PDA

View Full Version : any docs out there who are Marines?

Speedbird
08-24-06, 01:03 AM
Hello, I was wondering if any of you happen to be a Marine (or know of a Marine) who have taken the journey through medical school and medical residency. I'm 24 right now, in my third year of med school, and have longed to be in the Marines for quite some time now. My reasons for wanting to join the Corps is pretty typical of what most other people would say, but discipline, opportunity to be part of a brotherhood, and to be able to say I've done at least something right in my life that I can be proud of, were major motivating factors. I have considered joining the Marine reserves and was hoping to integrate both medicine and Marine Corps into my life. Some would say, why not the Health Professions Scholarship program offered by the Navy? The issue here is that I want be a MARINE, not a Navy officer.

So my question is: How feasible would it be to do medical residency while being enlisted as a reserve Marine? Residency is a busy busy time, and I was hoping if any Marines who's taken the path to become a doctor can shed some light on this. Most would first become a Marine and later on decide to become a doctor, but I think I found myself doing sort of the opposite.

Thanks,
Henry

Marine0313
08-24-06, 08:09 AM
There is a MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT in Wichita Ks that has graduated from medical school in the last year and works here in family practice after he retired.

Dr ZIMMERMAN Arkansas City Ks also a Marine and has his on clinic