PDA

View Full Version : Media Still Doesn't Understand Recruiting...or Do They?

thedrifter
08-24-06, 03:22 PM
Media Still Doesn't Understand Recruiting...or Do They? <br />
Posted By Blackfive <br />
<br />
Look, I'm getting really tired of this crap about recruiting. According to a friend in the Marines, it was easier for...

thedrifter
08-24-06, 03:24 PM
Yellow Journalism Makes a Comeback
By John

In a time where recruiting goals are consistently being met and exceeded, the mainstream media is trying to convince you that we're on the doorstep -the back doorstep- of a Vietnam style draft.

LA Times:
For much of the conflict, the Army also has had to use "stop-loss orders" — which keep soldiers in their units even after their active-duty commitments are complete — as well as involuntary call-ups of its reservists. Both actions have been criticized as a "back-door draft" and are unpopular with service members, many of whom say they have already done their part.

I am dying to understand this "involuntary" call-up phrase reporters keep using. Is this their way of rephrasing the word "orders?" There is no such thing as an "involuntary" call up. Military members already volunteered at the onset of their 4 year active duty + 4 year inactive ready reserve committment. Calling up reserves is not even in the same ballpark as widespread conscription, but that's the spin papers like the Times is throwing at their readership.

An involuntary call up has existed in the past, it's called the draft. The draft where you conscript citizens into military service without them having volunteered, hence the term involuntary.

Nor is there such thing as a backdoor draft. Reservists are recalled during wartime, plain and simple. This has happened during every major war in American history, from the New England minutemen to the national guard of today. To spin that as a draft is inaccurate and wrong, end of story.

Backdoor draft talk is one of the clearest cut examples of dishonest, ideologically driven reporting that you can find in journalism today. It's sensationalist garbage, and belongs on the tabloid pages in the supermarket checkout, not on the front pages of major newspapers.

Ellie

Osotogary
08-24-06, 04:11 PM
When I was growing up Backdoor Draft referred to someone who needed to hitch up their pants from falling down. And that, by the way, was an honest assessment.