a very serious decision make it wisely.