PDA

View Full Version : “Is that all you’re going to do with your life?”

thedrifter
08-23-06, 06:14 AM
August 21, 2006
“Is that all you’re going to do with your life?”

What do service members do?

Have you ever thought that or asked that? Some may have one idea in their mind about what service members do and others have something totally different. I began college and studied aerospace science and meteorology to assist my education in becoming a commercial airline pilot. After obtaining my private pilots license and perusing my instrument rating, I became interested in the Marine Corps. Working for United Express I applied for an USMC officer slot. To my surprise the response was we don’t need any 21 year old males to join our program, we have a list a mile long of them.

One of the only ways to be more competitive to enter the Marine Corps during Desert Shield/Storm was to enlist in the Marine Corps. That’s what I did in 1993. I became “Private B” and worked my up to Corporal before applying for again for the officer program and being commissioned in 1996.

To my surprise there are a lot of people out there who think our services are made up of people who couldn’t find a job else where and then turned to the military. Wow, did that surprise me. Especially, when my radio operator (a Corporal) back in 1997 was a college graduate and decided to become a Marine to serve his country. Since Sept 11, many highly qualified Americans have joined to serve and today is the foundation of our great military service. Another example is a very successful NY stock trader who I served with. He had plenty of money and a great career, but after Sept 11, he felt compelled to make a difference and now he fought along with me in Afghani and

Iraq

I guess I was taken back when recently a friend completed his basic military training and his girlfriend’s folks had the impression of “Is that all you’re going to do with your life?” Now our Americans of all ages are teaching Iraqi’s democracy. They are writing history instead of reading it. Yes, many are young but don’t mistake their youth for ignorance or that they were desperate in choosing a career. They are taking a civilization and showing them freedom. I couldn’t think of a greater role in history than that.

Semper Fi

For all those out there that answered the question:

“Is that all you’re going to do with your life?”

Capt B

Ellie