PDA

View Full Version : 0200 Intel

dodint
08-26-06, 02:05 PM
I still haven't been able to get my job locked up. In the meantime, however, I've been offered Intelligence. I've been told that I should take it as a compliment and should heavily consider the opportunity. Apparently if I do well in it in the USMC when I seperate I can have a lucritive career in the private or government sector. My recruiter also said it'd be really easy to finish my 4-year degree with an Intel MOS.

All that sounds well and good, but one thing I really wanted to do in the USMC is work in a physical enviroment where I can directly see the results of my work. To me, Intel seems like I'd be signing myself up to pilot a desk for the rest of my career.

Does anyone know anything about Intel that I can't learn on <a href="http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/02.htm">About.com</a> that could help me with this decision?

My actual job choices were Aviation Operations (trying to get into Weather), Media, and Enlisted Flight Crew in that order.

dscusmc
08-26-06, 02:46 PM
The intel MOS is wide-open - it all depends on what unit you go to. If you go to a battalion S-2, then you'll be in a physical environment. You could go to a Scout/Sniper platoon also.

If you stick around past 4-years, you could go counter-intel or head out to a Human Exploitation Team (HET). If you saw the Washington Post the other day, a Marine Sergeant said that actions of the Marines in Haditha were appropriate.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/23/AR2006082301829.html?nav=rss_world

The Sgt. was a part of the HET that responded immediately after the incident.

Intel is a great MOS because there lots of opportunities for a junior Marine to excel at any level from a ground unit to a joint command. If you show initiative, you can do just about anything you want and deploy with just about anybody you want in intel - including weather, going to a MEU, or getting on a flight crew if you go to a squadron.

If you're stuck at a desk in intel, its either by choice or its your own fault. A motivated young Marine that takes initiative can have any kind of intel career that he or she wants. S/F - LT C.

dodint
08-26-06, 03:03 PM
What an outstanding reply, thank you. When I told my recruiter I wasn't interested because I didnt want a desk job, I saw him speechless for the first time. By the fact that he couldn't even think of a scenario where I couldn't possibly be outside of an office was a real let down for me. The only thing he could come up with is if I went and did something with language, and that doesn't interest me much.

Do you know anything about debt/income ratios and security clearances? I've always paid my bills on time but I do have a good bit of up to date debt to my name. Two cars and a personal loan, mostly. My recruiter says it doesn't matter but I have a hard time believing that.

I will say that one huge draw of the Intel field is that it would allow me to volunteer for Category B MOS's later on in my career.

Thanks again for the great reply. If anyone feels like adding to it I'd love some more advice.

JWG
08-26-06, 03:13 PM
Although I'm not a Marine, I'd like to throw in my two cents, if you don't mind, Brother.

When I read, "I want to see my work take affect directly," etc.. etc.. I saw myself, because I said the same thing when I was Gung-Ho on the 03xx (Infantry) MOS.

After a while, and more and more advice I grew from here at Leatherneck (THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE!) , I realized ALL jobs in the Marine Corps are important, and that everyone is a Marine first, no matter the secondary title, your MOS.

Especially in Intel, I can see alot of great help for the Corps. As 02xx (Intelligence) , you are the one helping gather the needed Intel to supply all the other divisions of the Marine Corps properly plan their actions, and SAVE LIVES with good Intel.

Take any MOS away, and many times, it greatly affects the Marine Corps, making it weaker. All MOS's are honorable, in my humble opinion.

Do what you'll enjoy and be best at, which in turn, is best for the Marine Corps.

Good luck in your decision, Brother!

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

dscusmc
08-26-06, 03:31 PM
Debt and security clearances - I did tons of work with security clearances when I was in the Reserves. Usually 0231's don't do anything with clearances unless they are in a Reserve unit. I currently clerk for a law firm. We handle security clearance reinstatements all the time. In fact, I've spent all afternoon working on security clearance revocations.

Typically, security clearances are denied or revoked for either financial or sexual misconduct. Of course, criminal conduct can result in a revocation also. In terms of debt/income ratio, there isn't a brightline or magic number. The adjudicators are primarily concerned with your susceptibility to blackmail - or a pattern of misconduct that shows you are not responsible enough to handle sensitive information.

Car loans and a personal loan likely won't matter. Unless the personal loan was to pay off a gambling debt or something like that. If you've paid your bills on time, you have nothing to worry about. They will do a credit check and you don't want a pattern of late payments appearing on the credit report.

I wouldn't worry about normal debt (car loans, mortgages, student loans, etc.) Even a personal loan shouldn't be a big deal - unless its for an outragous amount. The key is that you've paid the bills on time.

A number of the cases we handle involve service-members going through a divorce, the ex-spouse stops paying the bills, and next thing they know they are trying to deal with derogatory credit reports on their periodic reinvestigations.

Again...the key to the intel field, or at least the 0231 MOS, is initiative. You can do alot of things with initiative. I knew a number of Marines that went to a Joint Task Force searching for MIA's in Southeast Asia. 0231's can have opportunities to go to Jump, Dive, and SERE school. Its all up to you. - LT C.