PDA

View Full Version : Hoosiers on the Front Lines

thedrifter
08-23-06, 02:22 AM
Hoosiers on the Front Lines, Pt 1

Aug 22, 2006 11:14 PM

By Karen Hensel
News 8 @ 11:00

In a 12,000 mile trip photojournalist Eric Miller and I will take you into four countries in the Middle East and Europe. First, News 8 cameras were there to document a history-making moment in the new Iraqi government.

As the sun rises, we boarded C-130 cargo planes for the one hour flight into Baghdad. We traveled with troops being deployed into Iraq.

We were embedded with a congressional delegation led by Indiana Congressman Steve Buyer who passed the time on board with troops playing cards.

Moments before landing bulletproof vests go on. A somber mood hit the troops as the plane gets quiet.

Once on the ground the delegation met with Commanding General George Casey.

"In the last 2 weeks we've seen things turn a little bit in Baghdad. Incidents are down and our operations going through the different majallahs and neighborhoods and clearing them out has been very well received by the Iraqi people," General Casey said.

In armored cars we traveled outside the green zone to the home of the Iraqi President.

This was the first time a sitting chairman and a member of the president's cabinet, veterans affairs secretary Jim Nicholson, traveled with a congressional delegation to Baghdad.

"That was an extremely important moment in their history," Buyer said.

24-Hour News 8 cameras were there to document the historic moment. It was also the first time the Iraqi President assembled his cabinet.

"They do understand their only option is success," Buyer said.

In a News 8 exclusive the Iraqi President granted a rare one on one interview.

What was your message to them? "I asked them to encourage American investment in Iraq. American companies to come to safe places, not just Baghdad," Iraqi president Jalal Talabani said.

How soon before your country stabilizes? "We have this plan, this will be implemented to help secure the country," Talabani said.

Your message to American troops and the American families at home? "We appreciation their sacrifices and their role in liberating Iraq," Talabani said.

"Fifteen years ago I was an Army captain and served in the first Gulf War. Little could I dream Mr. President that 15 years later I would be standing here as a guest of you in a free Iraq." Congressman Buyer said.

Wednesday on 24-Hour News 8 we'll travel deeper into Iraq with the congressional delegation in Balad and Fallujah.

We'll trace the steps of an injured soldier with Buyer and the Veterans Affairs staff from the battlefield to the ER. What we saw being offloaded with military patients is causing question.

Ellie