PDA

View Full Version : Important info on sending packages

criggleman
08-22-06, 09:24 PM
The US Postal Service is providing military family members and friends with packaging materials to send packages to service members. Call 1 (800) 610-8734, and select option #1, then #1 again, and ask for the "Military pack". Eight boxes, tape, packaging materials and labels will be mailed to those who call. They will also provide an I.D. number to re-order. Please allow 4 to 10 days to receive the materials. Take advantage of this great opportunity to show support to your loved ones overseas!

Osotogary
08-23-06, 12:46 AM
Thanks Criggleman for bringing this information to the forum, once again.
I have received the "MIlitary pack" on a couple of occasions and used everything provided. It really is a fine service the Postal Service is providing. My packages were delivered to my door.

iamcloudlander
08-23-06, 03:05 AM
Criggleman
A few weeks ago on the national news the postal service asked people to quit or slow down on the packages sent to the troops in Iraq and they showed at least two large warehouses packed to the rafters with undelivered packages. They said that the troops now could buy almost anything they needed in the new px's that had been set up in Iraq. What do you know about this? I quit sending any over there but now am not sure if I did the right thing.
How about a little heads up on this issue if you can.

WMAMI2
08-23-06, 04:15 PM
I still send boxes. Many of the Marines are at outposts and do not have ready access to the PX's. Many of the items they are requesting are not in the PX. We just had a Col return from Iraq and gave me a list of items requested that were verified as not available and hard to get. I have the contacts as well.
With so many "still" in warehouses why are they not distrubuting? Why leave them in a warehouse? On the custom forms it does show what to do with them if not deliverable. I always put deliver to: Chaplain or Any servicemember.

iamcloudlander
08-23-06, 10:12 PM
WMAM12
please do not think that I was saying not to send any packages to Iraq. I was only seeking some information on the sending of packages as pertained to the news cast I had seen. I did and do send things to the troops I just wanted to know--if in fact that they weren't getting them and did not think that mine or anyone else's packages were not getting to the troops and being stored in some warehouse. Sorry about the mis-understanding.

WMAMI2
08-24-06, 02:44 AM
I did understand what you are saying. I am not sure where this landslide of items are but I can tell you I send out about 200 boxes a month thru the group I founded, Operation Caring Friends, and they most certainly hit where they are going. I get many many letters back.
Rule of thumb is to know your contacts, know the return dates and keep in contact with them,

Mama
08-24-06, 06:42 AM
I've passed this information to all of my Military Parents and Family Yahoo groups...I'm surprised they hadn't heard of this yet!

We all ship so much LOL

Thanks Criggleman :)