PDA

View Full Version : Picking Your Job.

WJason777
08-23-06, 10:29 AM
I took the ASVAB about 2 months ago, I ge sworn in Sept 25. I passad all the test at MEPS i just couldnt get sworn in because of the pills that i was taking, I was wondering how come my recurtier want let me see the jobs that i quafily for befor i get sworn in. Is this normal? Do you have to get sworn in befor you can pick your job? He wont even tell me my scores. SHould i continue to wait to get sworn in befor picking my job?

Marine84
08-23-06, 11:32 AM
First off, you don't get to "pick" squat - you can pick a field but the Corps picks your job for you.

Why couldn't you be sworn in because you were taking pills? What kind of pills? Maybe you're not getting any info because he thinks you're a waste of time at this point?

We need a little more info - you're not telling something...............

WJason777
08-23-06, 11:38 AM
i was taking the acne med called accutaine, meps told me i had to wait 60 dys after i am done with those pills. and they gave me sept 25 date to get sworn in.

Marine84
08-23-06, 01:48 PM
did you not tell them that you were taking it before you went?

WJason777
08-23-06, 02:29 PM
yeah i told that i was taking it.

Marine84
08-23-06, 08:29 PM
Then why are you having to wait because of a drug for acne?

WJason777
08-23-06, 09:14 PM
Because something about the Military policy

Marine84
08-24-06, 07:34 AM
OK...............who knows?

LNDSRK
08-27-06, 06:45 PM
Having been on Accutane I can attest that it is a pretty serious med. It requires blood work to be done every month. You also must limit your time to sun exposure. Your joints dry out, along with your skin. I would imagine that the Recruiter knew nothing of the effects of this drug, nor should he be expected to. That is why we go through a medical screening at MEPS.

As for your question. You have to remember that the availability of an an occupational field varies. What is there today may not be tomorrow. The Recruiter more than likely couldn't give you an answer until you got a clean bill of health from MEPS.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-06, 08:48 PM
Until you've completed all of the MEPS process he cannot tell for sure what you qualify for. You could be disqualified from a job for any number of reasons, so he is waiting to see what you're qualified to do.

I would expect he would allow you to see your score if you asked in the proper way when he happened to have time to deal with something like that. His main priority is reaching potential recruits, not responding to the demands of someone that has already decided to enlist.

WJason777
08-27-06, 10:49 PM
I understand now, but i been off the med for alomost one and a half months now so i am just waiting for Sept 25 to go back down to meps.

LNDSRK i did not know it cant dry your joints out, i lift weights alot so i guess there is one more reason for me not be on the med now more.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-06, 10:51 PM
The stuff is pretty harsh. Your doc should have let you know all of the problems it can cause before it was given to you.

WJason777
08-27-06, 11:24 PM
yeah that another thing, he didnt told me nothing, he was just like i want you to take these pills for a couple of months and you will be fine. I did do a blood test once. but i was on the med befor about a year ago.

WJason777
08-27-06, 11:28 PM
One more other thing i talked to a army recruiter and she said she can get my ASVAB scores without a problem, I will just have to fill out a W 60 Fourm or something like that. So later on today i will have my line scores. Also if i post them could you guys help me figure what i qualify for?

WJason777
08-31-06, 10:34 PM
I talked with the army recruiter and she said she couldnt get my line scores but she has a list of jobs that she know i quaifly for with a score of 35 and there are
11X1 Infantry Recruit
12B1 Combat Engineer
12C1 Bridge Crewmember
14M1 Manpads Crmbr
14S1 Avenger Crewmember
19D1 Cavalry Scout
19K1 M1 Armor Crewman
31L1 Cable Sys Inst Mnt
43M1 Fabric Rep Sp
44B1 Metal wORKER
45B1 Small Arms Rep
51B1 Carpentry/Mason Ry Sp
51K1 Plumber
51M1 Firefighter
57E1 Laundry/Bath Sp
62B1 Const Eq Rep
62E1 Heavy Const Eq Op
62F1 Crane Operator
62H1 Concrete/ Asphal T Eq Op
62J1 Gen Const Eq Op
63B1 Lt Wheel Vehicle Mech
63H1 track Vehicle Rep
63J1 QM And Chem Eq Rep
63W1 Wheel Veh Rep
74C1 Telecom Opr-Mnt
77F1 Petroleum Supply Sp
77W1 Water Treatment Sp
81L1 Lithographer
88M1 Motor Transporttation Op
92G1 Food Service Ops
92M1 Mortuary Affairs Sp
92R1 Parachute Rigger

My question is, by me quaifling for theses jobs for the army would the US Marines offer me the same or even more?

onedash
09-21-06, 06:59 PM
What do you want to do? If you have certain waivers that will eliminate some right off the bat.

