PDA

View Full Version : Marine Recall

sgt.lane
08-22-06, 04:07 PM
Corps to Recall Marines in Individual Ready Reserve to Active Duty
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Marine Corps said Tuesday it has been authorized to recall thousands of Marines to active duty, primarily because of a shortage of volunteers for duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Up to 2,500 Marines will be brought back at any one time, but there is no cap on the total number of Marines who may be forced back into service in the coming years as the military battles the war on terror. The call-ups will begin in the next several months.

This is the first time the Marines have had to use the involuntary recall since the early days of the Iraq combat. The Army has ordered back about 14,000 soldiers since the start of the war.

Marine Col. Guy A. Stratton, head of the manpower mobilization section, estimated that there is a current shortfall of about 1,200 Marines needed to fill positions in upcoming unit deployments.

The call-up affects Marines in the Individual Ready Reserve, a segment of the reserves that consists mainly of those who left active duty but still have time remaining on their eight-year military obligation.

Generally, Marines enlist for four years, then serve the other four years either in the regular Reserves, where they are paid and train periodically, or they may elect to go into the IRR. Marines in the IRR are only obligated to report one day a year but can be involuntarily recalled to active duty.

jbrocatomarine
08-22-06, 07:59 PM
Why can't all Members of the IRR be called up, I'm older and can't be DEPLOYED but I can still serve MY COUNTRY, and MY CORPS, in a number of ways. And so can tens of thousands of Viet Nam era Marines,it would be a tremendous boost to our a manpower problem that we now face.

Gator5
08-22-06, 11:58 PM
Why doesn't the Corps do like the Army and up the age cap to 42? I'm 36 and cant get out there and play with the kids anymore, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with either my eyesight,nor my trigger finger. I would re-up just to keep a 2 or 3 timer from having to go back to the sandbox.

jebollenbach
08-23-06, 12:03 AM
I'm 45 and ready to serve

iamcloudlander
08-23-06, 01:49 AM
Hey guys I wrote a letter to the CMC a couple of years ago and suggested that he utilize the manpower pool of older former Marines. I laid out a plan that would free up thousands of young men (women) so as to make them available for combat. I explained that some of us are still in good shape--retired--with plenty of free time to help out. I even said that most especially the ones with a pension would probably do it on a voluntary basis for free
(me for one just to have something to do and feel useful again) I also explained that we would not be useful in the capacity of combat troops due to the high level of physical endurance required. I received a very nice letter in return that politely declined my offer with an explanation that since we had served our country honorably it was time for us to relax and let the youth carry the burden that we had once carried. The reason he stated that the Marines did not raise their age limit was that older persons could not stand the rigorous regimen that the Corps demanded of everyone. I hope this kind of lets you know how the Corps thinks of us older Marines "don't call us we'll call you if we need you--but don't hold your breath".