PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Assignments ?

vance
01-09-03, 11:19 AM
What has been your best overseas assignments ?

Embassy duty in the Middle East all of those years ago was outstanding .
Okinawa was good duty if busy as we trained to go to Vietnam .
The Nam- can't say it was the best duty I ever had but I was in my MOS.

leroy8541
01-09-03, 07:44 PM
barracks duty at subic bay was heaven on earth
foxhole duty in the persian gulf was hell on earth
6 months on the rock somewhere in between

Art Petersn
01-09-03, 09:34 PM
No duty station can comepare to any of th Fuji camps in Japan in the 50's
Every day you looked up at the mountain and couldn't believe how beautiful it was. A weekend off base cost you 5 dollars. You grew up fast in the big J.

vance
01-09-03, 09:53 PM
That is the truth , one sees some unforgettable country on our tours in the Marine Corps. What an educational experience . The good and the bad .

FREDDY
01-09-03, 10:51 PM
panama was good duty training eating and drinking!!

firstsgtmike
01-10-03, 03:12 AM
Vance,

Don't forget the ugly.
------------------------------

My time was Okinawa 60-64. WWII made it, and Vietnam spoiled it. But in between, it was Paradise.

Oddly enough, my 2nd time is here and now. And I honestly can't say if I'd trade one for the other.

I refuse to even consider it, I have too much respect, and love, for my Okinawan honey of 22 years.

But I have the feeling, when I consider my niece and four sons, that Okinawa will come up a little short.

Barrio_rat
01-10-03, 03:35 AM
I was one of the few that actually ENJOYED Okinawa. 'Course there were the usual hang-outs Chau Pak Ave (aka BC Street), Whisper Alley (don't even say ya don't remember!). Gate 2 had great shopping - still have my stone wear and set of china. Still have my stereos and camera I bought there on the yearly spring sale - prices couldn't be beat!

Went on Dets to the PI - always a good time there! No details as, what happens in the PI stays in the PI! LOL

Was on two LHA's. Ship board life kinda sucked but we hit some good ports. Hong Kong, Korea, Australia (PI again). 2nd time I was on ship we only got the PI and then the Persian Gulf. Though, we ported in the UAE and I got a good deal on the wedding bands for the woman I planned to marry at the time - believe it or not, she's still with me today!

If I coulda been guaranteed overseas duty for the rest of my tour, I probably would have re-enlisted (or at least thought harder on it). I just didn't care for NC or SoCal. And that's kinda limiting when yer in the USMC!

Earle Comstock
01-10-03, 04:29 AM
Me on the other hand , I didn't care much for the two West Pacs I went on . I made it to the Phillipines , Guam , Hong-Kong , Singapore , Tinia , Australia , New Zealand , Okinawa , Tasmania , Fiji , New Caledonia , crossed the International Date line and Equator at the same time ,am a golden shellback . I hated ship life , disliked it so much , I had enough time left in Corp to do a 3rd West Pac . I extended my tour of duty 10 months and 16 days to get out of that 3rd float . I've been alot of places in my life , but nothing beats the good old USA . The places I went to when I was a kid , I don't really remember them as I should because of the influence of alcohol . I wish I could do them all over again , only this time sober . Lifes too short , I wasted 13 years to booze . The only thing I can recomend for those of you that are still young enough is to take a break for a few days from alcohol , then go enjoy your life . I know you don't all drink , but for you that do and have any sense , you may give a listen to what I'm saying . You may not thank me now , but you'll damn sure thank me later . I'm not telling you to quit , I'm just saying you should take a break . For some of you , you may never get to do this again . And take pictures , you'll appreciate them when you get older . Ok , Ok , I'm done rambling .
Semper Fi Marines
Cpl Commie:rambo: Kill A Commie For Mommy :rambo:
Be Good To Yourself And Respect Your Elders :cool:

leroy8541
01-11-03, 08:25 AM
Earle you have a point there, I was looking thru all my pictures of my time in the P.I. In everyone of them I am holding a bottle of Red Horse in one hand and a Ago-Ago in the other I wasted alot of time in the bars of Olongopo and Subic City when I should have been out enjoying the beautiful sites and rich history of the Phillipines, but I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything in the world.