WJason777
09-21-06, 09:53 PM
What i really would like to do is work in the the 40xx field but i read on a web site that you have to have a GT score of 110 or higher, my GT score is 95. I am very good in computers tho, and would like to learn more about them. Thats how i know for sure this job is for me.

Marine0313
09-22-06, 05:42 PM
just send me a message with your name and when and where you took the asvab i can get your scores for you

oohrah:thumbup:

cplbrooks
09-22-06, 06:52 PM
I was prescribed accutaine by the Docs at the Naval hospital at Camp Lejeune. It worked great. They need you to be off of the meds for 60 days because they need accurate blood work and the meds screw...

WJason777
09-22-06, 10:50 PM
So what you are saying is, i dont have to wait to get sworn in to sign a contract saying what MOS Field i want? Because heres what the recruiter told me. He said the reason why i have to wait until i...

cplbrooks
09-23-06, 08:26 AM
i signed my contract at MEPS or just prior to it. My recruiter had it all written up so that while i was at MEPS and just after passing the physical i could swear in to the DEP with my contract guaranteeing what i wanted. If your GT score is low you may be limited with the computer field. Ask your recruiter what fields you qualify for (Not what is available, but what you qualify for.)

Marine0313
09-23-06, 09:49 AM
First you have got to be Qualified through Meps before you can sign a contract. This includes Mental IE the ASVAB and have to pass the Medical at this point he is Temporarily DQ for Accutane not a big deal just wait the time and go back and you can finish the process. They will not give someone that is not passed both medical and Asvab a job. And the new FISICAL YEAR JOBS ARE OUT AND HAVE BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE thats how we enlist the seniors in high school that go to recruit training next fiscal year

2nd Cpl Brooks your right the recruiter is trying to make fiscal year mission thats his job this young man will not help in doing that because he has to wait to enlist because of the accutane so this recruiter has to find someone else I will assist this young man in finding what he is qualified for so when he does enlist he will know what is open and what he can do with his score

"MY MISSION TODAY IS TO SEEK OUT AND FIND YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN OF THE HIGHEST MORAL,PHYSICAL,AND MENTAL QUALIFICATIONS . ONCE FOUND, I MUST CREATE A LASTING,BURNING DESIRE TO SECURE OUR COUNTRY AS A UNITED STATES MARINE. IN THIS WAY, MY COUNTRY AND CORPS WILL BE SECURE . TOMORROW I WILL CARRY MY RIFLE AGAIN."

THIS IS HANGING IN RECRUITERS SCHOOL :thumbup:

WJason777
09-23-06, 02:45 PM
So what your saying is, right when i go down to meps again there going to check me and make sure i am good to go, then i will sitt down with someone for the Marines and find out what fields i qualify for, then i will be sworn in?

Marine0313
09-23-06, 03:11 PM
In the Marines remember you pick the program i sent you those programs there is specific job fields under each one i hope this helps you good luck in whatever you decide

WJason777
10-03-06, 07:30 PM
Well today i was sworn in at meps with no problem. But when i got back to the recruiting station to pick my job, the recruter told me to pick 3 jobs and the first one i pick will be the one i get. Well i pick 06xx 11xx 30xx. He also said that i shouldnt in a rush to pick my job because i am not shipping out untill January so he didn't put the jobs in my contract he just told me to wait a few days just in case i change my mind or something. I dont know how the Marines work but i feel like something is not right. I think hes trying to pull one over me or something.

WJason777
10-03-06, 08:07 PM
I just dont want to be doing a job that i dont like for the next 4 years. I feel as like the recruter is trying to f**k me over somehow.

Marine84
10-03-06, 08:31 PM
YOU picked the 3, right? Either one should be fine with you then - hope you made wise choices..................

WJason777
10-04-06, 10:45 AM
Yeah the one that i really wanted was 06xx. The only thing thats bothering me is the fact that he didnt put the job in my contract.

Marine84
10-04-06, 11:14 AM
then don't sign it............

WJason777
10-04-06, 12:37 PM
No, your not getting what i am saying, the recruiter told me that after i get sworn in at meps i will come back to the station and then we will site down and pick my job. When we sat down yesturday and he told me to pick three jobs that i like but put the one i would like the have the most first. After we did that he was like we shouldn't rush to pick the job because its not like i am shipping out today or something.I think hes trying to f**k me because those jobs are not in my contract. What i would like to know is, what am i suppost to do befor i go to boot camp so i would know for sure that the job it pick will be the job that i will get?

WJason777
10-13-06, 11:39 AM
anyone know any ideas?

cplbrooks
10-13-06, 11:59 AM
It could be that he is just waiting for a slot for the job you wanted. The list is updated every month.

WJason777
10-22-06, 06:08 PM
Ok, what must i do to change my shipdate to sometime January?