Lock-n-Load
01-11-03, 09:16 AM
I owe every success in my lifetime to being a combat Marine Tanker...when the shooting finally stopped...I viewed everyone by Marine Corps standards...it failed in civilian life...cheap-sh1t civilians are just that...best times in the Corps for me was my combat tour and my 2nd tour in Korea...then, I saw what havoc was done to the poor people of South Korea...sure I survived the carnage...but they had to live it amongst squalor, starvation and pestilence...I was leaving sooner or later and going home to the Big PX that never realized what war creates in it's wake...I forgot what was going on in Korea, but I'm haunted to this day for all those decades of war/restoration for a dauntless population that made it back...thanks in large part of USA aid and comfort...now they want us out of Korea[ the youngsters]....much like our immature/spoiled kids in USA...so be it...yes, I saw the Far East in the wartime early 1950s; however, blessed with two [2] R&Rs in Kyoto, Japan eased my WW2 resentment of the Japanese quite abit...rabid enemies; now, close Allies...for all the doomsdays [a multitude] I spent in Korea...my respite in occupied Japan was my reward as a combat Marine...I would make a pact with the devil immediately; in order, to be in Kyoto [1954] again and again...lest I forget...a 'Nam Marine who lived amongst the Japanese in the 1990s told me ..my 1954 Kyoto is ..."Gone With The Wind"...it's a new Japan now...change...is the mother of all men...I loved my 4 years in the Fleet Marine Force [WAR and peace]...I was at my zenith then..in love with the...United States Marine Corps...it will sustain me and my aims until heaven beckons.....no more regrets...hell no!! Gung-Ho and Semper Fidelis SSGT CHRIS SARNO-USMC FMF:marine:

hack4398
01-13-03, 01:34 PM
:marine: PI, nuff said

:banana: Thailand-not as great as PI, but pretty close

:yes: Okinawa, love to dive. This place is great, cold cheap beer, and great dive spots.

Lock-n-Load
01-13-03, 04:59 PM
:marine: Need some intel about Thailand....hoping to travel there in June...is it HOT and HUMID all year long with incessant thunderstorms???...any cabarets/action...at nite in Bangkok...like clubs that welcome GIs on R&R??...thanks, Marine.:marine:

firstsgtmike
01-13-03, 11:43 PM
The only thing I can tell ya is that I have a Brit friend, married a Filipina in Thailand, and they now live here in Cagayan de Oro.

If he was into e-mail I'd pass his address on to you, but he's not.

Lock-n-Load
01-14-03, 06:29 AM
:marine:Thanks Top....any info is appreciated but future international travel all hinges on the length of this Iraqi war [if/when] it breaks out...thanks again, Top. Semper Fidelis :marine:

hack4398
01-14-03, 08:10 AM
Thialand is hot and humid.

Bankok is EXTREMELY WILD. I did not go to Bankok, but several people went and they came with sunken in eyes and they were exhausted from lack of sleep.:lick:

Lock-n-Load
01-14-03, 10:07 AM
:marine: Hack....You just sold me...I heard the same report from foreign business people, but coming from a Marine, has sealed my fate...Thailand is just about surrounded by Muslim nations; however, has friendly ties to the USA and no terrorist "bombings" so far...the only bump left now is to get clearance from the US Defense Dept to travel there...hell by June...[we] should be "up and running a new regime" in Iraq more friendly to USA-Great Britain-Germany-Japan...will let you know when my travel is A-OK to shove off for Mandalay. Semper Fi, Hack:marine:

firstsgtmike
01-14-03, 11:40 AM
Lock-n-Load,

Active duty withstanding, unless you are restricted by a security clearance, you don't need State Dept's permission to travel.

As a word of caution, I suggest you check out Bankok's HIV rate. I'd be more concerned about that, then I would be about terrorist bombings.

BADAMS
01-14-03, 11:43 AM
Stopped in Phuket island for a few days liberty on the way back from the Persian Gulf(1989). Coconut milk, great fresh seafood, topless beach, wonderful weather(Jan-Feb)and fantastic women.
I plan on going back when I get a chance. I would highly recommend a trip there once at least.

Lock-n-Load
01-14-03, 12:02 PM
:marine: Thx for intel...I appreciate it...I have a classified clearance level but with War [??] and terrorist bombings in Phillipines and Indonesia...my monthly Dept of Defense updates could put an abrupt halt to any destination in South East Asia as a tourist...coupled with a 4-6 week wait to garner a passport, etc...as for companionship...my fiancee [and himself]...do not fear HIV infections but then again...firstsgtmike...forewarned is forearmed...world politics now impede civilian international travel more than ever before...throw an intel/grenade at me anytime...pin in it, of course!! Semper Fi:marine: PS...How does a 30 day stay at the JW Marriott [Bangkok] sound for R&R ???:marine:

HOEFTRD
01-14-03, 01:22 PM
:marine: IWAKUNI-
BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE MARINES, NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT UNTIL I GOT ORDERS THERE. ITS ON THE MAINLAND, WHERE A 7 HOUR TRAIN RIDE PUTS YOU IN TOKYO...THE PARTY SPOTS THERE ARE UNBELIEVABLE(ROPPUNGI) 1 HOUR TO HIROSHIMA..A LOT OF HISTORY AND MOST OF THEM HAVE GOTTEN OVER THE BIG BOOM. SINGAPORE WAS GREAT, NICE AND CLEAN WITH A LOT OF DIFFERENT CULTURES ALL PUSHED TOGETHER BUT KEPT SEPERATE. KOREA HAS ITS ADVANTAGES, A LOT OF RICH HISTORY THERE TOO, THERE'S A LOT OF THINGS I LEARNED BY GOING TO THESE PLACES THAT I NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN FALTHOMED... BEEN TO OKINAWA A COUPLE TIMES (AWAITING TRANSPORTATION FOR ENDURING FREEDOM) IN MY COMBINED TIME OF 2 WEEKS ON THE ROCK I NOTICED IT IS AMERICANIZED BUT IT DOES HAVE SOME GREAT DIVE SPOTS. DIEGO GARCIA WAS AWSOME TO SAY THE LEAST, AGAIN IT WAS A PLACE I NEVER HEARD OF UNTIL I GOT ORDERS(OEF) BUT I THINK THE BEST THING ABOUT AN OVERSEAS TOUR IS THE TIGHTNESS OF THE MARINES IN A UNIT, (ESPECIALLY THE EAF/RECOVERY SHOP IN 'KUNI 2000-2002) SOMETHING THATS NOT QUITE THE SAME IN THE STATES. OVER THERE THEY ARE THE ONLY FAMILY YOU HAVE.

I CANT WAIT TO START TRAVELING AGAIN...MAYBE TRY EUROPE'S SIDE...SEMPER,
DH

Lock-n-Load
01-14-03, 01:49 PM
:marine:Great Post, Marine.....you certainly know how to enjoy R&Rs and Posts of the Corps...one has to possess a keen interest of the locale, and it's inhabitants...to get all the pleasure of the spice and creature comforts at hand...guys who never went on R&R missed the show/boat...parochialism is narrow; while, enlightenment is Shangri-La...USMC was slow to give R&R in 1953 but all of those who refined...the art...over the decades,now,reap the joys of a lifetime and the redundant sweet/memories of the magic of youth...as a resourceful US Marine in the Orient, plus the buying power of good olde Yankee dollars..Kampai !! :marine:

firstsgtmike
01-14-03, 02:21 PM
Lock-n-Load,

Never been to Bangkok, so I can't help you there.

I live in the Philippines.

I'm an RAO satellite, and an Embassy Warden for Northern Mindanao.

Whoopee!

I receive the State Dept's warnings, etc. They are strictly cover your ass.

If you get hit by a falling piece of debris from a disintegrating satellite, it's YOUR fault. They issued a travel warning and you chose to ignore it.

Never been there, but I think, as a tourist, in and out, Thailand is better than P.I.

For living, I only have my Brit friend's opinion. He's here. So are we.

If I EVER receive a bulletin from the Embassy covering evacuation plans, I may be forced to reevaluate the situation here. However, I still think my response woud be DNA (Does Not Apply).

Thirty days at a Marriott? Sorry, I would stay three or four days and I guarantee I could find a better and cheaper place anyplace in the world.

It's you rich foreigners who make it tough on the rest of us. You pay 100P for a 5P jitney ride, and they expect the same thing from ME.

Lock-n-Load
01-14-03, 04:15 PM
:marine: Thx again, Marine...I am not a lover of hot and humid weather, but I will adjust to the prevailing weather nonetheless...as for JW Marriott [Bangkok]..I have and extended stay/reduced price which I can handle; plus, American Airlines/Marriott Rewards for added air miles...the RT flight will total over 22,000+ miles...I just want to go to an Asian country that is "friendly"to USA tourists...so far, Bangkok is penciled in...like I stated, alot of outside factors will dictate...we live differently now in the USA since 11Sept01...not as rigid or stringent after Pearl Harbor was bombed ...but different by modern standards...can't fight it; instead, deal with it...stay cool where you are with those tropical palm/trees. Gung-Ho :marine:

jbavol
01-15-03, 02:20 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii, which almost counts as overseas, it was beautiful. Also went to Desert Storm on the Tarawa, ship life was Ok, I was a radio man and actually had a job on the ship so it wasn't so boring, plus I had an early chow and midrats pass which made life great. PI was the best, if least remembered. Was there for New Years. Also went to the UAE, and the shopping and culture was great. We actually found some cat houses which after so much time on ship was quite a relief. The UAE has beautiful beaches which rival those here in Florida and the stay was relaxing. But PI was the best for a young Marine with plenty of money. We left just before the volcano blew in '91.